what do you think of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy_kev

Reaction score
3/4 lb Melanoidin
2/3 lb 40L

2 cans Coopers Light LME

1 oz Perle (60 Mins)
1 oz Hersbrucker (Last 10)

Liquid Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager

I posted on here a few weeks ago about using my left over grains and never got around to using them. I was passing the LHBS today and said lets stop in a get a recipe. So thats what she came up with. She said its a Fest.

thoughts/comments? Probably not brewing until after football tomorrow.

mmmmm.... Melanoidin... mmmmm.... Should be tasty! I've become quite the hop head tho, I'd probly drop hop it too. Course, i'm dry hopping a low ibu Doppelwizen... *shrug*:D

funny you mentioned that, I was looking on beer tools and it says about a 38 for IBUs which is the highest I have ever brewed. Not too much a hop fan yet, definately like a sweeter brew. I was thinking of dropping some of the perl but I dont think I am going to mess with it, 38 isnt that bitter

Well, there's a hoppy beer, and there's a bitter beer. Then there's the bitter hoppy beer. For giggles you could always try just adding one whole hop each bottle of a test group, lets say 6 beers, to see if you like hoppier beers or not. That would simulate dry hopping. Then you'd know whether or not you were a fan of hoppy beers or not. I'm not overly happy with excessivly bitter beers myself. Don't get me wrong, arrogant bastard ale is a GREAT one IMHO, but if it were less bitter but just as hoppy I'd be MUCH happier with it. :D There's just something about the finish of a hoppy beer that is almost a religeous experience to me. A good balanced beer I've found just a few weeks ago is Lagunitas Maximus IPA. It's 7.4 or so % ABV and only 72ish IBU's. Now, that is a TON more bitter than this recepie, but for This style of beer it seems to be less bitter and at the same time tends to be sweeter yet it still retains that wonderful hoppy aroma and just a KICK @$$ finish. I am unsure of any good hoppy beers in the 30-45 IBU/4-5.5%abv range like this recepie is. Maybe someone can recommend one that's a bit hoppier that isn't so bitter that it emulates the crushed asprin taste that so many people associate to bitterness. :mug:

I was in Alaska for work, in the beginning of the year, and had a few IPAs and ESBs from MicroBrews up there. I could get them down and even ordered seconds of some of them but not sure I could put down 5 gallons of either. I agree there is a difference between a bitter beer and a hoppy beer and I definately choose hoppy over bitter.

So I can just add some hops to an already carbonated beer to test dry hopping?

Sometimes I like adding all of my hops towards the end of the boil - last 20 minutes or so - instead of fewer hops at the beginning. You have to use a lot more hops, but theoretically you still end up with the same IBU's. IMHO it's much less harsh and you get a lot more hop flavor & aroma.

kevy_kev said:
I was in Alaska for work, in the beginning of the year, and had a few IPAs and ESBs from MicroBrews up there. I could get them down and even ordered seconds of some of them but not sure I could put down 5 gallons of either. I agree there is a difference between a bitter beer and a hoppy beer and I definately choose hoppy over bitter.

So I can just add some hops to an already carbonated beer to test dry hopping?

Sure, just pop the top, drop in a hop, and cap that bad boy real quick! Put 2 in another, 3 in another. hey, why not 4 in another, figure out about how many you like per beer. Let them sit for about how long you let your beer sit in your secondary. Once you figure out how many you like per beer multiply that number by how many beers you get on an average batch of beer. Count how many are in a one oz baggy and divide how many you like by the number in one oz and it will tell you approx how many oz of hops to add to your beer in the secondary to get the desired hoppy flavor... ok... too much thinking.... ack.... need another beer..... ugh... hehehehe ;) :D

well I made it last night and it is sitting in primary now. It was a little chilly sitting outside when the sun went down watching my boil on the turkey fryer!

I am a little concerned now because I dont have a fermentation yet. I smacked the bag of yeast at about 11 yesterday morning and it had barely swelled up by the time I pitched around 8 last night. And then this morning no bubbles yet. Usually by this time I have blown the cap off at least once.

as far as taste go, it starts off really sweet and then has a nice hoppy aftertaste.
I hope the sweetness mellows out some because it is really sweet. I did add a little extra Amber dry malt I had laying around, about .5 lbs.
OG was 1.049

I have an ounce of perl hops left, maybe I will try dry hopping a few bottles.
Can I do this as I am bottling? I use pellets, any problem with dry hopping them?

I have never used pellets. I might think that they would break apart and drop to the bottom or float near the top. Aside from there just being hops in your beer when you pour it out it will cause no problems. maybe you could strain the beer out of the bottle into the glass when you pour it. *shrug* Or if they sink to the bottom just don't pour the whole glass leaving the pellet and trube on the bottom of the glass. (personaly I love the last 3 ounces of a beer, I swish it around and get all of the hoppy yeasty goodness out of the bottom of the bottle. Some people don't like that though. :) Maybe someone who has experience with pellets could chime in! :)

Back