What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I didn't do much for beer today, but I did something for my sanity. I bought this little wheely cart to hold all the little nuts and bolts of home brewing so everything's in one place on brew/bottle day (I am limited to taking over the kitchen and don't have a dedicated brew space). Roll it in and out of the closet as needed....

1.jpg

Husband decided that the best way to take care of our IRS debt (once again, do NOT cash out your 401k kids, 'i told you so' is now a part of my daily vocabulary) is to trade in the big-ass truck we bought last year. Dealership will give him plenty for it, and we'll put a bit down on something more financially feasible. All that to say, I got to fill the grain bins today, as far as I could. LHBS didn't get pilsner in his latest shipment, so I got a full bag of two-row, and 10lbs each of Munich 10 and white wheat. Then stopped at the local hardware store for two oxygen bottles. When I got home I tapped the 2g porter I brewed 2 weeks ago, and sipping on it now. Needs a bit more time but it's very tasty and pretty.

Pouring beer down the drain. Don’t shed a tear it’s all way past it’s prime and new tasty beer will go into the bottles after a good cleaning.
892D68F4-2987-4980-8476-289A4DEE3DBE.jpeg

Good bye back IPA, sorry we didn’t drink you. You still have great head retention and considerable flavor despite your age, but it’s time for you to go.

2nd week with a brew day! Please don't tell my boss I have this much free time on my days off.

Kegged last week's Red Rye IPA, putting a Smoked Porter on top of the cake today. Finished swapping all of the hoses and cleaning the kegerator I picked up from @Muneio. Holding temp at 35F, I love it! Also, enjoying a Troegs from @TBC's beer share. I have never had one of their beers and this is great for Flame-Out!
IMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4284.JPG

Cleaning up the brewery this morning after yesterday's No-Chill Wit. Not a great idea to do no-chill on the first 75°+ of the year; didn't cool down to pitching temp until about 10:30pm, and brewday was done about 10am. I'm usually a clean-as-I-go person, and yesterday I just said the heck with it and left EVERYTHING dirty. Didn't take long, another reason to be ashamed of myself; an extra 30 minutes yesterday and I could have been brewing a small batch this morning.

Brewed one!

PXL-20230501-115552997.jpg

PXL-20230501-120459749-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL-20230501-121722885-PORTRAIT.jpg

West Coast DIPA I've been meaning to do for a few weeks now.

Mixture of Golden Promise and Pilsner base, with about 8% Munich II, a touch of CaraPils and Crystal T50, and some Golden Naked Oats.
Bittered with CO2 extract (first time I've used it for bittering), and 15/10/5 minute additions of 10g each Cryo Centennial and Mosaic.
30g each Cryo Centennial and Cryo Mosaic in the whirlpool, along with 7ml each of Incognito of those varietals.

Copitching Lallemand West Coast and Notty.

Poured at the Southern Vermont "Winter" homebrew fest in Bennington over the weekend. This was the 3rd time they've implemented a "best professionally judged beer" award, and yours truly has won every time!:

Best Professionally Judged Beverage:
1st:
Whole Nother Level Brewing: Storming near the Baltic, Baltic Porter

2nd:
Marshall Mash Brew Lab: A Little Fuzzy Brett Saison
3rd:
Intolerance Brewing: Van Doos Joos, NEIPA

It was an interesting day, with the following saga offered for your entertainment :)

Mixed up a fresh batch of Star San, cleaned a couple of kegs, and checked on the fermentations going on. In my wanderings I happened to notice a wet spot on the floor of my utility room which is directly off the brewery space. Said wet spot was under the well pump pressure switch, which sits atop a 1/4" brass NPT nipple screwed into the input to our 30 gallon pressure tank. Put just a whisper of pressure on the switch to see if the nipple would screw in any tighter when the whole thing sheared right the **** off, erupting in a geyser of water that caught me square in the face. Holy cow!

So I have my thumb over the hole and I've effectively stopped the gusher. I'm totally soaked head to slippers, and The Spousal Unit is out fetching groceries. I was able to reach the shutoff for the pump and flipped that off, and was also able to reach the bypass valves for each of the 50 gallon water treatment tanks (neutralizer and media filter), all without taking my thumb off the hole. Also was able to toss a coiled hose that I keep connected inside the utility room into the sink in the brew space just outside the utility room doorway, intending to use it to drain the system down until the pressure tank was completely relieved. Unfortunately the hose has a shutoff valve screwed on the far end and I couldn't reach that without letting go of the geyser for five seconds - which was about five more gallons of water shooting straight up and actually splashing the ceiling. ****!

Ok, now I'm back on the geyser hole waiting for the system pressure to bottom as the hose in the sink does its thing, and I'm kneeling in a good inch of water spread throughout the 10x6 foot space. The one thing going for me is the rooms surrounding the utility room have raised floors a couple of inches thick above the slab while the utility room floor is bare concrete. So the water is mostly staying inside the room though slowly seeping outwards through the wall framing and trying to leak out under the raised floors. As soon as the pressure bottoms I closed all of the system ball valves to keep water where it was, then ran out to the garage and grabbed our wet vac, ran it back to the utility room, and started vacuuming all the water. Got that done, rolled the vac back to the garage, then grabbed three 20" box fans out of storage and got them fired up drying out what was wet.

