What does it take to win a homebrew competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monmouth00

Reaction score
The New Jersey State Fair Homebrew Competition is open, and while I'm not going to enter a beer, it got me wondering.

What exactly does it take to win in a competition? Can anyone who has entered and won - or the some of the judges for that matter - weigh in on what exactly the beer is being judged on?

If brewing a Weiss beer, for example, is it being judged against the judges' perception of the style? Like, how good of an example of a Weiss it is? Or are competitors expected to put a new twist on a Weiss - like an interesting choice of hops, or fruit, etc.

Or does it simply come down to taste in a given category? "This is the best-tasting APA in the category, so it wins"

I've never even considered entering a competition, and probably won't unless it's on a whim, but I am curious.

Thanks!

What exactly does it take to win in a competition? Can anyone who has entered and won - or the some of the judges for that matter - weigh in on what exactly the beer is being judged on?

Make a really good beer and make sure it's pretty much within the BJCP guidelines for the style. If you do color outside the lines a little, go a little "bigger," e.g. slightly higher ABV, or maybe an IPA-like hop character in an APA. Making your beer stand out of the crowd can be good, as long as it doesn't obviously break the guidelines. (The judges don't see your recipe, and they can't actually measure ABV, IBUs, etc.)

If brewing a Weiss beer, for example, is it being judged against the judges' perception of the style? Like, how good of an example of a Weiss it is? Or are competitors expected to put a new twist on a Weiss - like an interesting choice of hops, or fruit, etc.

Beers are judged against the style guidelines, but the judges' own interpretations of the guidelines and their preferences/biases can certainly influence the outcomes. New "twists" will not generally be helpful, but if you do something unusual, there may be a different style to enter your beer in. E.g. your Hefe with fruit...enter it in the Fruit Beer category.

Or does it simply come down to taste in a given category? "This is the best-tasting APA in the category, so it wins"

That's the general idea. But always in the context of the guideline. For more specifics, download a BJCP scoresheet to see what factors are considered and scored.

Last edited:
I have toyed with entering a competition before but decided against it because it seems so subjective that it is almost pointless. I could make a beer that 10 people would love and 1 person (the judge) would dislike. My wife and I can't even agree on a good or bad beer or food. I would rather compete in events that can be measured more objectively.

I have toyed with entering a competition before but decided against it because it seems so subjective that it is almost pointless. I could make a beer that 10 people would love and 1 person (the judge) would dislike. My wife and I can't even agree on a good or bad beer or food. I would rather compete in events that can be measured more objectively.

One judge's opinion (or the opinions of two judges working together) has limited value, though it is very unbiased in the sense that the judge doesn't know who made the beer. Entering the same beer in multiple competitions can be far more useful... if you're getting similar feedback from judges who are not collaborating, you can have some faith in what they say.

Last edited:
The New Jersey State Fair Homebrew Competition is open, and while I'm not going to enter a beer, it got me wondering.

I've never even considered entering a competition, and probably won't unless it's on a whim, but I am curious.

Thanks!

Entering beer is the first step. Next, read the style guidelines and make sure you follow them when brewing the beer. Third, pray you get a judge or judges that actually have experience with your style ( I recently was in a comp and the judge was Mead judge not beer, said the yeast wasn't appropriate for the style when it was a strain specifically for the style I brewed). Last, do everything on your end that you can control to make the best beer possible. If you can adjust your water then do it, if you cam control ferm temp do it.

but I am curious.
What @VikeMan said.

Over the past couple of years, there have been a couple of Homebrew Con presentations where the presenter(s) talked about what they did to win competitions.

If you decide to get serious about entering, and assuming competitions get back to judging as a social event, sign up to be a steward. It's an good way to learn more about competitions.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that, to win, one must enter a beer which scores more points than any other entry in that category.

Captain Obvious

what exactly is the beer being judged on?

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf
Judged against style guidelines. I believe the 2015 style guidelines are mostly what’s being used now:

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
As others noted, it’s a combination of skill and luck. You want to brew a beer to the style guidelines with no faults. Different things are faults in one style but desired in another. A pilsener should not be cloudy but a NEIPA is. A wheat beer can have a clove aroma but thats a major fault and probably a sign of contamination in just about every other style. So your beer should match the guidelines for the style.

