What happened to these SS ball bearings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalmah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some ball bearings to weigh down and sink my dry hop bag. They were advertised as SS. But when I soaked them overnight in Oxyclean they had these black splotches on them. I'm thinking the marks are from where they were touching each other. This shouldn't happen if they're really SS, right?

WP_20150417_002.jpg

WP_20150417_003.jpg

I read a post a while ago from Denny, and he said he saw no difference in sinking the bags and floating them. Since then I haven't bothered to weigh them down.

Marbles may be an option?

I bought some ball bearings to weigh down and sink my dry hop bag. They were advertised as SS. But when I soaked them overnight in Oxyclean they had these black splotches on them. I'm thinking the marks are from where they were touching each other. This shouldn't happen if they're really SS, right?

Depends on what grade of stainless they are. Why would you soak them in oxyclean?

Put them in warm hydrochloric acid if they turn green they are chrome plated. They look plated to me.

i've used glass marbles in the past and they work great. i boil them with the hop sack for sanitizing.

Some stainless ball bearing are hardened. The grades of stainless that are heat treatable don't have the same corrosion resistance as the austenitic grades.

i've used a butter knife or spoon or two before and it's SS and easily available in your nearest kitchen! :)

Back