At that point everything was more or less stabilized, so I changed into dry clothes then drove to our local Aubuchon Hardware 3 miles away and picked up a 1/4 MPT x 3" brass nipple - because nobody carries stainless steel nipples that size, aside from a Grangers store 30 miles away. Extracted the broken stub, taped and installed the new nipple and screwed the pressure switch on, tightened everything down then fired up the pump circuit. After flushing the system 'til it ran clean I put everything back to "normal positions".

This is the second time this has happened since we had the well drilled back in 2010, and this one is on me, as I should have replaced the original failed brass nipple with a stainless steel model instead of another brass one that failed today. At least I have ordered an SS nipple now, and I intend to shut the system down and replace the brass one when the SS nipple gets here. Not going through this a third time, dammit!

I so need a beer!

Cheers!

Excuse me sir, but this is the "what I did for beer today" thread. I believe you're looking for the "what I did for my house today" thread, which isn't even on this forum as far as I know.

Seriously though, anybody want to try to follow that?

edit - I cleaned a bunch of bottles so I can condition my brut ipa tomorrow.

It was an interesting day, with the following saga offered for your entertainment :)

Mixed up a fresh batch of Star San, cleaned a couple of kegs, and checked on the fermentations going on. In my wanderings I happened to notice a wet spot on the floor of my utility room which is directly off the brewery space. Said wet spot was under the well pump pressure switch, which sits atop a 1/4" brass NPT nipple screwed into the input to our 30 gallon pressure tank. Put just a whisper of pressure on the switch to see if the nipple would screw in any tighter when the whole thing sheared right the **** off, erupting in a geyser of water that caught me square in the face. Holy cow!

So I have my thumb over the hole and I've effectively stopped the gusher. I'm totally soaked head to slippers, and The Spousal Unit is out fetching groceries. I was able to reach the shutoff for the pump and flipped that off, and was also able to reach the bypass valves for each of the 50 gallon water treatment tanks (neutralizer and media filter), all without taking my thumb off the hole. Also was able to toss a coiled hose that I keep connected inside the utility room into the sink in the brew space just outside the utility room doorway, intending to use it to drain the system down until the pressure tank was completely relieved. Unfortunately the hose has a shutoff valve screwed on the far end and I couldn't reach that without letting go of the geyser for five seconds - which was about five more gallons of water shooting straight up and actually splashing the ceiling. ****!

Ok, now I'm back on the geyser hole waiting for the system pressure to bottom as the hose in the sink does its thing, and I'm kneeling in a good inch of water spread throughout the 10x6 foot space. The one thing going for me is the rooms surrounding the utility room have raised floors a couple of inches thick above the slab while the utility room floor is bare concrete. So the water is mostly staying inside the room though slowly seeping outwards through the wall framing and trying to leak out under the raised floors. As soon as the pressure bottoms I closed all of the system ball valves to keep water where it was, then ran out to the garage and grabbed our wet vac, ran it back to the utility room, and started vacuuming all the water. Got that done, rolled the vac back to the garage, then grabbed three 20" box fans out of storage and got them fired up drying out what was wet.

At that point everything was more or less stabilized, so I changed into dry clothes then drove to our local Aubuchon Hardware 3 miles away and picked up a 1/4 MPT x 3" brass nipple - because nobody carries stainless steel nipples that size, aside from a Grangers store 30 miles away. Extracted the broken stub, taped and installed the new nipple and screwed the pressure switch on, tightened everything down then fired up the pump circuit. After flushing the system 'til it ran clean I put everything back to "normal positions".

This is the second time this has happened since we had the well drilled back in 2010, and this one is on me, as I should have replaced the original failed brass nipple with a stainless steel model instead of another brass one that failed today. At least I have ordered an SS nipple now, and I intend to shut the system down and replace the brass one when the SS nipple gets here. Not going through this a third time, dammit!

I so need a beer!

Cheers!
Sounds like you had a Craptastic Monday! You deserve a sixer!

I ordered a bunch of stuff to complete next phase of my keezer set up. Phase 1 was just getting a chest cooler and kegs. Started out using picnic taps. Just ordered enough stuff to get set up with a collar and faucet. Just need to find time.

Phase three will be a ways down the road (I said that about phase 1 and 2) - planning a woodworking project to build a bar around the keezer.

Not the level of disaster day trippr had but transferred a neipa for a dry hop keg to serving key and had a brain fart and dump the remains from the dry hop keg in a basement sink that I frequently have draining problems with. Pulled the filter from the lift pump/sump. That didn’t help. Took apart the whole drain and cleaned it. Then finished cleaning the keg

View attachment 818896View attachment 818897
A few days ago I bottled this primed cider, and the soda bottle was pretty firm today so time to pasteurize. I’m glad I’m posting because I forgot to put that swing top in the bath. Now it’s in the fridge. Whew.
Dang, I have one of those sous vide sticks in the pantry. Was trying to figure out how to pasteurize the bottles...😔

On the smart side of things I am multitasking today brewing a hefeweizen while also working on a PCB design.

