What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged a CCC IPA (Centennial, Cascade, Citra). 5.8%, 60 IBU. It’s lurking in my ferm fridge, waiting for one of the kegs that keep on giving in the kegerator to kick.
09CD780A-DA97-4799-B198-B3C0BB03C10A.jpeg

Also cleaned the taps and beer lines, for when Jolly Big Red , The Big Guy , alias Nickky C, drops in Christmas Eve. He and his muscle , Da Elves 12, might want to quench their thirst
I taught all of my kids from the very first christmas' they participated in that Santa and gang would need a beer a lot more than the milk and cookies other kids put out.

1640229100872.png

well i brewed a batch, and this is my first batch with a fancy air lock with a gauge to tell how active it is ;) hopefully it jumps over to the keg when it's done on it's own!

and spare me, i know i need a house keeper, but i'm a single guy! and i have really hard water! that is a fermenter that had 3psi of 170f water in it for 1 hour! and it was washed, and that just dried up on the side.....lol

That's looks like a contraption from a military bio-hazard storage facility 😳. Are you fermenting beer in there or mixing up mustard gas ? 😳😳

it's my attempt at spunding and pressure fermenting...it holds 5-6 psi.... cost a fortune, but it's sturdy 304 SS. everyone told me spunding is fun? figured i'd give it a shot....

Went to the LHBS to get some Brewers Best flavor extract. Since the spiced Xmas ale is a brown ale, I thought maybe I might add a touch of Pecan, a tad of peach Texas style and maybe a drop or 2 of cranberry..festive season and all. Pecan and peach extract taste ok. Cranberry...i don't know what it is but it Ain't cranberry !!! Good God I think the factory got their orders mixed up cause it taste just like Robitussin !! Even my wife said it was Robitussin in a blind taste test. I'm so glad I did a taste test before I tried to push carbonated cough syrup on my family guest at Christmas!!! 😯

Haven't updated in a bit:
So over the last week or two I've kicked the porter, put the imperial stout on, cold crashed and kegged the schwarzbier, and increased the temp on the weizenbock. Right now the doppelbock is taking up the extra space lagering in the back of my kegerator, but ideally I need to get the schwarzbier in there as well somehow (fortunately it's fairly chilly in my breezeway, so it should be fine for now).

Kegged a hoppy Blonde Ale, and then bottled our Port and Traditional Mead.

The Port (vinted 8/2020) worked out to be 20% with some vanilla and caramel notes from the barrel aging, not too sweet; the alcohol is a little hot, but should mellow in time as it was Everclear that we used to boost the ABV to dessert wine status. The Mead (brewed 4/2020) is 15%, still, and also a little alcohol front-forward, but again, expecting it to balance out over time.

I bottled the wines using kegs and CO2 to push out into the bottle; picnic tap and broken bottle filler worked like a charm!

IMG_1658.JPG

Last edited:
The Port (vinted 8/20) worked out to be 20% with some vanilla and caramel notes from the barrel aging, not too sweet; the alcohol is a little hot, but should mellow in time as it was Everclear that we used to boost the ABV to dessert wine status. The Mead (brewed 4/20) is 15%, still, and also a little alcohol front-forward, but again, expecting it to balance out over time.

is this like meet the fockers? "if it's yellow let it mellow" :mug: sounds like you're working on being the next oil barron and making go juice! ;)

Started carbing my 11 month old blackberry semi dry melomel. It's tasting Gooood. Next I'll do the raspberry. If you remember, I made 3 melomels right after new years. The 3rd is a one gallon batch of still mixed berry. The other two are 5 gals in cornies. This was an experiment to use 10 year old Gall Berry honey to make a semi dry melomel. I predicted it to take until Xmas and WaaLaa. Both 5ers have had initial doses of co2 and will both have 24 hrs on co2 before Santa arrives. And with a fresh keg of IPA on tap its gonna be a good Xmas.

Last edited:
Went to LHBS and weighed out everything for Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. I usually email the order in and pick it up.

Added a tip when I signed for the bill…not sure why as I did all the work and NOBODY greeted me at the door, much less offered to help me. Next time somebody hints that I’m crabby…I’m going to smack them…with a big ol bag of grain!! Merry Xmas to the cashier I guess!! 🎅🎄🎅

Hung out at attached tap room, had a couple of beers including an oatmeal stout for inspiration, or perhaps a confidence booster for the brew day. 👍🍻

Installed the hook in the rafter for tomorrow's inaugural BIAB batch with new wilserbrewer bag. Later will get grain milled, and also drop the dry hop in the Bunch o' Hops IPA I brewed last weekend. Right now relaxing after a long day at work, where I cooked lunch for my coworkers in the instant pot (for those who have one I HIGHLY recommend the website pressureluck.com), and got plenty of sh*t done. Got a tasty glass of my latest blonde on my table and my trusty brewdog behind me on my chair. It's a hard life, but somebody's gotta live it.

