What do I need to do to use this water to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookedibrews

Reaction score
This is what I could find on my water here in watauga tx.

image.jpg

Page 3. Any suggestions would help. I'm looking to use my city water to brew. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make it good to brew with.

image.jpg

There is, lamentably, no information useful to a brewer in this report (well, nitrates maybe). You need to send a sample off to Ward Labs to get the data you must have in order to discuss the suitability of this water for brewing.

^^^This. The information in this report is all about toxicity/contamination which tells you whether your water is safe to drink. You need to specifically request a water report for brewing (you want at a minimum Ca, Cl, Mg, hardness and/or carbonates, pH, Na, SO4).

First call your water authority/company to acquire those numbers you need. They have them, but are not required to publish them, so they often don't. You're posing as a consumer interested in the quality of your drinking water, particularly those minerals and parameters.

If you end up sending to Ward labs get the cheaper $21 W-6 "household water test" and send in your own bottle, don't get the kit. Word of caution, any sample is only a snapshot. Depending on your water company's water resources these numbers may change any time with the seasons or for other reasons.

I lived in a city where water was pumped out of a river 15 miles southeast when the local reservoir was running "low." This was mostly during the summer. The difference in quality was enormous. The water also turned green during those periods, but I couldn't quite process film in it, yet.

It looks like you get Fort Worth water, so just look at their online water reports for the mineral contents. It's available online for free.

Latest posts

Back