Judges are just presented plain brown bottles with a number on them. They don’t know who entered what beer or anything about your recipe. Only that you entered it as “Style X.” This is why they want you to use plain brown bottles with no identifying marks or features and use plain bottlecaps or black out your bottlecaps with a sharpie.

Then as others have said you hope to get the right judge and that your beer falls in a good position in the judging. Some judges can be new or not as familiar with a style. Some judges get assigned categories they despise. Somebody has to judge herb/spice/vegetable beer, I used to pray I never got that one. Belgians are also not my thing. Pallete fatigue is also real. If a judge is going through 14 IPAs and yours is the 10th one, their taste might not be as sharp at that point. Or if somebody just judged 11 barleywines, are they going to be in any shape to judge the next flight?

Then at the end it all comes down to best of show. They put all the first place winners out of every category against each other. And thats the part I always thought was less fair and more subjective. How do you decide the best made pilsener vs the best made English Pale Ale vs the best made barleywine? At least in category the beers are all the same category, apples against apples. Best of show is a different animal. On the plus side, best of show round is usually handled by the most experienced judges, unless they have a beer in the best of show round.

Also, you usually enter 2 bottles in a competition. The first bottle is used in the category judging. The second bottle is used if you make it to best of show. So there’s another variable, if your bottle A is different from your bottle B. Even a small difference in carbonation or something. Or if one bottle gets contaminated. It happens.

Last edited:
As an entrant, you hope the judge assigned to your table has a good knowledge of the style, the ability to detect off flavors at a reasonable threshold, and hits your entry prior to fatigue. That is particularly true if you actually executed the beer well and it IS within the guidelines.

There is always the chance for bias and subjectivity but everyone is trying to be fair so it doesnt invalidate the competition concept.

Entering for the first few times is humbling because the judging is blind. The beer lives and dies without brewer bias. It removes the mom goggles and the beer is seen for what it is, good or bad. It sometimes results in good suggestions on how to improve.

Some categories reward for creativity, but most expect classic style accuracy. The guidelines are clear on which is which.

You should enter one.

You should enter one.
Or better yet, go through the training and become a judge. It’s really valuable knowlege and experience.

I used to do it, but I’ve been in a job where I always have to work Saturdays for about 14 years now. Competitions are just about always held on Saturdays.

I recently was in a comp and the judge was Mead judge not beer, said the yeast wasn't appropriate for the style when it was a strain specifically for the style I brewed).
I once entered a CAP, Classic American Pilsener and had the judge hit me for DMS and a corn flavor. Imagine that, the recipe is 20% corn.

One judge's opinion (or the opinions of two judges working together) has limited value, though it is very unbiased in the sense that the judge doesn't know who made the beer. Entering the same beer in multiple competitions can be far more useful... if you're getting similar feedback from judges who are not collaborating, you can have some faith in what they say.
Entering beer is the first step. Next, read the style guidelines and make sure you follow them when brewing the beer. Third, pray you get a judge or judges that actually have experience with your style ( I recently was in a comp and the judge was Mead judge not beer, said the yeast wasn't appropriate for the style when it was a strain specifically for the style I brewed). Last, do everything on your end that you can control to make the best beer possible. If you can adjust your water then do it, if you cam control ferm temp do it.
I haven't judged a competition since 2000. Back then I was a BJCP certified judge. I used to travel around the country judging competitions. And back then, a BJCP judge had to be qualified to judge all styles in accordance with BJCP standards. When did judges become specialized in a particular style opposed to all categories?

Competitions can have all kinds of people judging. Not everyone who judges these competitions is a BJCP judge, though they about always try to have at least one certified judge do every category. We’ve had professional brewers from the local breweries judge. Other celebrity or guest judges. I’ve gotten scoresheets back with a label that said “Novice” next to people’s names. Sometimes they’ve had judges doing 3 flights and still just not enough judges, so they use who is available. It happens.

