What do I need to keep a keg fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignatedDecoy

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about buying a keg of beer... but I won't be able to finish the 15.5 gallons in a day or two. What is the absolute bare minimum I need to keep it from going stale.

I'm guessing I will need:
a CO2 tank
a special tap that accommodates a hose for CO2

Can anyone make any cheap recommendations?

Since it won't fit in the fridge, I'll just re-ice it in the big bucket every time I have people over. Ice is pretty inexpensive. Thanks!

If you are using co2 for serving your beer should last for quite a while. If you are using a typical pump they rent out at the keg store, it would oxidize fairly fast. keep the beer cold and you should be fine for weeks or longer if necessary.

Thanks J-bear. I've never done this before. Can I use the tap the liquor store gives me and hook up co2 to that. OR do i need a special tap to make this work?

Keeping it cold will be your issue. You will need a Sanke tap that you will hook your CO2 and beer line to. They also call the Sanke tap a D coupler when you are searching for one.

Latest posts

Back