What German Beers to try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
So i am going to a German Beer Hall in Philadelphia called Brauhaus Schmitz. I have been brewing for about 7 months and have been slowly discovering the awsomeness of good beer but havnt really ventured into imported beers yet. I have included the link to the beer menu. Can anyone suggest some beers for me?

http://www.brauhausschmitz.com/beer/

Tucher Helles Hefe Weizen is on my short list

If any of the drafts actually come from Germany I would start there.

Aventinus
Spaten Oktoberfest
Paulaner Salvator

I have had all three and they are good beers. If I was going myself I would do what dkmount721 said and roll thru the draft beers.

From my trips to Germany, my favorite became Augustiner. So much so that once I got back to the states I rushed out to find some. Unfortunately, a good many of the really good German beers don't take the boat ride so well it seems... Still good, but not sitting at a cafe in Munich good.

Tucher Helles Hefe Weizen is on my short list

If any of the drafts actually come from Germany I would start there.

Tucher is actually my least favorite German beer ever made. I don't feel like it's a good example of what a Weizen should be. But, hey, if I don't drink it, more for you then!

Anyway, Ayinger Marzen-Oktoberfest is by far my favorite German beer. I would obviously start there, but it looks like they don't have it online, so I'll move on.

Franziskaner Dunkel
Ayinger Jahrhundert
Spaten Oktoberfest <-not as good as the Ayinger, but still solid.
Weihenstephaner Original <-oldest beer from the world oldest brewery still open. Great beer.

I would try Weihenstephan 1809 Berliner just out of curiosity since I can never find it in stores.

I have some weird pictures on my phone from the last time I was there. We "ran through" the tap list.

Thanks for all the input. We are going there for a bach party so i most likely will try more than i should. I only will have bout 2 hours before we entertain ourselfs with other "adventures".

Sad they don't have any of the Paulaners on tap.

I would drink the heck out of the Franziskaner Dunkel and the Ayinger, though. Spaten Oktoberfest comes after both Ayinger and Paulaner for me.

That Paulaner Salvator in the bottled beers is a really good brew, though.

I can't say I have sampled a wide variety, but I do like Reissdorf kolsch quite a bit. Kolsch in general is a style I like quite a bit.

Def the Paulaner salvator doppel bock,it's been brewed & sold since 1569!
Franziskaner dunkel
Gaffel kolsch
Kostritzer schwarzbier
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen Old one!
Too bad they don't list the Franziskaner Wiessbier. It's a very well balanced wheat,I love that one the best so far.

Latest posts

Back