What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413757171.875003.jpg

Think I solved my grain crush problem, and hoping for higher efficiency on the next brew!

My brew team consisting of me and the dog today are doing another 80 shilling brew that came out very nice last time. I need to keep some of this in the inventory.

made a frozen yeast bank. Made yeast plates and slants of my wild yeast. Transferred my flanders red and my young flanders red to the old flanders red carboy. Bottled my cranberry sour. Rebuilt my keg washer.

Not a damn thing.

Meant to bottle my Espresso Stout, but found a good deal on tickets this morning and took my teenage son to a football game. Good times.

Oh wait, I lied: consumed some beer at the game (designated teen driver, and all :))

Refilled the bath tub with hot water to try and heart my saison with 3724. Damn that yeast is finicky, should have brewed with it during the summer.

Refilled the bath tub with hot water to try and heart my saison with 3724. Damn that yeast is finicky, should have brewed with it during the summer.

I heart your saison too. For whatever that is worth.

Pitched my Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout w/ WY1028 @ 66F & oxygenated; racked my New Albion Ale to kegs for conditioning & cleaned up the carboys.

How'ed that go?

Actually pretty well. Got to judge with some Certified Judges and my scores were in line with theirs within 3 points almost every time. Was a good day and am looking forward to doing more judging! Need to pass the online exam at least though.

Just finished kegging my Christmas Ale. Got a full 5+gals in the keg and 2 bombers now ready for a few weeks of aging. :)

Actually pretty well. Got to judge with some Certified Judges and my scores were in line with theirs within 3 points almost every time. Was a good day and am looking forward to doing more judging! Need to pass the online exam at least though.

Good for you. With all the styles, must be a lifelong learning process.

I heart your saison too. For whatever that is worth.

Whoops.

Turns out the bath tub loses heat too quickly, so I discovered that a5 gallon carboy fits perfectly inside of a 10 gallon mash tun. Covered it with a towel and will replace the water in the morning.

Whoops.

Turns out the bath tub loses heat too quickly, so I discovered that a5 gallon carboy fits perfectly inside of a 10 gallon mash tun. Covered it with a towel and will replace the water in the morning.

You need a fish tank heater.

Well, here's a new development. My #2 son & I were just talking on the phone. He grows ghost chilies, scorpion peppers & all that. He just told me he wants to brew a ghost chili beer. I told him a pale ale might be good. I also told him to come on here to get some info on chili pepper beers. So I think I finally talked him into it! We might just hook another one here! :rockin:

I got to take a ride today with Master Brewer John Abbott to Fall River Brewing Company and assist brewing the winning beer for the Home Brew competition Nor Cal Brewing Solutions put on a few months ago. The beer? 15 BBLs of a Bourbon barrel aged smoked Barleywine.

Total blast!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20141021_132747_996.jpg

IMG_20141021_113450_358.jpg

IMG_20141021_113458_250.jpg

IMG_20141021_134736_353.jpg

I got to take a ride today with Master Brewer John Abbott to Fall River Brewing Company and assist brewing the winning beer for the Home Brew competition Nor Cal Brewing Solutions put on a few months ago. The beer? 15 BBLs of a Bourbon barrel aged smoked Barleywine.

Total blast!

Cheers
Jay

Nice! Now whats the trick?

Bought ingredients for my first Roggenbier. Also attempting my first apple cider, ready by Thanksgiving.

I kegged my Czech Pils Ale earlier and forced carbed. Looking to start enjoying this one on the weekend. :mug:

CzechPA_keg.jpg

Got a starter going for Sunday.

What I didn't do and need to: clean a keg. Two kegs around and yet no ready beer on tap, oh the humanity.

(On the plus side: Scotch Ale bottle conditioning right now and a Zombie Dust clone already in a keg and just about ready for CO2).

- My name is Barny, and I'm an alcoholic.
- Mr. Gumbel, this is a Girl Scout meeting.
- Is it? Or is it that you girls can't admit you have a problem? (The Simpsons)

Kegged a batch of iipa last night after cleaning out a keg that I thought I cleaned but apparently didn't do well enough.
Edit: and disassembled and cleaned a faucet. It was pretty gross.

Cleaned a bunch of bottles. Gotta empty & rinse my fermenters next. I'd like to brew up another batch of ESB this weekend. Gotta wait for the son's day off to replace a fubared LR brake line.

Set up a time to brew with a friend of mine. I have everything ready for the weekend. My idea of a proper girls day v

I cleaned up my man cave!

