What do I do with 4 gallons of honey???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Yep, my friend delivered the honey yesterday.
4 gallons, must be 30lbs!!!

Not sure I want to make mead.
Anyone in RI want some?

Seriously though, why don't you add 1/2 gallon of lemon juice pitch some yeast and leave it for a year or two as long as its good quality honey you should have a decent liquer at the end...
Disclaimer: I've actually never brewed mead and am a total newb but this sounded like a
Good idea in my head.....

I personally also love it as an adjunct in some standard recipes. Do any Belgians or anything? But yeah, that's a lot to use it all up as adjuncts :p Why not make mead? Sounds delicious to me.

You could always use it to boost your ABV in your beers if you want a really strong get ya drunk style. Personally I would try a mead out of it just because I haven't done it before.

Since you know the brewing side of things, why not make a braggot? Something big, like Schramm's "Hefty Braggot" would get rid of 8-9 lbs of that, and be something you could lay down to enjoy for years. That will give you time to get used to the whole meadmaking thing.

I put 2 lbs of honey in a blond ale last summer that turned out really well and didn't have to be aged for years, of course the ABV was a bit high for blond ale. A damn shame really...

Back