What does your pre brew night consist of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
Mine= Cleaning and PBW everything while the kids are screaming and ends with a nice cold two hearted or Spaten Premium Lager

Only done 2 brew days so far...but everything gets oxy-cleaned immediately after brewing so I just get everything out to rinse the night before then fill my brew pot with 6 gallons of water and a 1/3ish of a campden tab to sit overnight. By that time I am itching to brew like it's Christmas Eve and can't fall asleep.

I pull all my gear out and stage it, crack all the grains and get my spreadsheet ready. Then I imbibe. The next morning, brew!

Mill my grist, pop it in the freezer, and clean, clean, clean. The next day, I haul my rig to the cook, and brew on. Unfortunately, that's been at my kitchen stove lo these past three brew sessions. I was supposed to brew today, but I was sidetracked by cleaning. Sometimes, I hate having relatives visit.

About 24 hours before brewing I usually get a starter going on the stir plate. Otherwise, I get all my stuff together and ready on brew day. Everything gets washed after brewing.

Drag out my equipment and stage. Drink a beer. Measure water volumes. Drink a beer. Treat water with salts. Drink a beer. Measure out and mill grain. Drink a beer. Measure out hops. Drink a beer, drink a beer, drink a beer......

Mill my grain. Collect the needed amount of water in 5 gallon water bottles. Put my starter in the fridge. Drink a beer or 8 and go to bed.

Used to be nothing the night before, but I recently changed that. My last batch I even started my mash the night before as I did another batch that day and everything was already out.

I spread it out throughout the week.

Wednesday, fill the HLT and MT with water and build my water profile.
Thursday, boil some wort, seal, and place in fermentation chamber.
Friday morning, pitch yeast into wort starter.
Friday night, enjoy beer, and update my brewday spreadsheet program.
Saturday morning. Get out bed, and turn on the burner under the HLT, and bring it to a boil. (I dont count this as part of the brew day, because it could be a couple of hours before I actually start brewing)

Rinse mash tun and assemble manifold and valves, test for leaks. Assemble brew kettle manifold and valves and test for leaks. Fill flow through chiller with vinegar. Prepare HLT and fill, add salts. Mill grain, drink beer.

Getting Sh*t faced so i look and feel my best for the next day. I always have my water De-chlorinating, grain crushed, hops portioned and most important a procedure list of what i am supposed to do. IE mash volumes and temps, hops sched, pre-boil target, og target.

At a minimum I turn off the stir plate to let the yeast settle out. If I am feeling ambitious, I've printed out the recipe and the form I use to keep notes, and measured my grain.

Make a big starter wort. That is about it. I actually pitch yeast to the starter on brew day, around 7 AM. It's typically ready to do the dirty work by the afternoon.

Setup all my equipment in the garage. Measure out my water, add minerals and Campden tablets. Weigh and crush grains. Make yeast starter.

Latest posts

Back