Our club did the competition virtual this year. We had to submit 3 bottles. 2 were used for category by judges meeting from their homes on Zoom. The third was for best of show, which they did in person.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that, to win, one must enter a beer which scores more points than any other entry in that category. {/QUOTE]

Funny, but not always true. If a style category is large enough, sure X number of beers that scored better than other beers can advance to a mini-Best of Show round. In that round, scores don't matter...it's a process of elimination by a new set of judges until they determine the 3 medal winners. Just recently I had a Czech Dark that only scored a 31 advance to mini-BOS where it took 2nd place, and I assume it beat higher scoring beers. Meanwhile, I have also have 40 pt plus beers not medal in mini-BOS round.

To win in a comp, you need to obviously make a great beer that meets the style guidelines or edges over the high end of style guidelines. But it's all subjective to the judges on that day, their experience level, etc. Larger comps will have better judging (more national ranked, certified judges) while a small comp may have more judges who are not certified, i.e. local club members, pro brewers etc. Also regional tastes of the judges can factor too also depending on where you send a beer. The key is too take the judges comments with a grain of salt. I had a beer score 44,42,38 and take 1st, 2nd, 2nd in East Coast comps...then sent it to a comp in Utah where it scored a 27. Did something go wrong with the bottles, or could it have been less judges in Utah have ever tasted a Czech Dark and not sure what to expect. Who knows, I considered that one an outlier.

Couple more tip for the OP...if you decide to enter a comp, enter the beer in a category based on what it tastes like, not based on what you attended. For example, let's say you brewed an Amber Ale but used too many hops and it's super hoppy. Then does it taste like a Red IPA? If so, enter it as that. Also the guidelines are just that, a guide. If you OG is 2 pts over guideline, or ABV 2 pts under, it's not an issue...judges don't know the beer's stats, they are judging on aroma, appearance, flavor, mouthfeel and overall quality; so as long as it smells, tastes and looks like what the guidelines say it should, you are good to go. Also, if a beer straddles two styles, don't be afraid to enter it in both categories. I brewed a Pre-Prohibition Porter once and entered it in that style and in British porter and it medaled in both.

Also, if a beer straddles two styles, don't be afraid to enter it in both categories. I brewed a Pre-Prohibition Porter once and entered it in that style and in British porter and it medaled in both.

Yep. Three years in a row, in a particular competition, I entered a Bo Pils as a Bo Pils and as a German Pils. To the judges' credits, it scored better as a Bo Pils than as a German Pils, but took first and second in that flight (in the "correct" order) all three years.

I haven't judged a competition since 2000. Back then I was a BJCP certified judge. I used to travel around the country judging competitions. And back then, a BJCP judge had to be qualified to judge all styles in accordance with BJCP standards. When did judges become specialized in a particular style opposed to all categories?
I passed the exam in 2000, haven’t judged since probably 2004 or 2005. Haven’t entered a competition since probably around the same time. I just put 3 in our local club competition mainly to support. They did virtual judging and the results are going to be announced this Sat.

One I think was really good, one was ok, one I entered just because I was allowed to enter 3 so to support the club. In the end, I think that’s what its about.

Judging is very subjective. I have always entered the same beers/ciders in different competitions. I take what the score sheets say from one and adjust the category for the next.

As an example, I entered one as a Pale Ale that didn't place and the comments were that it wasn't hoppy enough, even though it was with the guidelines, I entered it as a Blonde Ale in the next one and took a Silver medal. Another beer entered in the same 2 competitions as an IPA did not place because it wasn't hoppy enough, even though it exceeded guidelines. A 3rd one didn't place in the 1st but took Gold in the second. A Cider took Silver in the 1st one and Gold & Best of Show in the 2nd one. A Sour Ale entered in the 2nd competition came back with comments of Undrinkable & Infected, yet I had local brewery owners & their brewers constantly asking me to bring a bottle to the local bottle shares.

I've found that there are a lot of judges with biases against beers they don't like. Especially if they are homebrewers and feel threatened by a new style.

I've found that there are a lot of judges with biases against beers they don't like. Especially if they are homebrewers and feel threatened by a new style.
I don’t know about “threatened” but you’re right about biases and individual likes and dislikes.

All the categories have to be judged and judges get assigned. Everybody doesn’t get to judge everything they really like and get to not judge all the categories they don’t really care for. Life just isn’t that perfect.

