What did not come in the mail today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hopper

Reaction score
Anyone having problems getting ingredients lately? Seems my go to spots are either closed or completely out of necessities. First it was yeast, then base malts. I think the bakers are running low and encroaching on our ale supplies. Now hops are hit or miss. Anyone else having this problem right now? What are you doing to overcome the supply issues?

I placed an order at more beer and they seemed to have what I was looking for. I did get a notice that delivery date was May 15th tho. Not sure why it should take around 3 weeks to get delivered.

I placed an order at more beer and they seemed to have what I was looking for. I did get a notice that delivery date was May 15th tho. Not sure why it should take around 3 weeks to get delivered.
I contacted them and they were very responsive and polite, but told me there was a significant increase in demand and were very short staffed.

I've recently placed orders with MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, Brew Hardware, and Great Fermentations. While NB and MB said they were having some delays, these were very minor, everything moved just a few days slower than usual. GF hasn't sent a shipping notice yet about a week after ordering, but I think one of the items may have been back ordered even before the plague. Brew Hardware was as prompt as ever. I keep getting reassuring emails from AIH and William's saying it's business as usual. I just realized, just about the only place I really haven't put to the test in all of this is my local, where I usually get almost everything! Better think of something to pick up curbside and show some love. Frankly, I'm amazed that things are functioning as well as they are. I do think I've noticed I haven't been getting all the updates on order status I might have in the past -- a couple of things just appeared on the porch without warning. If these places are swamped, better they spend their time filling orders rather than sending emails -- same may apply to shippers.

USPS and to a lesser extent UPS and FedEx are definitely backlogged at this point. It has taken 2 weeks to get priority mail. 1 week from Detroit to my house, which is about 25 miles.

USPS and to a lesser extent UPS and FedEx are definitely backlogged at this point. It has taken 2 weeks to get priority mail. 1 week from Detroit to my house, which is about 25 miles.

I believe our mail is probably delivered out of the same post office and we are seeing the same. I had a prescription sent from the mail-order pharmacy that took 14 days to get here from Chicago. It was in Pontiac twice and New Boston once in between. The pharmacy ended up re-shipping UPS overnight. Delivery of letter type mail is running a day behind what the informed delivery site shows, Saturday's mail came yesterday, yesterday's today, and so on. Outbound doesn't see to be an issue. My daughter has been selling some clothes on Poshmark and the deliveries have been prompt. Sometimes multiple mail trucks come through twice

I haven't really seen issues with UPS, Fedex, or Amazon delivering on promised dates but admittedly we aren't exactly ordering much.

I got ingredients from farmhouse pretty fast. Ordered yeast from ABS but was held over weekend so yeast wouldn’t sit in hot warehouse over weekend. Otherwise was pretty fast. More beer...got ingredients fast first week of April. Ordered a couple parts from them the following week, hasn’t shipped yet. No status

I ordered from morebeer in late March and it got here in less than 24 hrs. Then another order on the 18th. To be fair, it said predicted ship was May 1, but I thought that was due to shipping. When I asked about it, they said it wasn’t scheduled to be picked until at least May 1. Definitely not ordering liquid yeast right now, but there was no dry yeast at the time so I place an order as soon as I saw some back in stock. I have to be patient as I know it coming from Pitt, CA and here in the Bay Area we have so many restrictions right now. I finally found some dry yeast from Northern Brewer and placed another order with them last week, and so far no word. I may be supporting my local breweries a little more than usual next month.

My damned keg orings from unnamed online homebrew shop. Ordered on 4/19, shipped on 4/24 and is for some reason delayed in transit without an ETA. It couldn't be more than a small envelope so WTF.

At this point they are really messing with my brewing rhythm, but no matter I love them anyway.

I have noticed a sharp bias wrt delivery latencies based on an apparent "class importance" metric.

For instance, I recently fixed a bunch of niggling appliance issues and every part ordered showed up within a few days, tops.
Otoh, The Spousal Unit's desktop wireless mouse (lost track how old it is) has been inching towards its demise, and Amazon quoted a 10 day delivery for a highly popular Logitech replacement. That's an item that under normal circumstances would show up in two days, worst case.

