What do you do with your spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom takes the spent grains I give her and blends them with dates and then bakes them like biscuits. Then top them off with Dark Chocolate and allow it to set in the fridge.

Recently did my first AG batch and was unsure what to do with the spent grains. Unfortunately I do not have a dog, chickens, a yard, garden or enough space for a compost pile for my spent grains. However, what I do have is a terrific zoo nearby and the Dietician seemed pleased to take the grains off my hands! My brother is a competitive pumpkin grower so we have taken a few 600+lb gourds to her in the past and watched the Elephants play with and eat them. They seemed happy, which made me happy. I imagine this is what I will do with all my spent grains in the future :mug:

Spent Grain German Treberbrot - you may want to add some sugar to get it to rise more because the bread was a little to flat to cut and make sandwiches. It was very good and is a hardy bread.

• 1 cup - Spent Grains
• 1 cup - Bread Flour
• 1 cup - Whole Wheat Flour (Or bread flour)
• 2/3 cup - Warm Water
• 1 teaspoon - Active Dry Yeast
• 1/4 teaspoon - Salt

Directions

1. Mix all the ingredients well and kneed for about 10 min. After that let the dough rise until doubled in volume

2. Once risen for the first time, knock the dough down and form a loaf. Let this loaf rise for another 30 min

3. With a sharp knife cut slits into the top and bake for about 40 min at 420°F. For the first 20 min use a spritz bottle to spray water into the oven every 5 minutes. The added humidity will help the crust formation

4. Take it out of the oven and let it cool

20229872_1667839093228297_7357728337276099341_o[1].jpg

@dpeters how much moisture did the loaves retain? I find that the big issue I have adding spent grain to dough is when the final product is going to be dry (like pretzels).

Rather than spritzing the crust, would putting a tray with plenty of hot water on a lower shelf when you turn the oven on accomplish the same thing?

I do have is a terrific zoo nearby and the Dietician seemed pleased to take the grains off my hands! My brother is a competitive pumpkin grower so we have taken a few 600+lb gourds to her in the past and watched the Elephants play with and eat them. They seemed happy, which made me happy. I imagine this is what I will do with all my spent grains in the future :mug:

You are supposed to feed spent grain to a horse that has foundered so it would make sense that a zoo would be happy to see it.

I used to make bread or other baked goods with it, but have fallen out of the practice recently. Usually spread it around the garden. There's a family near me raising chickens but I haven't been able to bring any over to them.

Back