As I said earlier, somebody has to judge herb, spice, vegetable beer and I used to really hope it wouldn’t be me. I don’t want the chocolate chicken chipotle porters. I don’t like most Belgians, they make me physically ill. Same with sours.

I’m not threatened by “new categories”. I’ve seen quite a few come and go. ESB is not a style any more, for example. How many individual styles of IPA came and went? NEIPA is the shiny new toy - for now.

I’m not judging anymore, but one trick I learned was that if you as a judge put a beer in a category, they won’t have you judge that category. “Let’s see - how can I use this to my advantage?” 😄

If I enter a Belgian, I’m guaranteed not to have to judge Belgians. I don’t brew Belgians, but even if I entered a blonde ale as a Belgian blonde, I could pay the small fee and be guaranteed not to get assigned that category. I did it a bunch of times. Better for everybody. Better for me because I’m not judging a category that makes me ill. Better for the entrants, since i’m not writing their score sheets. Better for another judge who may actually enjoy Belgians to get assigned to that category. Win/win/win

Last edited:

Judges certainly have biases. But how could you tell from a scoresheet that a judge didn't like a style, let alone felt threatened by it?

Yep. Three years in a row, in a particular competition, I entered a Bo Pils as a Bo Pils and as a German Pils. To the judges' credits, it scored better as a Bo Pils than as a German Pils, but took first and second in that flight (in the "correct" order) all three years.

I had a Helles one year that I diluted in the bottles with water...2 oz dilution for International Pale Lager, 4 oz for American Light lager and entered in 4 comps. The Helles only medaled in NHC regions, the 2 oz dilution medaled in everything but NHC, taking two firsts and a 2nd and the 4 oz one took a 2nd and a 3rd, But the funny thing is a couple judges mentioned the corn aroma in the diluted beers being "too style", when there was zero corn in it. Because of the styles the beer was in, the judges perceived something that was not there. The Helles did not get dinged for corn aroma itself, since there wasn't any. It's kind of like when I got crushed with a Cal Common for "citrus hops" and the judge told me to try Northern Brewer next time and the beer was 100% Northern Brewer hops.

I'm a mead maker and cider maker (actually LONG before brewing beer) but I'm not a mead judge or a cider judge. I can do it, but I'm not recognized as such. I am a certified beer judge though. I have enough points for national, but no inclination to travel or exams any longer (I live in a rural area, and must travel approx 5 hours each way, or more, for exams).

I am a very good beer judge, and judge all categories. Since I judge according to the style guidelines and not personal preference (as all good judges do), it doesn't matter which style I judge. I have a friend who is something like a Grand Master VI (I honestly don't remember!) who has assigned me to judge with her, and we usually have very similar remarks and scores.

I'm honestly a decent beer brewer (and have the medals to prove it), but I've been making wine and mead at least 15 or 20 years longer than beer, so that's more my proficiency. Not all that many judges are experts at all beer styles, ciders, and meads. It takes a lot of work, testing, and study to be accredited in all of them!

Judges certainly have biases. But how could you tell from a scoresheet that a judge didn't like a style, let alone felt threatened by it?

In one competition, when Cascadian Dark Ales were the new brew on the block, I had one that was getting great reviews from 2 local brew clubs and 3 or 4 local new breweries. Score sheets were all over the place. 2 of the 3 judges in that category were from the same brew club and all 3 medal winners were from their brew club. One of the comments on a score sheet specifically stated that the judge didn't find the beer palatable and not in style, for a new style it was rather telling. I brought the scores sheets and results to the organizer's attention and the following year there were no judges from that club.

I have two beers in my first competition tomorrow. I think they are pretty good, but I’m mostly keen to get feedback and see if there’s anything I could do better.

I’ve volunteered as a steward for the day which means I’m going to get to taste a LOT of beer, which I’m looking at as another learning experience. Plus it will be good to try some beers from the two categories I’ve entered to see for myself what everyone else is up to.

Good luck! Take the information from the score sheets and learn what is expected from those judges. If you don't place but get decent feedback about style and taste, brew it again next year for the same competition and utilize their critic. I took a 3rd to a 2nd that way (subsequently took 2 other Silvers that second year in other comps). Save one or two of them for after the competition and go ever your score sheets while tasting one to see if you see what they were saying.

