What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed an APA, a staple of summer for me. 2-row, vienna, a little crystal 40, and a bunch of Cascade.

Decided to do a split batch: WLP001 Cal Ale yeast in one, BRY-97 in the other. We'll see if I can taste the difference.

20230530_225857.jpg

IMG_0956.jpeg
IMG_0955.jpeg
IMG_0957.jpeg
The old beer fridge/kegerator/fermentation chamber died two weeks ago while away for work. I’ve been wanting to replace the fridge in our kitchen so I got the approval from the wife to order a new fridge over the Memorial Day weekend. It arrived today so I moved the beer and glasses into the old/new beer fridge tonight.
Now I need to move all the kegerator equipment over and pull out the additional hardware from the old fridge.

Cleaned, sanitized, and purged the keg that will receive the latest pressure-fermented lager later this afternoon. Yesterday moved the brewstand out (it's a heavy mother, about 200lbs of angle iron on wheels) to clean out behind it and scrub the floor. I spot mop after a brewday, but there were some sticky spots that needed the deck brush. Will be nice next brewday when my flipflops don't stick to the floor. Right now trying to decide what to brew this weekend; will either be another cream ale (current favorite recipe) or maybe something with a lot of Munich. New fermzilla is currently empty, and begging to be filled with something yummy.

Yeast is amazing. Today for beer, I bottled 10 gallons of an all mosaic brut IPA. I mashed and boiled a single batch but experimented with fermentation. The top picture was fermented with WLP001. The bottom picture was fermented with US-05. Both had similar FG but visually they look way different and taste way different also. The US-05 had a slight sulfur taste which I had not detected before as this has been my go to yeast for this recipe. We will see what both taste like in a few weeks after it has carbonated in bottles.
70725537068__449E0ADD-48D9-4A42-9E0A-E2F1990BEEB3.jpeg

IMG_8921.jpeg

Took a ride to our not-so-local lhbs to pick up a few items for the Ballantine IPA clone recipe I'm working on, then returned home to get a big 1056 starter going from a smack pack born just over a week ago on May 23 2023. Gotta be the darkest starter I've ever started, don't know what to make of it, we'll see what happens...

1056_31may23.jpg

Cheers!

Brewed a 4 gal batch of Mosaic Blonde. It’s just my house Blonde Ale but with all Mosaic instead of Magnum and Willamette. 4.5 gal into the fermenter @1.040. Beersmith predicted .044 but who’s counting…

My 1949 Hotpoint ferm fridge is just the right size for 2 Better Bottles.
7FC6082B-9E0E-44FA-8137-9512678004A6.jpeg

Decanted the crashed starter and got the second spin going...
View attachment 821473

Would like to brew Sunday but it's gonna be tight...

Cheers!
Day_Trippr, do you use ferm cap on your starter? Cuz you are way high on that starter to not be scared of the krausen pushing that foam off lol. I cant do a 2.5L starter cuz im afraid itll push off , its happened a few times already.

Cleaned the Kegerator, beer lines, checked FG on Blue Moon clone, 1.004, finished at 6.2...strange, should have finished around 5.6 ? Transferred fermenter to Kegerator to cold crash @34° for a few days to see if I need to do any further finning. Look pretty clear in the tube though. Taste good, a tad too much orange peel but I think that will mellow out.

Attachments

• IMG_20230602_185813082.jpg
    IMG_20230602_185813082.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 0
Have my tail between my legs the last two days. 2nd pressure fermented lager got kegged, tasted fine right before crashing; after kegging, and force carbing, can only describe the taste as yuck. Acetaldehyde out the wazoo. My impatient self probably took it off the yeast too soon. So, degassed the keg, warmed it up, threw some dry yeast in there, and letting it sit for a few days with a spunding valve on it to see if that helps; it did for another one last year that had the same issue. Today, to make myself feel better, milled grain for a simple Cascade Blonde I will brew tomorrow morning. Got the brewery set up to the point where all I have to do in the morning is crack the garage door for ventilation and turn on the burner; water already in the BK (I do BIAB). First time in a long time not starting with water from the oh-so-convenient water heater in the garage. Filled my HLT with water from the sink, wheeled it out to the garage on one of my fabulous furniture dollies, and pumped it into the BK. Why don't I just use the HLT for BIAB, you ask? Well...it's complicated. Would have to install a bent diptube, and the HLT is just so darned shiny I don't want to mess it up.

Day_Trippr, do you use ferm cap on your starter?

I do indeed. I boil the starter water in a pot, set the pot in the sink, add 3 drops of Fermcap, give the water a good stir, add the DME and nutes, then lid and chill until it's safe for the e-flask. The Fermcap keeps the DME from blowing up in the pot, and also keeps the wort & krausen in the e-flask :)

Cheers!

I roused my dry hop charge in my West Coast IPA with C02 and brewed an American Pale Ale with the yeast I harvested from it.

The APA is 100% HBC 586 hops so I'm interested to see how that turns out.
I did a 2.5g batch a couple of weeks ago using only HBC586; very happy with that hop. I only did flameout and dry hop, the flavor is very light citrus with a hint of pineapple and peach.

