What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a beginner, don't forget that you need to pace yourself. It's real easy to get carried away and draw too often. It causes the cigar to heat up too much, producing a harsh taste. It can also cause you to absorb so much nicotine that you will get sick. It's called hotboxing and practicing smoke rings is a good way to do it.

I guarantee that getting too much nicotine is a REAL uncomfortable experience.
This may have already happened...

Ah just found this thread! Cigars are my first love!
I wanna play here!
Lucitania from 04. Rich yet smooth!

Welcome.
IMG_3592.jpg

Backyard is a bit flooded from all the recent rain. I’ll be able to mow the front yard at least....however let’s start the afternoon off with this
IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_6481.JPG

“Less Netflix more books” said one of my students once. I fully agreed!

Montecristo # 4 and Dragons Milk. Amazing pairing as the monte brings these nutty, woody smooth flavors to the complexity of these awesome beer.

Gifted to me. Made for the locals in Guantanamo.

Those cigars they make for the locals are very interesting. Butt ugly, yet tasty. I have some Reloba and Moya thats been aging in the humi for a bit. Turning out quite nice. Enjoy friend!
IMG_3219.JPG

Love Opus X. They do really well with a nice long rest in the humi.
RG are also great and under rated. I remember pairing it once with Blue Mountain coffee and it was fantastic!

I’ve been seeing a lot of deals on these Olivia cigars so I got me a sampler to try some out. This doesn’t pair very well with Punkin Beer.
IMG_1595.JPG
this one pairs great.
IMG_1596.JPG

I’ve been seeing a lot of deals on ,these Olivia cigars so I got me a sampler to try some out. This doesn’t pair very well with Punkin Beer. View attachment 591833 this one pairs great. View attachment 591835
Just my opinion on Olivas on 20 years of enjoying them, I'm sure others will have differing opinions, they are a very solid brand with excellent construction but IMHO need at least a year of rest otherwise they will come across as harsh or 'funky'. Their Connecticut wrapped can get by with a lot less, but again, I believe they are a great quality build that really needs a proper rest. Again, just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Just my opinion on Olivas on 20 years of enjoying them, I'm sure others will have differing opinions, they are a very solid brand with excellent construction but IMHO need at least a year of rest otherwise they will come across as harsh or 'funky'. Their Connecticut wrapped can get by with a lot less, but again, I believe they are a great quality build that really needs a proper rest. Again, just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

I agree on the construction part. Always perfectly crafted. I also agree that they are harsh. In your opinion is the year of rest worth it? Toraños gold come to mind in comparison, but man at the end of that rest you are rewarded with a flavorful, complex and smooth stogie.

I agree on the construction part. Always perfectly crafted. I also agree that they are harsh. In your opinion is the year of rest worth it? Toraños gold come to mind in comparison, but man at the end of that rest you are rewarded with a flavorful, complex and smooth stogie.

I’m only dealing with a humidor that holds 25 so I guess I’m looking for a stick that I don’t have to age. I also can’t spend hundreds of dollars on cigars that may or may not make it from Cuba. Any suggestions?

I’m only dealing with a humidor that holds 25 so I guess I’m looking for a stick that I don’t have to age. I also can’t spend hundreds of dollars on cigars that may or may not make it from Cuba. Any suggestions?

Get a bigger humi!!! ;-)

Seriously though, there are plenty of great domestic choices. Although i will say that any cigar will benefit from a nice rest in the humidor. For starters go to Arturo Fuentes, they have consistent quality, a few variations on the wrapper and some very nice maduros. Padron is another big hitter, their anniversary line although pricy, imo is one of the best cigars you can smoke. La Gloria Cubana Series R, Davidoff, CAO, Carlos Toraño, Rocky Patel....man theres so many! Experiment and start out by buying quality sticks. I always say get the best poison you can afford. Most often you will be rewarded with a quality smoke, thats not to say you cant get a quality smoke on a budget, but if you are just starting out stick to known quality until you start finding your own middle ground. Have fun!

Get a bigger humi!!! ;-)

Seriously though, there are plenty of great domestic choices. Although i will say that any cigar will benefit from a nice rest in the humidor. For starters go to Arturo Fuentes, they have consistent quality, a few variations on the wrapper and some very nice maduros. Padron is another big hitter, their anniversary line although pricy, imo is one of the best cigars you can smoke. La Gloria Cubana Series R, Davidoff, CAO, Carlos Toraño, Rocky Patel....man theres so many! Experiment and start out by buying quality sticks. I always say get the best poison you can afford. Most often you will be rewarded with a quality smoke, thats not to say you cant get a quality smoke on a budget, but if you are just starting out stick to known quality until you start finding your own middle ground. Have fun!

I’m holding off on a bigger humidor. My wife and I just purchased some land that we plan to build a house on. I have plans for a much larger humidor in the new house. I’ve never had any Arturo Fuentes I’ll check them out. My current favorite is the La Gloria Cubana line. I’ve had some Padron. I forgot how great they where thanks for the reminder.

I’m holding off on a bigger humidor. My wife and I just purchased some land that we plan to build a house on. I have plans for a much larger humidor in the new house. I’ve never had any Arturo Fuentes I’ll check them out. My current favorite is the La Gloria Cubana line. I’ve had some Padron. I forgot how great they where thanks for the reminder.

150qt cooler and some beads could last awhile. I have two. Wally World $75. They hold approx 50 boxes each. AF Hemingways, 858 all wrappers, grand reserva all wrappers and Xs no mark up. Lgdc n and r. Torino 50 Ann gold and champagne. So many to choose from.

Never failed to fill a cc order. Reputable dealers will resend or refund, your choice.

150qt cooler and some beads could last awhile. I have two. Wally World $75. They hold approx 50 boxes each. AF Hemingways, 858 all wrappers, grand reserva all wrappers and Xs no mark up. Lgdc n and r. Torino 50 Ann gold and champagne. So many to choose from.

Never failed to fill a cc order. Reputable dealers will resend or refund, your choice.

I second the cooledor method!

Are you a cc dealer?

I got me some of these Juan Lopez 100% Cuban seed. Grown in Nicaragua. I guess we’ll see how it stacks up to a real CC
IMG_1615.JPG

Back