In one competition, when Cascadian Dark Ales were the new brew on the block, I had one that was getting great reviews from 2 local brew clubs and 3 or 4 local new breweries. Score sheets were all over the place. 2 of the 3 judges in that category were from the same brew club and all 3 medal winners were from their brew club. One of the comments on a score sheet specifically stated that the judge didn't find the beer palatable and not in style, for a new style it was rather telling. I brought the scores sheets and results to the organizer's attention and the following year there were no judges from that club.

It sounds like you're describing possible cheating, which if true, is deplorable. But I still don't see how any of this indicates a judge not liking the style. Maybe I'm missing something, but a judge "didn't find the beer palatable and not in style" doesn't to me mean he/she doesn't like the style, whether it's a new style or an old style.

It sounds like you're describing possible cheating, which if true, is deplorable. But I still don't see how any of this indicates a judge not liking the style. Maybe I'm missing something, but a judge "didn't find the beer palatable and not in style" doesn't to me mean he/she doesn't like the style, whether it's a new style or an old style.

I had to dig up a 7 yo score sheet...

His comment was "Not a fan of this particular beer, it is unpalatable and not in style for an IPA. Perhaps not using dark malt would improve this beer."

This was for a Black IPA, otherwise known as a Dark Cascadian Ale. If he didn't know what he was judging, then he shouldn't have been judging that particular style. The fact that there were 8 total beers in that style and all 3 went to members of their own brew club was enough for the organizer to ask them not to send any judges the following year.

I had to dig up a 7 yo score sheet...

His comment was "Not a fan of this particular beer, it is unpalatable and not in style for an IPA. Perhaps not using dark malt would improve this beer."

This was for a Black IPA, otherwise known as a Dark Cascadian Ale. If he didn't know what he was judging, then he shouldn't have been judging that particular style.

So, seven years ago would have been under BJCP 2008 guidelines. What category did you enter it in?

It sounds like you're describing possible cheating, which if true, is deplorable.
Agreed. I like to try to give people benefit of the doubt though. If they were cheating, how could they have done it? Sounds like they were not part of the competition organization, just random judges from another club. As such they would not have had access to any entry information. Judges are supposed to be just presented plain brown bottles with no identifying marks or features and plain caps or blacked out caps. Each entry just has a number. If somebody entered bottles that could be uniquely identified, the organizer should have thrown them out. You would not accept a Sam Smith bottle for example, or a swingtop. I have seen people get away with using Sam Adams bottles, though those should also really be a no-no. Judges also do not know what categories they will be judging until the day of the competition. So unless they had a way to know in advance what category they would be judging and which entry numbers were guys from their club, it would be really difficult.

I looked up two competitions somewhat near me and both require 4 bottles per entry. Is that a new standard? When bottling to enter , the keg kicked and one only has about 10oz. Wondering if that is an issue

I looked up two competitions somewhat near me and both require 4 bottles per entry. Is that a new standard? When bottling to enter , the keg kicked and one only has about 10oz. Wondering if that is an issue
New by me. Usually 2 bottles. I just entered a competition that wanted 3 bottles and thats because the judges were doing it on line with Zoom so each judge needed their own bottle plus the third for best of show round if the beer made it. Might be some variation of that why they want 4, but 4 is not a standard. And yeah, I guess that’s a problem if you don’t have 4 full ones.

IMO, brew what you like/enjoy. Why need validation from unreliable/subjective judge(s)?
Our club’s competition is one of the club’s major fundraisers. This is where money comes from to do club events, have a Christmas party, etc. We enter beers to support our own club. That said, I do brew what I like and I don’t go looking all over the country for competitions to mail my beers to.

"What does it take to win a homebrew competition?" The simple answer is: an Excellent to Outstanding homebrew that is a classic example to the style without flaws and leaves a wonderful impression.

A lot of focus has been put on unreliable judging. I think that's a silly argument...can you get an incompetent judge? Absolutely. I see little point worrying about things that may or may not be the case.

