What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delabeled and cleaned some Sierra Nevada bottles. Discovered last night during my first bottling that the Laguinitas stubby bottles can't be capped with the red beauty/barron capper but Sierra Nevada's can.

Bottling my American honey orange wheat tonight.

What I did for Skeeter Pee today:

image-3811686204.jpg

Pitched two packets of Lalvin EC-1118 into half a gallon of lemonade and called it a starter.

Hope this works!

Delabeled and cleaned some Sierra Nevada bottles. Discovered last night during my first bottling that the Laguinitas stubby bottles can't be capped with the red beauty/barron capper but Sierra Nevada's can.

Bottling my American honey orange wheat tonight.

Just crank harder on it. I was able to bottle a full case with no problem, just more muscle. I thought the same thing my first bottle and was worried I would break them, but that wasn't the case.

Especially if you went through the time and trouble to clean and delabel more than a few.

Not really beer but i did this! An orange and cinnamon melomel OG 1.110 used some lalvin d47 so it should be pretty dry.

image-1080293403.jpg

Just crank harder on it. I was able to bottle a full case with no problem, just more muscle. I thought the same thing my first bottle and was worried I would break them, but that wasn't the case.

Especially if you went through the time and trouble to clean and delabel more than a few.

I only had 6 and I tried multiple times. I put a ton of force into it and the caps just didn't look right so I didn't want to risk wasting the beer if they weren't sealed properly. I think it's just that the second lip the capper grabs onto is too high. It isn't the end of the world...I thought the sierra nevada would be the same but they work well. That would've been 2 cases of saved bottles trashed.

Second go at bottling last night went so much more smoothly. I put the bottles in a plastic coke bottle rack and just went up and down the rows filling and placing the cap as I went. Then just capped them and put them into boxes.

Finished up my copper manifold last night. Meaning, cut the little slits in the tubes.

On to AG! :rockin:

cavemanbrews said:
Handed out three different styles of homebrew to my coworkers trying to broaden some horizons!

Awesome I try to do that as often as possible as well. Firemen are known for their BMC affinity and drinking capabilities. But surprisingly I have gotten almost universal thumbs up and encouragement from the guys at the house. Now if only I could convince the captain that beer isn't really an alcoholic substance until a couple weeks after the brewing I could brew in the firehouse . Would be nice to use that kitchen instead of mine. :rockin:

Dave37 said:
Awesome I try to do that as often as possible as well. Firemen are known for their BMC affinity and drinking capabilities. But surprisingly I have gotten almost universal thumbs up and encouragement from the guys at the house. Now if only I could convince the captain that beer isn't really an alcoholic substance until a couple weeks after the brewing I could brew in the firehouse . Would be nice to use that kitchen instead of mine. :rockin:

Don't ask Jamil for help on that front. I just listened to one of his ok podcasts where he says the liquid is called wort right up until the moment you pitch yeast. As soon as you pitch, it's alled beer.

Maybe you can work out a compromise and brew there, then transport it home for pitching and fermentation.

winvarin said:
Don't ask Jamil for help on that front. I just listened to one of his ok podcasts where he says the liquid is called wort right up until the moment you pitch yeast. As soon as you pitch, it's alled beer.

Maybe you can work out a compromise and brew there, then transport it home for pitching and fermentation.

Ahh man! Friggin Jamil always has to be the smart guy. :tank: haha would be nice who knows. Would hate to get a call for a fire with 10
Minutes left in the mash and have it mash gor 3 hours haha maybe a blessing in disguise bot being able to brew at work.

Brewed an All grain Pale Ale, ended up with six gallons. Took me six hours though. I wasn't very careful, during the vorlauf, and the first recirculation took about an hour.

I haven't completed my next task yet but I am getting ready to bottle Northern Brewer's Deadringer. I've heard and seen nothing but good things regarding this beer and the sample I tried when beginning the dry hop, looks to be 100% true.

I got some recently emptied bottles to clean,but that's about it. Been washing yeast the last couple days I had stored in the fridge till I could get a large enough jar to wash in. Hard to believe how much trub got washed out of some batches. I am finding out that it's best to wash the yeast right after adding boiled/cooled water to the fermenter to get the yeast out of it. I get flakes/clumps of yeast settling out if it sits in the fridge for more than a couple days before washing. Live & learn...

Speaking of those controllers,I wonder if I could use one to control a small room size a/c unit connected to a fermentation cabinet? I'm thinking of building one,& a small a/c unit seems to be the easiest way to get fermenter temp control in a cabinet sized to sit on top of my fermenter stand.

Speaking of those controllers,I wonder if I could use one to control a small room size a/c unit connected to a fermentation cabinet? I'm thinking of building one,& a small a/c unit seems to be the easiest way to get fermenter temp control in a cabinet sized to sit on top of my fermenter stand.

Thats what I did with my ferm chamber. I hooked the Johnson controller to a small 5000 btu a/c unit. Just make sure the a/c unit isn't digital.

Ok,thanks. I'll keep in mind I need an a/c unit with analog controls. Shouldn't cost too much for a small a/c unit. I'm going to build the cabinet out of 1/4" luan with 1x1's for the frame. I'm thinking of linng it with 1/2" cellotex for the thermo liner. A lil molding on the outside with honey oak Minwax should make it match the woodwork just fine.

Kegged 10 gallons of a Pumpkin ale, now to finish off the current kegs so i can start serving this one..

Just doing my part to keep the industry alive and well. Picked up some beers for a trade. And some just for me :D

I also whipped up a starter, for this weekends brew, I'm thinking India Red Ale. I made a 3L starter of WLP007, with plans to harvest half, so that I'm not spending all my dang money at the LHBS. Oh yea, and almost everything that could have gone wrong today... did. I needed to fix my stir plate that refuses to stay together. P.S. I really should just buy a 5L flask and save some trouble.

I've got my Maori IPA ready to drink & the first batch of Berlin wheat. The Berlin Lemonweisse has been in bottles 8 days today. Gotta fridge some more beers.

Got some bottles & my hydrometer tube to scrub up. Gotta clean some of my Libby's glasses from Aldi's. Next weekend,I'll be able to get a pic of my Berlin Wheat in the Libby's wheat beer glass for posting.

I bought a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler for a mashtun...let the all grain adventures begin....

seph said:
I bought a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler for a mashtun...let the all grain adventures begin....

Awesome.. Takes more time but i feel so much closer to my beers since i switched to all grain.. Haha

Staring at my starter of wlp007, it looks like a lava lamp, while its spinning...

Moved BM's Centennial Blond to secondary and threw it into the keezer to cold crash.

Washed yeast for the first time. Got two quarts of yeast in the fridge. Maybe I should get going on more blond...

Back