What do you think of this Irish Red???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch62383

Reaction score
I am new to brewing I have 4 batches under my belt. I am wanting to make an Irish red but I am going out on a limb here and want to experiment with my own creation. Like I said I am guess here after reading and looking up multiple recipes tell me if you think this would be a good beer.

7 Lbs of LME-Light
1 Lbs of DME-Light
Steeping Grains
Crystal Malt 120- 10.00 oz
Biscuit Malt- 6.00 0z
Roasted Barley- 4.00 oz

Hops
Goldings 1 oz at 60 mins
Willamatte .5 oz at 45 mins
Willamatte .5 oz at 15 mins

Yeast Irish Ale Yeast/ Liquid + starter
I am using Brew Target to keep everything within Range of the style according to the program. Like I said I am just guessing but any input would be helpful. Thanks everyone

This is a good start. I have just a few suggestions.

*There usually isn't a reason for a 45 minute hop addition. Either you are using it for bittering, in which case you'd do 60 minutes to get more efficient usage, or you're using it for flavor (30-15 minutes) or aroma (15-end). Moreover, Irish red doesn't usually have much hop flavor, and it has very little hop aroma. So I'd do maybe 1/2 an oz of Willamette at 30, and nothing else--if you're brewing to the traditional style, which you don't have to do.

*Any particular reason you have both LME and DME there? is it just what you have on hand or can find easily? You'd be fine using just one or the other.

*What is your calculated OG and IBUs for this recipe? (Also, what are the AA% on the hops? And is this for a 5 gallon batch?) It's good to know those numbers and check them against style guidelines (the BJCP are a good place to start), especially when you're new. If you don't have brewing software, check out brewtoad.com, which is free.

*I suspect that 4 oz of roasted barley will overshoot your red color and give you more of an Irish brown. As little as 1-2 oz is probably going to be enough. It's hard to get the color exactly right, though.

*Last tip: really make sure that you are on the low end of fermentation temperature for your yeast, and try to keep your fermentation in check. Irish red is a very clean beer. In fact, it can even be brewed as a lager.

Good luck!

*I suspect that 4 oz of roasted barley will overshoot your red color and give you more of an Irish brown. As little as 1-2 oz is probably going to be enough. It's hard to get the color exactly right, though.
With that crystal 120 in there, don't you think he should leave the roasted b out altogether? Or maybe dial down to a crystal 60

I screwed up I will just use 8 lbs of LME
calculated OG and IBUs is 1.057 OG and 26.1 IBUs according to brew target software
I can cut back the roasted barley to 2 oz
The only reason I added to hop additions at the times I did is because I wanted to keep it within the style according to brew target. Currently my fermenting temperatures are at 64-66 in the basement BTW it is a 5 gallon batch

Latest posts

Back