What did you get from your LHBS today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If we brewers want a LHBS in the area, we need to support them with our wallets. I picked up hothead yeast a couple packets of T58, and ingredients for a big beer. The convenience of driving and picking up something right away instead of waiting for a delivery is something I’m grateful for, since I know for many it is just not possible.

Lately just pissed off b/c they rarely have what I want and prices are steep.

Swung by the Riverside Morebeer store. Got some select spalt and discovered they do not carry Opal.

We recently had a local brewery go out of business and they sold all their grain stock at wholesale. Grabbed a few 55 pound bags of different base malts and a bunch of 10 and 15 pound bags of various other grains. Wont need grain for a while :)

Lately just pissed off b/c they rarely have what I want and prices are steep.
Yeah that is disappointing. The first shop I stepped foot in didn’t seem to have much stock all I needed at the time was an airlock and bung (for sauerkraut) . A couple months later I went back because I had started brewing and saw they were going out of business. Fortunately, I found another store 25 minutes away from home, that was well stocked, open during their posted hours, etc. but some prices were a little high, but fresh malts and good advice were worth it.

6C20D2D6-F4A1-4034-BDCB-BDE4767C8B70.jpeg
Nearly all my fermenters are in use and I’ve run out of bungs! So quick trip to the store. Got a cheap brew bag too that will hold me until I can get a Wilser for my bigger kettle.

Stopped by mine (Brew and Grow), picked up some S-04 to try on some ciders soon, and a bag of rubber gaskets to replace the bad ones on all the Grolsch bottles I got on Craigslist. The store is about 3 miles away, so easy to drop in for the little things.

I typically buy yeast from my LHBS because I have had previoys issues with shipping in the summer.

Grabbed 3 packs of yeast and some priming sugar.

The staff are great people but the owner is a bit of an ass so I don't go there often. With that being said he was at least polite the last time I went in. SWMBO and I were talking last night and I told her if I can pick up ingredients for my next batch there for at least close to what I pay online (shipping charge included) I'll start buying there again.

Personal feelings aside about the owner I would like to be able to support a local business if the cost is at least close to online. By close I'm figuring within 10% above what my order would cost from RiteBrew plus shipping.

If we brewers want a LHBS in the area, we need to support them with our wallets. I picked up hothead yeast a couple packets of T58, and ingredients for a big beer. The convenience of driving and picking up something right away instead of waiting for a delivery is something I’m grateful for, since I know for many it is just not possible.
Yesterday - I couldnt stand it any longer so I drove up to Huntsville to Pearly's Health Food store where BrewBama referred me to find a section dedicated to brewing supplies.
I knew I should not have gone without spousal supervision so I behaved myself . I bought a carboy peel and stick thermometer , a 10 pack of whirlfloc ,a small sealed pack of Saaz hop pellets, and a packet of Danstar Lallemand Munich Classic yeast. I had a good look around. It doesnt have a great volume of supplies but it does have a healthy variety of supplies should I ever need anything that I wouldnt need to order and then wait for shipping. A few of their items (cases of 12 oz bottles are $20) are high in price but the rest offset a shipping price and convenience. I'll be back to do some heavy shopping when I have a heavier wallet.

Munich malt, German Pils, Caramunich 2, Chocolate wheat, Magnum and Tettnanger hops.

Getting ready for a Munich Dunkel

1B45A9CF-6EF8-4155-9A52-67F695CCBD38.jpeg
Grist for a Dunkel Wiezenbock 2 packets of dry yeast, because I just like having backup yeast on hand.

Last edited:
Picked up a case of long neck bottles, a bag of sealing wax, a couple air locks and a multi wrench.

This was actually a money saver, because the shipping on a case of empties was nearly as much as the bottles. Of course, if I was better at drinking, ;) my bottles would only cost a nickel a piece.

I made a trek to MW yesterday. Stocked up on a bunch of dry yeast, as I'm going to focus on dry yeast brews for a while. Some more Notty, some US-05, S-04, and a Danstar Munich Wheat for a hefe.

Last edited:
My nearby shop carries Omega and Imperial, but the price is much higher than white labs and wyeast so dry packs are gaining more appeal for me. I have always kept some on hand after I started using liquid, and the packs are still viable long after the expiration date I have found.

My nearby shop carries Omega and Imperial, but the price is much higher than white labs and wyeast so dry packs are gaining more appeal for me. I have always kept some on hand after I started using liquid, and the packs are still viable long after the expiration date I have found.
My LHBS carries all brands except Wyeast. I'm leaning more towards dry yeasts also, hopefully more strains will be forthcoming. I was getting a lot of White Labs and Wyeast from Northern Brewer, but with the long shipping times, results are less than expected.

We'll, they didn't have the 570, so I subbed in WLP 028 Scottish, cuz I didn't have any, and I like a wee Scot now and then. The good news (fingers crossed) is they should open for regular business on Friday, if the governor doesnt squash it.

Decent day here today, spent the morning/early afternoon tilling the veggie garden and getting it ready, then scooted to the most local lhbs and picked up four ounces of Cascade needed for a SMASH I'm going to do Friday using locally sourced floor malted two row pale. Just me and the salesperson, both masked, feeling awkward but we got through it.

That's about the closest I've gotten to anyone since March 6, as I have a pretty decent brewing stock (I could have gotten by subbing Amarillo for the short ounces of Cascade), and The Spousal Unit has become the hunter/gatherer.

She has the masking thing down pat. I look like a bad clown act...

Cheers!

Good news! My LHBS is now open for regular hours, but only 5 customers at once. Way better than online ordering, because they have way more stuff in the store than is shown on their website.
Today I got 4 cases of 500ml bottles, a couple bags of crown caps, and a dozen hop socks.

2 bags of rahr 2-row, and enough specialty grains and yeast for about 6 months worth of batches...you could say I plan ahead.

Back