What does "clean" mean when referring to yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
I hear it a lot with US-05 and WLP001. Does this mean that the yeast won't add to the end flavor of the beer (assuming fermenting temps were OK)?

Just so you know IMO US-05 is far from clean. It leaves a very distinct flavor. Wyeast American Ale does not.

clean basically means its not noticeable. Like with hops, Magnum is widely regarded as imparting a clean bitterness without any big flavors. Personally, I've never got weird flavors from US-05, but I have from Nottingham (another "clean" yeast). US-05 is the only dry yeast I'll still use

I must just have bad luck. Always had the same off flavor from the 05. My ferment temps were always in the high 60s. Then looking at some other threads people described the 'peachy' flavor when fermented at low temperatures.

I love the Wyeast American Ale and the Scottish Ale. Those are both very clean to me.

I also find us-05 to give off some sort of flavour, it might be a hint of that peach found in lower temps, or a bit caramell-ish, just a bit. But ive only noticed this from a sacket pitch. If you harvest it and repitch you get a more clean end to it.

Oh. And after trying out different temps ive landed on 19c, flat, for all my us-05. Thats 66.5 in that weird scale.

I also find us-05 to give off some sort of flavour, it might be a hint of that peach found in lower temps, or a bit caramell-ish, just a bit. But ive only noticed this from a sacket pitch. If you harvest it and repitch you get a more clean end to it.

Oh. And after trying out different temps ive landed on 19c, flat, for all my us-05. Thats 66.5 in that weird scale.

You mean the scale that ISNT based on common sense?

Just so you know IMO US-05 is far from clean. It leaves a very distinct flavor. Wyeast American Ale does not.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't say it's "far from clean", as other brewers seem to not notice "that flavor". I get it from cool fermentation temperatures, as well as warm fermentation temperatures in both Wyeast 1056 and S05. But I do not get that flavor from WLP001, said to be a very similar strain.

I rarely use S05, as a result. I think the lower temperature fermentation, about under 64 degrees, makes an odd "peachy" note in the beer while I get other fruity esters when it's above 70 degrees. So I use it only at 65-68 degrees, and even though I'm not wild about it because it takes forever to flocculate out of the beer.

I get really "clean" beers from pacman ale yeast at 58-62 degrees, nottingham at under 60 degrees, and even Wyeast 1335 (an English strain) at under 65.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't say it's "far from clean", as other brewers seem to not notice "that flavor". I get it from cool fermentation temperatures, as well as warm fermentation temperatures in both Wyeast 1056 and S05. But I do not get that flavor from WLP001, said to be a very similar strain.

I rarely use S05, as a result. I think the lower temperature fermentation, about under 64 degrees, makes an odd "peachy" note in the beer while I get other fruity esters when it's above 70 degrees. So I use it only at 65-68 degrees, and even though I'm not wild about it because it takes forever to flocculate out of the beer.

I get really "clean" beers from pacman ale yeast at 58-62 degrees, nottingham at under 60 degrees, and even Wyeast 1335 (an English strain) at under 65.

I haven't tried the WLP001 but I should sometime. I'd like to try the pacman but I haven't ever seen it. I'll give that 1335 a try also.

I hope I never notice that flavor from the wyeast. It ruins a beer for me as soon as I burp.

I'm starting to wonder if something in the water can aid & abet the peach flavor ester forming? I've not really gotten much if any of that?

Back