What has happened to Raspberry Pi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The pricing has gone way up and available models has gone down.

And there are other Pi's as well with fruit names, Banana Pi, and some other that I have seen.

Are they compatible, software wise?

Oh, and you can buy these Mini PCs that are tiny for what a Pi used to go for.

Jeebus H Christmas you ain't kidding! :oops:
I'm flush with plenty of RPi's, even have spares, so pricing and availability has been off my radar the last year+.

I have no idea what's up. Maybe the foundation isn't important enough to component vendors and they're being starved for parts...

The price gouging is literally across the board involving both single core (ie: Zeros of all stripes), dual core (2Bs) and quad core (3B/3B+ and now Zero-2W) and advanced quad core (4B) product lines...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Meh, just design your own. I did that once when a client came to me with a Netduino and wanted his own board (think Arduino with networking capability). Open source hardware, code, api's that plug into Visual Studio. I wonder if the Pi is fully open-source.

I just bought one of the mini pc's for my tap board and it can be used for other things and it come with Windows already installed. I guess that it has to be a licensed version seeing that I'm buying it off of Amazon. $134 with 4GB ram, Intel Celeron, 64GB Rom and a space for a SSD that I already have.

Blame it all on dreaded Global Supply Chain issues! 😣

I'm not sure if that's meant to be flippant or not... But it's a thing.

I highly doubt that Raspberry Pi makers are high on the list for IC vendors to make sure they keep supplied with components. I'm assuming most of them are on the very long tail of the supply chain. So they are probably having MAJOR issues trying to source what they need to build boards...

Zeroes have been typically hard to get before the semiconductor shortage.

I read recently they are doing some redesigns to use more common parts.

Edit to add they they sell enough units, I'm sure they get preferred vendor support.

fwiw, none of the RPi designs are considered open source. They're all property of the Org.
As for using someone else's SOC: I don't know about you, but one hour of my time could buy a half dozen RPi4Bs at their classic price. Recoding to an incompatible target usually entails someone taking a loss...

Cheers!

I want one for home automation and my jaw hit the floor when I looked a couple weeks back. Couldn’t even find one yesterday.

$30 seems reasonable?
$30 is generally just the board. One also needs a power supply, case, SD card, and probably a fan.

The pricing has gone way up and available models has gone down.
It looks like premium kit prices have gone up. But I'm also seeing 128 GB SD cards and two HDMI cables in those kits.

All I know is that suddenly my hoarding can be justified as me just "buying low"!

In all seriousness, with close proximity to Micro Center, getting Pis has never felt terribly difficult, even if they aren't always available the day I think I want one. I went through and upgraded my cluster to Pi 4s late last year, with all the upgrades funded by selling the Pi 3s on eBay. Pure insanity.

CPICOM -- a CP/M 2.2 emulator for the Raspberry Pi Pico. The Pico is a tiny, low-cost ARM-based controller, with 2Mb of flash ROM and 256kB of RAM. When running a CP/M emulator on the Pico, the overall performance is about the same as that of a real Z80-based microcomputer of 1980s vintage [...]

"duckduckgo" on "CPICOM" (quoted) to find the article and the github repo.

I just ordered an Celeron-based micro PC for my Home Assistant home automation project for about the same price as the PI 4, case, fan, and power supply I intended to use. I don't need the GPIO pins since would use ESP32 devices remotely where I want that capability.

I believe in part is because the general increment on semi-conductors..... cryptos huh?

Last edited:
If one doesn't need the GPIO pins, $150 mini-PCs (or old laptops/desktops) can be a solid alternative. Articles can be found where people extend 4 unit Pi clusters using 10 year old laptops / desktops.

My current inventory :) For each one, I have one of these nifty little 7" LCDs that the Pi mounts directly to. I'm not a "Pi" guy, but occasionally I have clients that want a very fast prototype for something with a screen, and I use these (I have a buddy who does the GUI - I do the hardware/firmware design). You can see some green pcbs in the corner that these mounted onto.

1650849018425.png

So I have seen online recently.

Raspberry Pi Zero

Banana Pi

Orange Pi = several models, seems to be similar to Raspberry Pi

Rock Pi

BeagleBones

A29-OLinuxino-LIME

ASUS Tinker Board

ODRIOD-C2

Devkit - multiple models

Hackberry

Nitrogen6X

IMX - several models

PandaBoard - several models

Pine A64 & A64+

RicoBoard

WandBoard - several models

Zturn board - several models

FZ3 Deep Learning Accelerator Card

Most have similar features at different price points.
Are any of these any value to the brew community?

https://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/arm-boards

Without trying very hard, I've sold (2) 3B v1.2's and a 2B for $170 total in the last couple weeks. Two were previously retired, 1 I replaced with a Celeron MiniPC.

Last edited:
Another thing to research is the history of the company and the primary people involved. If the company has no successful products over a decade or if it has a history of product failures/recalls, it may be hard to consider that product safe and effective for home brewing.

Some research can prevent a SBC purchase from having adverse side effects, prevent lost time due to troubleshooting, and (perhaps most importantly) prevent the early death of a batch of beer.

do they run RPi OS, Ubuntu/Debian for ARMv7/8, or some vendor specific distribution?

For some boards, that information can be found at the product's web site.

Crowd sourced opinion and information can be found at "Hacker News" (https://news.ycombinator.com/) - periodically there links to SBC articles links (and discussion). reddit is also likely to be a source of links to expert bloggers as well as opinions.

What OS can Orange Pi run?

What is Orange Pi. It's an open-source single-board computer. It can run Android 4.2, Android4. 4, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Raspbian, ArchLinux,openSUSE, OpenWrt, and other OS systems.

What is the difference between Raspberry Pi and Orange Pi?

While comparing both, Orange Pi performs better than Raspberry Pi. For the higher range systems concerned, Raspberry uses 1.4 GHz quadcore and Orange uses 1.6 GHz quadcore processors. The memory capacity is the same for both as 1 GB, but Orange uses DDR3 and Raspberry uses LPDDR2.

I would expect some of the others to be similar enough.

Back