What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Sobremesa
IMG_20191121_114742.jpeg

Well the thread title has certainly come to pass....what happened? This used to be a very actived thread?
I think we lost some people with whatever happened to the old thread. Kier seems to be on hiatus. Winter time in NA definitely puts a damper on cigar time for a lot of us as well.
Sad, but it seems just a bunch of pics of hands and cigars. I enjoy a good butt as much or more than most but don't take pics of 'em.

pao
We used to have a few people blending and rolling their own cigars here too.

We used to have a few people blending and rolling their own cigars here too.

Used to roll quite a few. The quality of available smokes has sky-rocketed in the last few years, leaving me far behind. There's quite a selection available at Whole Leaf, I noticed so I might give is another try. Brewing has consumed most of my shop so I'll have to dig out a little corner.

pao

I go back and forth with using the forum in general, to be honest. I've actually bought my first house recently, have started my first keezer, and have a garage I can smoke in if I really want now. It's detached and uninsulated though, so not much smoking happening in the winter. I'll get some pics of the keezer etc. next time I'm out there unwinding.

I was just thinking about this thread the other day, enjoying an unusual 60* F day in the mid Atlantic winter

I am guilty of the hand and butt photos as well, I’m not much of a writer and as far as tastings and picking up on cigar nuances I’m terrible lol

Hope everyone had a great holiday season and happy New Years everyone

Attachments

• IMG_5515.JPG
    IMG_5515.JPG
    656.4 KB · Views: 55
First brew in the new house, so as I was cleaning up I decided to have a stogie since it was in the mid 40's. Mexican stogie with a Mexican imperial stout aged in Mezcal barrels. Still need to build the collar for my keezer. Gonna go 2x8" which will let me put a keg on the hump. Should be able to squeeze three kegs into this 5.5 cu with that 8" collar. These Perlick flow control faucets are the bomb.
20200126_152842.jpg
20200126_152949.jpg

Havent tried yet, maybe this weekend. Been battling a sinus infection. They still make Ruthless Rye, Rhaop?

Not sure about the photo quality but that ruthless rye is a 2015 lol, I grabbed it from a fridge when the wife and I vacationed at a ski resort condo two years ago it was so smooth I had been saving it for a nice day, I haven’t seen it in stores for awhile maybe they stopped production

The other SN beer I miss is the Tumbler brown ale they brewed for the Fall season damn that was a delicious smokey brown

Too nice of a evening to not kick back and relax after taking care of some trees that fell from yesterday’s storm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Not sure about the photo quality but that ruthless rye is a 2015 lol, I grabbed it from a fridge when the wife and I vacationed at a ski resort condo two years ago it was so smooth I had been saving it for a nice day, I haven’t seen it in stores for awhile maybe they stopped production

The other SN beer I miss is the Tumbler brown ale they brewed for the Fall season damn that was a delicious smokey brown
I miss the hell out of Sierra Nevada’s Glissade.

Weather's getting nice, let's revive the thread!

Feb 2019 RASS. Still a bit young and brash but still nice. From a few days ago.

Attachments

• 20200526_202912.jpg
    20200526_202912.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
Another RASS. After a short nap in my humi it's already better. Some really great earthy tones, which I love, some spices. With a Journeyman's Distillery bourbon.

What's everyone else smoking?
image1(2).jpeg

Just treated myself to something I have never bought before: a box of Padron Maduro Anniversarios! Sure do love Padron. Unusually am lucky to get 2-3 a year, but I need to make the box last all 2021 long.

Hey Jay,

Hope everything's well out in Cali and Redding's recovered from the fires too. How's the business doing during the pandemic?
Its been a ruff year! Not gonna lie. Business is doing ok and we are continuing to create innovations that are selling very well here in the US and overseas. We still even in Dec have fires burning in CA. I have 2 kids in the house that both work for forestry. Normally they would be out of a job right now but both still banging away. Crazy!

We have had a substantial family illness and so I am trying to learn how to navigate that, work, inspire and create all while keeping my sanity intact. Cigars haven't been high on the priority list but when I do sit down for one its been AMAZING!

Be well!
Cheers
Jay

Back