Last edited:
Dang, I have one of those sous vide sticks in the pantry. Was trying to figure out how to pasteurize the bottles...😔

On the smart side of things I am multitasking today brewing a hefeweizen while also working on a PCB design.
When I was a novice brewer and had no sous vide I attempted to do it on the stove top… total disaster.

I started with the bottles in the bath no need for over kill temps that could degrade the flavors. Next week I’ll see how I did!

I got a late start brewing yesterday, flame out a little after midnight. So, cleaning up today, expect to be pitching yeast in another hour after an over cool, it’s not quite there, but ice bags tied to the kettle is helping. 😂

View attachment 818896View attachment 818897
A few days ago I bottled this primed cider, and the soda bottle was pretty firm today so time to pasteurize. I’m glad I’m posting because I forgot to put that swing top in the bath. Now it’s in the fridge. Whew.

What temp/time do you use?

Oh, to stay on topic: "I replied to a post to ask about pasteurizing cider"

Husband is taking off for Reno this weekend to bowl the Nationals tournament, so need to decide how to occupy my time. Last year he got me one of those 2oz sampler packs from YVH in cans; just pulled them all out from the bottom of the hop freezer (who uses 2oz of 8 different hops? Not me....yet). 3g fermonster is free, so I'm going to play around with one of them. Thinking a simple grain bill of 90/10 two-row/carapils, and nothing but late hops. One of the cans is HBC 586, going to do 1oz at flameout and 1oz dry hop in a 2.5g batch. If nothing else will be fun. The Wit I brewed last weekend is still chugging along so no 'big' brew this weekend, but I need to keep with the tradition of brewing on Big Brew Day.

Obligatory Content: Checked the fermenting gravity on my two current batches - at 5 AM. They're both continuing to move in the right direction.

Then...drove into Boston for my surgical date, which went so well I was in and out in half the booked time, and they didn't carve me up bad enough to install a drain :ban: Spousal Unit drove us home while I was enjoying the single Oxycodone they gave me. Hoping I don't have to hit my stash too hard, you darn near have to bring a gun to get a narcotics 'script these days and the team wasn't offering any.

Anyway, have to keep this contraption on 24/7 for two weeks before I can start trying to bend that knee. Aside from drawing a pour I don't think it's compatible with any phase of my brewing efforts - can't even draw an SG sample now - so it's chillin' time for me :)

chillin_time.jpg

Cheers!

Obligatory Content: Checked the fermenting gravity on my two current batches - at 5 AM. They're both continuing to move in the right direction.

Then...drove into Boston for my surgical date, which went so well I was in and out in half the booked time, and they didn't carve me up bad enough to install a drain :ban: Spousal Unit drove us home while I was enjoying the single Oxycodone they gave me. Hoping I don't have to hit my stash too hard, you darn near have to bring a gun to get a narcotics 'script these days and the team wasn't offering any.

Anyway, have to keep this contraption on 24/7 for two weeks before I can start trying to bend that knee. Aside from drawing a pour I don't think it's compatible with any phase of my brewing efforts - can't even draw an SG sample now - so it's chillin' time for me :)

View attachment 819265

Cheers!
Be well! May you have a speedy and full recovery.

I just swore vociferously at Murphy. You know, that guy with the stupid law. Getting the brewery cleaned and prepped for BBD tomorrow, poured a glass of the current Marzen. Damn, it's a bit foamy. Let's look at the co2 tank gauge. EMPTY. It was fine the other day, I swear, and only two weeks ago I weighed it to make sure it was still good. Only place to get it exchanged on the weekend is the LHBS, currently closed. There's enough co2 in the kegs to pour tonight, but not enough for the kegging I planned to do, unless I hook up the 5lb tank; and until I'm sure there's no leaks (empty one is a 20lber that was put on 12/13/22, should have had plenty left) I'm not going to risk the only co2 I have in the house. Dammit!!!!

*edit Oh, and forgot to add this; that glass of Marzen I poured? Set it on the kitchen table while I sussed out the co2 issue. Here comes curious cat; SPLAT goes the marzen (plastic glass at least), and of COURSE it dripped off the table onto the wifi extender. This is NOT my day.

Well…

1) I prepped for brewing tomorrow (maybe Sunday). Got grain milled. Prepped water. Measured out boil and whirlpool hops (trying to make brew day less chaotic)

Then

2) started on a rough keezer collar. I started brewing this year and first said “I’m not kegging for a year. Then read about brewing neipas and I bought kegs and a freezer. Then I said ok just a freezer and picnic taps for a while. Then realized that’s a pain and got everything to have a real Keezer. Threw this together tonight (maybe had a bit more homebrew then I should have for wood working). I just want this functional and doesn’t have to look pretty. Planning a Keezer bar woodworking project next winter (I don’t do much summer woodworking). It’s a bit rough but it will work. Start finishing it tomorrow hopefully during mash and boil.
IMG_3115.jpeg

Back