After brewday was done this morning, husband and I went to our friend's brewpub in Auburn; haven't seen him in a while. Had a good time, tasted some great beers, talked about old times, and as sometimes happens when I visit, he unloaded some free stuff on me. Today it was 1.5lbs of Saaz hops that he has a ton of, and two 5lb jars of local honey that I have been commanded to turn into mead. One is a copper-barrel aged, the other is habanero-infused. Going to do the barrel-aged one tomorrow, once that comes off the lees I'll run back to the pub to borrow one of his 3g glass carboys for the habanero; not ruining one of my plastic carboys with that! All of the habanero will go back to my friend for his consumption, after saving one bottle for the husband; they like spicy stuff, I do not. A good day.

Kegged my American Light Lager I brewed a few weeks back, did not get the higher attenuation I was hoping for but got close. Tasted good warm possible a bit too much hops flavor for the style but maybe if it gets judged ice cold it will be less noticeable.

Also brewed a 4gal of base beer I turned into two 2gal batches. One I added more sugar to the base to make a Australian Sparkling Ale and the other half added less sugar to get a Best Bitter. Fermenting the sparkling ale with wlp009 Australian Ale and the best bitter is getting fermented with wlp038 Manchester ale yeast.

Have my tail between my legs the last two days. 2nd pressure fermented lager got kegged, tasted fine right before crashing; after kegging, and force carbing, can only describe the taste as yuck. Acetaldehyde out the wazoo. My impatient self probably took it off the yeast too soon. So, degassed the keg, warmed it up, threw some dry yeast in there, and letting it sit for a few days with a spunding valve on it to see if that helps; it did for another one last year that had the same issue. Today, to make myself feel better, milled grain for a simple Cascade Blonde I will brew tomorrow morning. Got the brewery set up to the point where all I have to do in the morning is crack the garage door for ventilation and turn on the burner; water already in the BK (I do BIAB). First time in a long time not starting with water from the oh-so-convenient water heater in the garage. Filled my HLT with water from the sink, wheeled it out to the garage on one of my fabulous furniture dollies, and pumped it into the BK. Why don't I just use the HLT for BIAB, you ask? Well...it's complicated. Would have to install a bent diptube, and the HLT is just so darned shiny I don't want to mess it up.
Update on the PF lager. It was in the ferment fridge at 68 for two days, yesterday had to take it out because new beer went in. Had planned to leave it a few more days, but I'm bored this morning and decided to give it a taste. Acetaldehyde ALL gone, just a nice tasty beer left behind. Into the kegerator it went to chill, then carbonate again. Glad I gave it a shot!

Hit a neighbor's estate sale. Talked myself out of the Fairlane 500 Fastback project, bought this instead.
IMG_4434.JPG

EDIT:
Checked the kegerator: holding at 34F, so upped the CO2 to 10PSI in the hopes of a future perfect pour. I had to pull a pint of the Red Rye IPA just to make sure.

Tasted the Blackberry SauvBlanc and it's amazing, if a little undercarbed, maybe another week.
Tasted the Motueka Pilsner and when it was flat and cold it was lemon. Now with the bite of CO2, it's lime rind, and the hop bitterness come through at the end. So, so perfect. Now if only we could get some sun.
Tasted the Smoked Porter which is still in the fermenter because I don't have time to keg it yet. It's going to be really good in the fall.

Last edited:
Hit a neighbor's estate sale. Talked myself out of the Fairlane 500 Fastback project, bought this instead.View attachment 821637

EDIT:
Checked the kegerator: holding at 34F, so upped the CO2 to 10PSI in the hopes of a future perfect pour. I had to pull a pint of the Red Rye IPA just to make sure.

Tasted the Blackberry SauvBlanc and it's amazing, if a little undercarbed, maybe another week.
Tasted the Motueka Pilsner and when it was flat and cold it was lemon. Now with the bite of CO2, it's lime rind, and the hop bitterness come through at the end. So, so perfect. Now if only we could get some sun.
Tasted the Smoked Porter which is still in the fermenter because I don't have time to keg it yet. It's going to be really good in the fall.
That Pilsner sounds delicious

Brewed a Czech-ish lager today, the day went smooth with no issues, I am using a wlp815 Belgian lager yeast so that is why it is an -ish. I hope the results are better than the last time I brewed this recipe. Last time I only did a 60min boil and got some DMS , then wlp802 Czech Budejovice left some diacetyl so it ended up with a funky sour milk smell.

Random forces working against my best plans (pressure tank for the well breached its air bladder) so had to punt brew day back, but did have time to build up my 1318 stock from my last stored jar...

1318_starter_6jun23_1.jpg
1318_starter_6jun23_2.jpg

and to cook the hop resins out my crusty Hop Stopper V2 with a hot PBW soak.

hopstopper_fry.jpg

New bladder should arrive tomorrow. Allowing for the afternoon to change it in I'm planning on brewing Wednesday now...

Cheers!

Back