What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got ready for trick or treat this evening. Gotta get more beers in the fridge for our Halloween buffet tomorrow night after some 300 miles to pick up son's newer GT. Then get comp back to finish my home brewing book & get it out in a week or so. Dang hackers makin' me late with my chit mang...:drunk:

Got my first step of a two step starter going for my Cali Common brew this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled hard Limeaid. Brewed up 4gallons hard cider, my 1st. Brewed 4gallons of hard raspberry lemonade. Last, kegged Mosaic PA. Time to relax after all that hard work with the limeaid.

1414786384455.jpg

Made a false bottom from a keg top, A dip tube for MLT and HLT and a side pick up tube for BK.

I organized my brew space, in the garage, which took half the a day.

Also put a few sacks of grain, into the deep freeze... damn weevils.

Probably gonna dry hop a IIPA, and prime an Oatmeal Stout, later.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Cheers!:mug:

I bought a pond pump and some fittings so I can recirculate cold water through my chiller. Just in time for the cold weather. Wait. This is SoCal. Cold weather is still in the 70's.

Got ingredients for my Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus IPA and cold crashed the starter.

Got the base malt (4 lbs of 2-row) for my first-ever attempt at BIAB: John Palmer's "Victory and Chaos" English pale ale. Had a real beer noob moment at the LHBS, too: The owner asked if I wanted the grains milled, and I mentioned that up until now I've been using my blender to mill my specialty grains for extract brews. The look of horror on his face was priceless :p

Made a manifold for my mash tun, brewing tomorrow can't wait to see how it works

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414874668.347603.jpg

Bottom drilled
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414874710.466963.jpg

I took the t out of the second to the middle and made them all straight but to lazy for another pic lol

Delivered a keezer to a friends house and picked up a broken kegerator from a guy on craigslist for... $20 frikin dollars!!!! Came with everything!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414875237.848228.jpg I think it needs a relay or overload protector. It verified the thermostat was not the issue using my controller. It still didnt get power. I'll test the relay and capacitor tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Love me some daylight savings time it's 745 just got my water to brew tröegs mad elf clone and honey should be mashing in by 830-9

Tröegs mad elf clone ferment out then rack on top of cherries for around two weeks can't wait hope
All goes as this brew day has

Brewed up an American Pale Ale. Hit my 149f mash temp, without software for the strike temp. 1st Runnings, had such a nice golden color.

Soon after, my Neighbor, who is also a home brewer, came by with a glass of his newest batch. Then I showed him how I brew with my setup. He was curious about my March pump, and recirculating the wort.

I'm thinking of a way, to convince him we should make and split batches together.
Oh, this just keeps getting better and better!

I did a wet run on my system to try out the new fill port and thermometer/sight glass on my HLT.

Damn... got a leak with 175° water. Was fine with 60°. I'll have to wait until later in the week to try and resolve that.

2014-11-02 15.17.33.jpg

Since finally getting my own computer back, I started proofreading my home brewing book. Gotta get it out there real soon.

Assembled and tested my new Mark's keg washer and a new Bayou burner I got in the mail this morning. IT seems the brewery purchases never end :D

I know that's right! Always something to re-arrange the brewery with, gadgets, glasses, etc. It never stops...the brewery that wouldn't die!

Dry hopped my double IPA, with the usual suspects: Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra.

Racked my Flanders Red to secondary with oak and brandy. Sample tasted promising!

Racked my Blueberry/raspberry melomel again (tertiary?).
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415112637.009911.jpg

Made a cyser with unpasteurized cider and reused fruit from the melomel (and honey).

Also have 1 gal of just the unpasteurized cider going. Fingers crossed for some interesting wild cider.

Made a 5 liter starter in attempts to revive a couple of old white labs vials. So far, no luck. Also, cleaned up some brew gear I'm selling to purchase a new chest freezer fermentation chamber.

Back