Last weekend when we were brewing, SWMBO said that my room is missing two things, a couch and a tv. I agreed! So my goal was to clean up my room (which it needed cleaned anyhow) and rearrange enough stuff to fit a small loveseat couch in there. The TV will come soon. I also needed a new shelving unit to house my beer and wine fermenters, as I had been clogging up valuable counter space with these.

I transferred all of my bullets and reloading gear that was on a 6' wire shelving unit onto three smaller shelves that I put underneath a work bench.

20141023_155326-XL.jpg

Then I moved my bookshelf over and moved my kegerator next to my reloading bench.

20141023_160751-X2.jpg

I then moved my desk around so that I had a view of my room, rather than just the wall.

I now have space for a TV on the wall

20141023_155337-XL.jpg

20141023_161218-XL.jpg

and a couch on the other wall.

20141023_155350-XL.jpg

And I have room for 11 fermenters on my the newly repurposed wire shelving. You can't see all of, since it's a bad angle, but there's room for three fermenters on each shelf, plus two on top.

20141023_155424-X2.jpg

And I just got 24 gallons of juice in from my LHBS, so I'll have those bubbling away on my new shelf this evening. My day off turned out not to be very relaxing... I think I need a homebrew!

I cleaned up my man cave!

Last weekend when we were brewing, SWMBO said that my room is missing two things, a couch and a tv. I agreed! So my goal was to clean up my room (which it needed cleaned anyhow) and rearrange enough stuff to fit a small loveseat couch in there. The TV will come soon. I also needed a new shelving unit to house my beer and wine fermenters, as I had been clogging up valuable counter space with these.

I transferred all of my bullets and reloading gear that was on a 6' wire shelving unit onto three smaller shelves that I put underneath a work bench.

20141023_155326-XL.jpg

Then I moved my bookshelf over and moved my kegerator next to my reloading bench.

20141023_160751-X2.jpg

I then moved my desk around so that I had a view of my room, rather than just the wall.

I now have space for a TV on the wall

20141023_155337-XL.jpg

20141023_161218-XL.jpg

and a couch on the other wall.

20141023_155350-XL.jpg

And I have room for 11 fermenters on my the newly repurposed wire shelving. You can't see all of, since it's a bad angle, but there's room for three fermenters on each shelf, plus two on top.

20141023_155424-X2.jpg

And I just got 24 gallons of juice in from my LHBS, so I'll have those bubbling away on my new shelf this evening. My day off turned out not to be very relaxing... I think I need a homebrew!

Nice setup, except for that ugly bird on the fridge. 😉 Go niners!

Brewed a Roggenbier based on NB's recipe. Nothing like trying a 800 year old beer style.

I picked up 10 feet of 1/2" copper L coil tubing to fabricate a mash keggle slotted copper manifold. I'm designing a spiral drain down to the center of the tun, then to a pick-up tube and out the side. Does this sound sane or am I losing marbles on this one? All thoughts and criticisms welcome.

Nice setup max!

- My name is Barny, and I'm an alcoholic.
- Mr. Gumbel, this is a Girl Scout meeting.
- Is it? Or is it that you girls can't admit you have a problem? (The Simpsons)

Bought 3.5 gallons of unpasteurized apple cider must to let spontaneously ferment (in addition to the 5 gallons of honeycrisp apple cider I plan on picking up this weekend and pitching my house 1469 into). May the cider gods be with me and provide me with something tasty and delicious, and not something enteric and disgusting!

I installed a Clear Beer Draught System in one of my kegs before racking a Kölsch. I am hoping for a clean pint with the first draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Making two separate starters for my double brew day on Saturday. One is wlp011 European ale and the other is San Diego Super wlp090.

Heard that maybe Centennials are hard to come by or, at least, out of stock at NB's online store. Since I have a Centennial/Simcoe/Columbus IPA planned, I stopped at the retail location and picked up the hops. (And I only got what I needed - no stockpiling for me!)

Making two separate starters for my double brew day on Saturday. One is wlp011 European ale and the other is San Diego Super wlp090.

Used 02 (english) for stouts and 01 (California ale). What do you think f differences are with 11 and 09?

Kegged a Pale Ale and I am harvesting the yeast for a new batch of Robust Porter to brew Sunday.

Soaked a bunch of bottle (65) in some straight A cleaning solution. I use my 35 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can and hole the bottles just under water until the fill and the I let the float to the bottom. Tomorrow morning I will take them out and drain them. It is a little bit of work but all the labels will just slide off as I lift the bottle from the straight A solution. It beats scrubbing the labels off. I find this works on all the paper labels. The foil ones not so much.

Once I rinse the bottles and squirt starsan in them I will be ready to bottle my Irish Death clone.

Back