What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1528582123.948321.jpg

Brewed a starter for my English ale. Finally ready to break out the new setup! Will update tomorrow with brewday pics

Cleaned up my brewing supplies shelf, and added 3 pounds of berries (blackberries and raspberries) to an oatmeal brown. Having a sample bottle of my oatmeal, chocolate, coffee stout (with 1lb each of local honey, and black strap molasses). It's excellent!
All of that sounds good. I've thought about doing a banana brown ale, but then decided it's needed to be chocolate banana stout.

I might have to do a wheat with a bunch of sour cherries too.

Just finished up a batch of House SMasH IPA and am trying to motivate myself to clean so I can brew up a lager in the morning...pipeline is low so need to step up my game. All I've got left to do is rinse the tun, the kettle, and the bags. Keggle is soaking in PBW (just bought some today, looking forward to seeing how well it does) and will just need a good rinse in the morning. I need a nap.

Checked on last nights brew, bubbling along slowly snf holding temp at 20C+/- 0.2
It is US-05 and my last few brews have been S-04 and a M33 so much more aggressive start than the US-05 but its up and going. The batch will be dry hopped once the fermentation is over with more Motueka hops. A nice fresh batch at 7.2AA

I had left the doors on my fermentation chamber open since the last brew so it didn't get smelly and when I checked on the brew a cockroach came out the door... Oh well couldn't harm the well sealed up fermentor. I will have to check more throughly in future though. it was hiding between the blocks of wood i sit the head pad on.

My son and I bottled about 240 22oz bottles of three batches we brewed three weeks ago at Saugatuck Brewing. Good people; good beer. It was fun using professional equipment. Makes it easy to long for stuff I can neither afford nor find find room for.

Kegged my Pale Ale tonight. Half with WLP001 and have with a 50/50 blend of WY1318 & OYL-052. I’ll set the regulator to 12psi and when I return home on Saturday I hope they will be carbed enough to toss in the kegerator that morning and enjoy in the afternoon.

Cleaning kegs (used as fermenters) now. I may just fill them with hot water and finish in the morning. It’s freaking midnight already.

I also brew with my son. It’s pretty cool that we can do it together. Definitely adds to the enjoyment.
I brew with my son's as much as I possibly can. I have 6 boys, so I'm never without a brewing partner. My big problem now is; I'm out of fermentor space now, so I'm not brewing for the next couple of weeks...

New fermentation fridge all set up and working great! IPA brewed yesterday is happy at 64, and the carboy on the bottom is waiting for the warm-fermented lager mashing right now. Yay for new house fridge giving me this huge upgrade to my process!
20180610_060834[1].jpg
20180610_060820[1].jpg

I just got home from a work related trip. I was gone for less than 30 hours, but my fermenting Citra IPA didn't care. Hop reissue got into the airlock, and built up enough pressure to blow the lid off of my bucket fermentor. Lucky for me, my oldest son knew what to do and got the lid back on, but left the mess for my tired butt to clean when I got home. I used S-04 that I harvested and washed 2 days prior. It took off like a friggin rocket!

I just got home from a work related trip. I was gone for less than 30 hours, but my fermenting Citra IPA didn't care. Hop reissue got into the airlock, and built up enough pressure to blow the lid off of my bucket fermentor. Lucky for me, my oldest son knew what to do and got the lid back on, but left the mess for my tired butt to clean when I got home. I used S-04 that I harvested and washed 2 days prior. It took off like a friggin rocket!
S04 did that to me a few weeks ago, my first time using it. Might not be uncommon, I'll be keeping a close eye on that strain in future uses.

S04 did that to me a few weeks ago, my first time using it. Might not be uncommon, I'll be keeping a close eye on that strain in future uses.
S-04 usually doesn't do that to me, but I pitched a LOT of healthy cells in a high gravity wort. They took off in less than 8 hours, and have actually ramped up. I wouldn't be surprised if it ferments out within the next couple of days. OG was 1.076 and my projected final gravity is 1.010, with 103 IBUs. It's basically a Zombie Dust clone on steroids...

S-04 usually doesn't do that to me, but I pitched a LOT of healthy cells in a high gravity wort. They took off in less than 8 hours, and have actually ramped up. I wouldn't be surprised if it ferments out within the next couple of days. OG was 1.076 and my projected final gravity is 1.010, with 103 IBUs. It's basically a Zombie Dust clone on steroids...
I used it on a pliny clone, OG 1.074 so maybe it just likes the high gravity.

I also brew with my son. It’s pretty cool that we can do it together. Definitely adds to the enjoyment.
My daughter serves as the house "Braulein"... my son prefers drinking to brewing, and it's a major effort to get him to even rinse his bottle when he's done.