Before entering a competition, you need to ask yourself one simple question. Can I handle someone calling my baby ugly? If you can't cope with that potential fact, then don't enter into a comp.

I entered my first comp after 2 years of homebrewing. My friends and family told me I was brewing good beer, and I thought I was brewing good beer, but I wanted an unbiased opinion on my beer, plus I'm a competitor and I wanted to see how my beer stacked-up against others.

I did pretty well that first comp and felt I was on the right path.

There is always a potential to get bad advice from a trusted source and Beer Judging is no different, so yeah, sometimes you have to weed through the info. However, I am one that firmly believes that taking critiques from judging comps is a great way to improve your beer. If you want to Win a beer comp, sometimes you have to go through a loss and find ways to get better.

For my personal case study, in my first comp, I ended up scoring a 33/50 to win a Silver Medal (which is a really weak win). I took what the judges said to heart, worked on the recipe, and 3 years later submitted the beer for judging. Scored a 45/50 and took Gold.

Now? I'm done competing! :D I know I have the potential to make Outstanding beer. Plus, because I have run the gambit of having beers judged from Fair to Outstanding, I feel I'm a little bit more calibrated and have become more unbiased about my beer and a better homebrewer because of it.

"What does it take to win a homebrew competition?" The simple answer is: an Excellent to Outstanding homebrew that is a classic example to the style without flaws and leaves a wonderful impression.

A lot of focus has been put on unreliable judging. I think that's a silly argument...can you get an incompetent judge? Absolutely. I see little point worrying about things that may or may not be the case.

Before entering a competition, you need to ask yourself one simple question. Can I handle someone calling my baby ugly? If you can't cope with that potential fact, then don't enter into a comp.

I entered my first comp after 2 years of homebrewing. My friends and family told me I was brewing good beer, and I thought I was brewing good beer, but I wanted an unbiased opinion on my beer, plus I'm a competitor and I wanted to see how my beer stacked-up against others.

I did pretty well that first comp and felt I was on the right path.

There is always a potential to get bad advice from a trusted source and Beer Judging is no different, so yeah, sometimes you have to weed through the info. However, I am one that firmly believes that taking critiques from judging comps is a great way to improve your beer. If you want to Win a beer comp, sometimes you have to go through a loss and find ways to get better.

For my personal case study, in my first comp, I ended up scoring a 33/50 to win a Silver Medal (which is a really weak win). I took what the judges said to heart, worked on the recipe, and 3 years later submitted the beer for judging. Scored a 45/50 and took Gold.

Now? I'm done competing! :D I know I have the potential to make Outstanding beer. Plus, because I have run the gambit of having beers judged from Fair to Outstanding, I feel I'm a little bit more calibrated and have become more unbiased about my beer and a better homebrewer because of it.
Kudos to all the judges who went through the training and volunteer their time. But just remember that - for the most part “judges” are fellow homebrewers just like yourself who took some training and passed a test. Who is to say they know more or taste better than anyone else?

Does every fellow homebrewer brew and enjoy every single style in the BJCP guidelines and is every fellow homebrewer an expert on every single style? Of course not. Does every fellow homebrewer enjoy every single style? Of course not. That was most of the point being made. Just because somebody can pass a test and write down what makes a good Belgian beer doesn’t make them an expert on all Belgian styles.

Different people also have different flavor thresholds. One judge will tell you your beer reeks of DMS and the judge sitting next to him can’t smell it.

There’s also effort required to keep up with current styles. I haven’t judged since about 2005 and the style guidelines have been completely re-written since then. Could I judge every single style today? No. I would expect to have to take the test again if I wanted to judge now or I would be doing a dis-service. (I have no desire or inclination to take the test again.)

The majority of judges are great people volunteering their time to do a service. But we all have our preferences, styles we like to drink, styles we like to brew. We all have styles we don’t enjoy and don’t want to drink. We all have varying levels of knowlege on different styles and topics - and that does come into play. Thats most of what was being said.

I wouldn’t put beer judges up on some pedestal and take every word every judge writes as some gospel truth.

In the COVID-era with competitions dealing with social distancing and uncertainties, it is not uncommon to require more bottles. It could be that the judges are in different locations, or the BOS judging will be at a separate location.

Back