What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just shared my last two hand rolled pyramids from Greystoke in the Bahamas with my brew buddy at the completion of our Ninkasi True brew.
They've been aging in my humidor for ten years and were spectacular!

Whew...just back from a kayak trip in the beautiful Golfo de Chiriqui of Panama's Pacific coast...about a 40 nautical mile trip and got some strong head winds on the final leg...Im whipped.

Stopped into the little cigar factory in Bugaba on the way back up the mountain to order another batch of custom rolls. They were low on inventory and in the midst of filling a big order, but they quickly finished up a few little robustos to tide me over till they could get my order done. Pretty tasty.

View attachment 1489875229169.jpg

View attachment 1489875480432.jpg

The loss of the original thread name does not bother me, but the loss of all that history just sucks. Is there no way we can recover or reload the original thread?

Yesterdays NEIPA brewday needed a little cigar time! MAN it's hard to sit around an NOT add hops to a boil kettle during the boil. I used a Monte#2 to calm my nerves...LOL

Is it me or am I seeing a LOT more CC's on all the forums lately?

Cheers
Jay

Monte#2x2.jpg

Up here cigars cost an arm and a leg. Fortunately, we went to Madrid for our winter holiday trip and I was able to buy a bunch of sticks. It was also nice to just walk around, find a shop and buy something to try, then deciding if it was something worth taking home. I'm pretty new to cigars and learned that I seem to like nicaraguans. :D

TEaeJTP.jpg

I wish I knew. I find very few ready rott.

Yeah I hear ya. I was so concerned about it I let them rest for several weeks after the first one tasted like ammonia I even put them in their own humidor because I was afraid they would taint the others. The last one I had was probably 6 months or more after I got them and same thing.
I actually think mine were 2105 cigars not the one Kier had pictured.

I was only asking really because so many people rave about that cigar and the 2 I had that were amazing, were REALLY amazing! Just curious if anyone else has had that kind of thing happen to them with that cigar.

Cheers
Jay

Enjoyed these last nignt, both with thanks to @twistedhops
View attachment 393518
View attachment 393519

Hey, would you be interested in telling me a little bit more about rolling your own cigars, how expensive it is to get started, where I could find supplies, how long it takes from leaf to smoke....pretty much an intro into that hobby? This is something I've seen you post on several times and it just keeps getting my interest every time I see a hand rolled cigar.

Not sure if it would be completely inappropriate to use this thread otherwise maybe you can OP a thread for anyone who might be interested and has questions specific to rolling rather than smoking? Completely, up to you on how much you want to share about the topic just and idea.

Hey, would you be interested in telling me a little bit more about rolling your own cigars, how expensive it is to get started, where I could find supplies, how long it takes from leaf to smoke....pretty much an intro into that hobby? This is something I've seen you post on several times and it just keeps getting my interest every time I see a hand rolled cigar.

Not sure if it would be completely inappropriate to use this thread otherwise maybe you can OP a thread for anyone who might be interested and has questions specific to rolling rather than smoking? Completely, up to you on how much you want to share about the topic just and idea.

Check out leafonly.com for some ideas.

Acceptable.

Except for the f'n snow!

It was 65F here during the day yesterday and by the time I got to smoking the cigar, it dropped to 45F - still somewhat comfortable for me.

How did you like that Monte? Super nice cigars! I have been enjoying a fair amount of those lately!

Cheers

Jay

Solid cigars. I smoked that one for about an hour and 20 minutes. My neighbor buys Montes all the time and that's how I usually get them. Super creamy.

I bought a 5 pack of those last year and for what ever reason 3 of the 5 tasted like I was smoking ammonia and couldn't smoke them.
Whats the cause of that? Was the cigars sent out still in that "sickness" phase?

BUT MAN THE 2 I DID get to smoke..AMAZING!

Cheers
Jay

Ammonia is a sign the cigar is still fermenting. Let them sit and enjoy them later. Cigars can ferment several times during their life time. Moisture and movement are prime causes. I let everything sit for 2 months after purchase but some Ive had to leave up to or over a year.

Ammonia is a sign the cigar is still fermenting. Let them sit and enjoy them later. Cigars can ferment several times during their life time. Moisture and movement are prime causes. I let everything sit for 2 months after purchase but some Ive had to leave up to or over a year.

Ayup. My issue is that I don't usually get anything from the unlit stick to indicate. But about 2/3rds in I've had several that were unbearable. Burn in the nose, and a sort of menthol/chemical taste/icy feel in the mouth. Like an icy hot "flavor". blech!

Still waiting. No tracking is nerve wracking.

Okay. Now I am a bit concerned. 2 boxes Por Laranaga and a box of H Upmann are MIA.

6 more days and they are considered lost.

Same here, mine reported shipped 2/21 10-22 working days puts me right about yesterday. No customs letters, nothing.

Oh. I missed that it says working days.

So, if that is the case. I still have another week.

Yeah, even though I don't know why working is a thing in shipping, boats, planes, and trucks usually don't take the weekends off anymore.

FWIW my last order from them arrived right on day 22.

Yeah, even though I don't know why working is a thing in shipping, boats, planes, and trucks usually don't take the weekends off anymore.

FWIW my last order from them arrived right on day 22.

I think that is why I missed it. I know the carriers still work on sundays even if they do not deliver on that day. So, I just figured 22 days from ship date. Which puts me at yesterday.

Arrived right on day 22, working/business days? If that truly is the trend, then mine won't arrive until next week.

Back