As for me, I've got 28 22 oz bottles soaking in bleach with a cup of water thrown in so I can bottle my APA "Experiment 626" tomorrow. Checked the SG today at 1.008, which puts the ABV at 5.3%... so we're ready. Taste is ever-so-slightly sweet up front with a good bit of floral bitterness from the Saaz and Willamette. Finishes with a clean residual bitterness at the back.

Can't wait to try it carbonated!

Worked 10 hours at main job and 5 at second, came home just a while ago to find new laptop charger arrived 2 days early, and both the IPA (with harvested Notty) and warm-fermented lager (with S-23) I brewed this weekend happily bubbling away in their new fermentation fridge. Temps are supposed to hit the 90's by this time next week, and for the first time I am not worried about my brews. Can't wait until it's time to keg these two. Should go to bed but I'll just take another peek....

Took another gravity sample of my warm(ish) fermented Czech Pilsner. The diacetyl is almost gone, and it's almost time to cold crash for a few days. I'm definitely gonna harvest the yeast (S-23) and reuse it!

After work I will be bottling my first mead, a JAOM and continuing to cold-crash my blackberry saison to bottle tomorrow. Gotta pick up some Star-San and bottles etc. before bottling the saison tomorrow.

I started to clean the manifold I built for my mash tun but then realized I am going to have to disassemble, clean, and reassemble that damn thing for every brew. Ah...no thx. I installed the old bazooka tube. It’s much easier to clean. ...and I think I’m going to get more wort from the MLT with the bazooka tube. Win-Win.

I also kegged an APA for my Father’s Day cookout. The hydrometer sample tastes delicious.

IMG_1225.JPG

Last edited:
Tapped the lager I kegged last weekend that had sat in the garage heat for a few days longer than planned. Tasted "funny" going into the keg, but I decided whatever, let's see what happens, we've got enough beer to last until the two in fermenters are ready. Pleasantly surprised, very refreshing although with a slight estery 'tang' that should fade with some time. Was hoping I could dry hop the House IPA tonight but krausen is still up (although beginning to drop) so I'll wait another day. Wednesday & Thursday are my only days I get to come straight home from day job so relaxing with the new lager and cruising here.

Dropped off a flyer to a LHBS for my clubs Annual picnic and spent a gift card from xmas there. I got a stainless dry hop tube. some Belle Saison yeast and a few pieces to allow me to use my perrlick taps right on the kegs. Talked to the Shop Keep for about an hour.

Today after work I have to make a homebrewstore run for:
1 case 12oz bottles
5' 3/8" racking hose
5oz priming sugar
Starsan
8oz Galaxy Hops (didn't realize they can become scarce if you don't get 'em while they are around)
and hopefully a vial or two of WLP095 Burlington Ale for a NE IPA recipe

Also I will bottle a saison either tonight or tomorrow if laziness rears its familiar yet ugly head.

Just kicked my keg of my last extract brew - an all Galaxy Neipa. Brewing my second all grain BIAB this afternoon - an all Citra Neipa. Got a Mosaic, Galaxy Neipa in the fermenter. Psyched!

Just kicked my keg of my last extract brew - an all Galaxy Neipa. Brewing my second all grain BIAB this afternoon - an all Citra Neipa. Got a Mosaic, Galaxy Neipa in the fermenter. Psyched!

I am looking at formulating an extract NE IPA recipe, what did you use for your fermentables? I have seen a large variance in how extract brewers are approaching the NE IPA style. Hops seem easy enough but the specialty grains/fermentables I am having trouble nailing down.

I am looking at formulating an extract NE IPA recipe, what did you use for your fermentables? I have seen a large variance in how extract brewers are approaching the NE IPA style. Hops seem easy enough but the specialty grains/fermentables I am having trouble nailing down.
By far, my favorite extract Neipa was my Mosaic/Galaxy. 7 lbs Pilsner dme (Pils is the lightest and most fermentable dme; stay away from LME). 8 oz White Wheat Malt, 8 oz Flaked Wheat, 8 oz Flaked Oats, 8 oz carapils. Specialty grains steeped at 155 for 30 minutes. 0.75 oz Warrior at 60 min for bittering. Mosaic and Galaxy added at flameout. London 1318. 2 3 oz dry hops. On day 4 and then 3 days before kegging.

I've done roughly 15 batches of extract Neipas, and this one was top notch. I hate to sound cocky at all, but it rivaled the best stuff I could find in the liquor stores and even some of the big boy Neipa producers. I shared with a couple bars I frequent, and they wanted to buy it.

Back