What does it mean when your krausen doesn't go away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmkealiher

Reaction score
Usually by the time primary fermentation is over the krausen has gone away, but sometimes it sticks around until I transfer to secondary. I currently have one that I'm thinking is ready to transfer, yet the krausen has stayed where it peeked; almost the top of my 6.5 gallon carboy. Is there any significance to this?

it all depends on recipe and yeast... When I make a wit beer the krausen doesn't seem to fall until I move the carboy after a few weeks... and it is all done and ready.

How long has it been and what is your recipe and yeast.

Different yeast will do different things but you are best off leaving the beer in the primary until the krausen drops as this process is part of the clarification process so it just needs more time. Some yeast are very slow to flocculate(Drop out of suspension)

My last Heffe the Krausen did not go away until I racked (Yes, i know no real need to rack, but there was a lot of yeast in this one! One very strong ferment!)

That happens sometimes. Some yeast strains are more likely to keep a krausen than others, but I've had it happen where the krausen never dropped. Never, and the beer had been at FG for over a week!

Thanks. The recipe was just 10 lbs of 2-row and 1 of crystal. It was an IPA so lots of hops. The yeast was some 1056 that I harvested and cleaned during brewing. Maybe I used too much?

I have that problem with kolsch, after 7 to 10 days I go to the dreaded and evil secondary.

So this is actually happening for me too, right now. I brewed this Oktoberfest recipe 2 weeks ago. I accidentally smacked the Wyeast 3068 instead of the recommended. It spent 24 hours at 68 deg and exploded from my 6.5 gal carboy. Then I dropped it to 48 for a day and it exploded again. It's been at 44 since with an inch of foam. If I shake it gently I see yeast drop but it doesn't seem to be happening on its own. I've never had this happen to me but I'm wondering how normal it is. I haven't done a reading but I will tomorrow. Should I leave it be or rack to secondary to rest?

Back