Husband and I traditionally do our gifts for each other on Christmas Eve. THIS is what he surprised me with this year, I am amazeballs. It's meant to hang in the garage but it looks so nice on the wall in the living room, it's gonna stay there. Merry Christmas all!

View attachment 753302

i haven't follow that close to you...but i assume you'll be getting a 5 gallon barrel and spunding in it from now on? :mug:

edit: something like this...only with a cool adapted spunding valve!

https://freedomoakbarrels.com/produ...prOxOhf6IgM_zbPKjixcnjAQYLpw8HphoCiFMQAvD_BwE

Watched the snow dump down all day yesterday, and today working from home since my most excellent boss cares about our well-being. We get snow so rarely (and even rarer to have more than 5", accompanied by sub-freezing temperatures), the entire region is pretty much shut down for a couple of days. Since the container ports look to be closed, it's gonna be a short day; so might keg off my latest IPA and maybe brew something else...

2nd day in a row working from home, and based on the forecast it will be all week. Racked the no-chill Pale onto a yeast cake late last night, this morning it's in my ferment fridge going absolutely nuts. Today we already shut down the drivers due to ice & snow at the ports, so will get some laundry done and test the WF lager from the 24th; fridge has been on all night trying to keep yesterday's batch cool so we might have a CF lager on our hands, or it might be done, or just leave it. Once noon hits I'm off the clock, and glory be have a full kegerator, so will quaff some while watching the dogs play in the snow. Youngest one (just under 2 years old) had never seen snow before, and thinks it's the neatest thing she's ever seen.

I have been waiting on the correct stem from local gas dealers and the LHBS, but no dice. Apparently the stem I need is still on a boat somewhere off San Pedro/Long Beach. So I ordered the part I need to turn a Nitrogen regulator into CO2 from AIH. Learned some new stuff about regulators: LHT/CCW & RHT/CW. Once it comes in, I will be able to have a 2nd CO2 system in my aging/lagering box so my pipeline will be ready to drink when kegs in the keezer tap out, also eliminating the need to force carbonate, I hope.

That's actually what inspired me to use pecan and peach. Now, truth be told, not knocking my beloved Shiner Bock. But mine is pretty root'N Toot'N good !!!
I'm sure it is better than the inspiration! Whist Shiner has a soft spot in my palate, a single six pack of their peach and pecan was enough for me.

I wish I had planned ahead and done a cyser about 2 weeks ago so I could really apple jack it right now. I had a couple of fermenters and a keg outside with star san solutions that are frozen solid after the snow dump and frigid temps here in the Seattle area. Not complaining as the snowboarding has been righteous. Only trouble is yesterday the ski area dropped below 20F, and is gonna stay that way a few days. Less than 20F takes away the fun factor in my book.

So, may not brew until tomorrow as I lack any fermenters at the moment.

Watching the 2nd solid day of rain with a touch of bittersweet in my heart. We need the rain, it is SoCal after all, but all of my projects require the garage door open and me moving in and out of the weather.

Guess the only thing I can do for beer today is drink it. It's a sacrifice, I know, but sometimes these sacrifices need to be made for the betterment of all.

Brewed up an AK with the Manchester yeast gifted by someone on these forums. Transferred my first attempted at using a red wine kit from the primary to secondary with oak chips.

Prepped the grist and yeast for a Beamish Stout tomorrow if I decide not to go snowboarding in the afternoon. Given the snow and potentially lack of power in the Seattle area, not looking that good for the snowboarding. Snow is falling again here.

Also, started a WLP775 English Cider yeast starter for a split batch cyser experiment ready to go tomorrow as well.

Cleaned out all the various and sundry carboys.

Since my last update: kegged the weizenbock, which in turn freed up space in my fermentation chamber to properly lager the schwarzbier. Also installed a 3-way gas manifold, for a couple reasons. Though I have a 2-tap kegerator, I can fit 3 kegs in my kegerator (putting the 3rd on a picnic tap) and didn't want to be swapping the connections. Additionally, I have a dual-gauge regulator, so the other line is free to be used exclusively for counter-pressure filling bottles, again, without swapping stuff around, which has always been such a pain.

Back