What hopps should i grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbastardo

Reaction score
I have some property out here in western WA, good climate for hopps. Any recomendations on types i might consider?

I struggled with this very question. I plan on growing hops this year and I'd like to pick my two ideal hops for the styles I brew most often. I suggest you consider what is common about what you frequently brew and focus on those. For me, I like British and Belgian styles, plus the insane IPA from time to time. Anything that I brew outside of that I will just pick up what I need locally. So I'm planning on Fuggles and Saaz. I believe both will work in my area, and both will play a part in most of my beer. It won't be 100%, but at least it'll get me something that I can use regularly.

I know that's not much of an answer, but that's how I approached it.

Scott

I started to grow a few rhizomes two years ago. I was so excited to use them for brewing but two factors prevented this.

First, the piece of paper that listed what was planted where was lost. Therefore, I had no idea if I was brewing with Cascade, Warrior or Willamette.

Second, and probably more importantly, I realized I had no idea what the alpha measurement was. As a result, I could not accurately substitute home grown hops for pellets.

My advice (aside from don't lose your planting diagram) is to buy hops that you want to use for dry/wet hopping. To that end and given where you are the obvious answer is Cascade or similar substitute.

I have found these two sites to have the best variety if you haven't already found them. I may do the Pride of Ringwood this year to add to the "garden".

Good luck

http://www.freshops.com/
http://www.thymegarden.com/site/561124/page/217466

I'm glad you mentioned the alpha content issue. I had a plan for that, albeit, a weak one. I was going to brew a batch of IPA and just see how it came out. Not really a calibration, but too hoppy, not hoppy enough, and work from there to estimate the alpha content. I know, not really a solid plan, but that's what I was thinking.

I like your suggestion to use home grown for dry hopping only. I may just rethink my approach now!

Scott

I've grown cascades and hallertauer for several years- both do well here, but I don't use the hallertauer as much as I thought I would. I brew all kinds of beers, but leans towards APAs and IPAs. My cascades have been fantastic, and I'm happy with them. This year, I ordered chinook and centennial to add a few varieties.

It's true that you can't know the AAU, but you can guestimate an average and brew a beer and see if it's bitter enough/not bitter enough. Usually, though, I use the hops for flavoring additions at 15 minutes, or aroma additions at 5 minutes and 0 minutes, when AAUs don't matter at all.

differences in hops are fine by me:D I need to get some in the ground this spring. I can buy the pellets, but growing the hops is something that i can do. I plan on growing some hops this season anyway, whether i use them or not.

In the south central UP, on the border of WI. It's called the "banana belt" because we don't get quite as much snow as Houghton!

Dang... I see you played hockey too. I bet we've crossed paths. I grew up in Marinette on the boarder of the UP, and played a lot of ice hockey. Are you near Iron Mountain?

Houghton gets snow like you've never seen before. When I first moved to CO it was during the worst snow storm in the state's history. Our neighbors asked if we were going to be OK. I showed them a picture of the snow stick in the Keweenaw.... they realized this is balmy compared to what I've seen.

So now that I know your weather, what are the hop varieties you've had success with, and those that you haven't?

Scott

Dang... I see you played hockey too. I bet we've crossed paths. I grew up in Marinette on the boarder of the UP, and played a lot of ice hockey. Are you near Iron Mountain?

Houghton gets snow like you've never seen before. When I first moved to CO it was during the worst snow storm in the state's history. Our neighbors asked if we were going to be OK. I showed them a picture of the snow stick in the Keweenaw.... they realized this is balmy compared to what I've seen.

So now that I know your weather, what are the hop varieties you've had success with, and those that you haven't?

Scott

I play hockey several days a week- we played in Iron Mountain yesterday. Iron Mountain is about 45 minutes away from me. I doubt you've seen me play, unless you've enjoyed watching women's teams that include older ladies! Sometimes we play against U-19 or U-16 teams, but most of us are old enough to be their grandmothers. We've got a couple of girls now that are under 30, but most of us are quite a bit older.

The cascades have done very well, and the hallertauer have done moderately well. That's all that I have experience with here. I'll be starting new rhizomes this year, but I only have experience with those two varieties at this point.

Back