what dme do you use for your starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I've been using extra light so as not to contribute flavor or color.

Do you use something different?

Do you change based on what you're brewing?

Cheers

Extra light, but I decant off the wort and only pitch the yeast so I wouldn't hesitate to use any other type of DME if I had some laying around.

I use the John Palmer technique, so it doesn't matter.

-Make the starter (1/2c DME per pint of H2O)
-stir plate for at least 36 hours
-cool the starter in the fridge for about 30 minutes so the yeast flocculates to the bottom
-bring out of the fridge when your done boiling the wort.
-pour off the original starter liquid and add some of the 70F wort, swirl until the yeast slurry mixes well.
-add your yeast nutrient to this mix,
-then pitch into the wort after it had been cooled to optimal temp and oxygenated.

This means you won't add the "small beer" to your wort, only the yeast slurry mixed with the wort you've made yourself :)

I use the John Palmer technique, so it doesn't matter.

-Make the starter (1/2c DME per pint of H2O)
-stir plate for at least 36 hours
-cool the starter in the fridge for about 30 minutes so the yeast flocculates to the bottom
-bring out of the fridge when your done boiling the wort.
-pour off the original starter liquid and add some of the 70F wort, swirl until the yeast slurry mixes well.
-add your yeast nutrient to this mix,
-then pitch into the wort after it had been cooled to optimal temp and oxygenated.

This means you won't add the "small beer" to your wort, only the yeast slurry mixed with the wort you've made yourself :)

That is a good idea...adding my new wort then pitching it. But I've been making much larger starters though. Perhaps I can save some dme and dial them down a bit.

That is a good idea...adding my new wort then pitching it. But I've been making much larger starters though. Perhaps I can save some dme and dial them down a bit.

Use proper sized starters. See mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com among other calculators.

Then use the stated method while disregarding the size.

I prefer the extra light DME but certainly a light one.

Latest posts

Back