Not complaining, I'm good with it if more important stuff takes its place...

Cheers!

I guess I'm lucky. Our LHBS is taking phone/email orders for pickup 2x per week. They are usually very well stocked with malts, yeast and hops. However, the batch I most recently ordered that I made on Friday, they were out of Marris Otter, they said I'd have to wait till Monday :confused:. Then the truck showed up anyway right before they closed. They called me back : Come pick it up! Woohoo!!!

I ordered a couple of thermowells from China. I am expecting them to take a little while but not exactly sure where they are at the moment...
1588127189936.png

Google translate:
Apr 6, 2020 10:25am: Detroit, MI
Apr 16, 2020 9:22am: Lansing, MI
Apr 16, 2020 4:06pm: Lansing, MI
Apr 16, 2020 11:15pm: Detroit, MI

Finally got enough ingredients to make a batch or 2. Northern Brewer wasn’t offering free shipping right now, but they got what I ordered to me in about 8 days. Morebeer took about 22 days but shipped for free. I had tacked on a recipe kit, and I think that’s what may have held the shipment up. Actually still waiting on that. I think there has been a run on kits, at least in my area. Think I’ll just stick to looking up recipes here. Both did a very good job of communicating and I appreciate those that work there very much. I’m very excited about posting on the what came in the mail thread finally! Cheers!

I have noticed a sharp bias wrt delivery latencies based on an apparent "class importance" metric.

For instance, I recently fixed a bunch of niggling appliance issues and every part ordered showed up within a few days, tops.
Otoh, The Spousal Unit's desktop wireless mouse (lost track how old it is) has been inching towards its demise, and Amazon quoted a 10 day delivery for a highly popular Logitech replacement. That's an item that under normal circumstances would show up in two days, worst case.

Not complaining, I'm good with it if more important stuff takes its place...

Cheers!
I keep getting delivery windows 10 to 14 days out from Amazon and it still seems to show up in 3 days

Ordered a new Anvil Brew Bucket with cooling on Sunday. It shipped on Wednesday due here on Saturday. I ordered 2 kits and a wort chiller from boomchugalug.com (Jasper's Homebrew Supply), the wort chiller was holding things up. I emailed on Wednesday to find out what was going on. He told me on Thursday he would ship the kits that day and the wort chiller would come directly from his vendor since they were back-ordered. Everything has been pretty quick.

Anvil was free shipping, Jasper's Homebrew Supply was $7.99 flat rate.

Well it's still a crap shoot. I ordered new belts for my tractor a week ago, one was supposed to arrive last Saturday but has been pushed out to next Monday - with the other belt. So going on two weeks for those.

We also got a 14 day forecast for some masks that were supposed to arrive yesterday. We got a "Sorry About That" message last night instead, with no indication if the package had even shipped never mind a new delivery date prediction.

It did say if it doesn't arrive in another 10 days we could apply for a refund. Really magnanimous of them...

Cheers!

I had a recent order that projected a long off arrival, but got it in a few days. I think they are doing that (adding days) because delays could happen depending on the area, and possibly at their own warehouse if people call out sick. Just my thoughts and experience for this last order.

While there's lot of stuff with 5-7 day predictions on Amazon, there's a decent amount of stuff back to next-day here.

RiteBrew.com is still 2-3 days from order to arrival. They have become my favorite online store these days.

My LHBS was out of lager yeast when I placed my order last week; she told me she can't get anything direct from Fermentis right now. Fortunately I found a growler with some viable S23 in the fridge (maybe 2 months old) so I'm good to go. Otherwise she had everything I needed.

Here is my recent history:

Northern Brewer, 3/19 ordered 20# Malt, 2# hops delivered 4/1.
NB, 4/23 ordered 20# Malt, 1 Kit, 1# hops delivered 5/5
Morebeer, 4/13 ordered 35# Malt, 1# hops delivered 4/30. That surprised me. I live on Long Island in southern NY and one of Morebeers locations is in PA and I usually get things alot quicker.
Here is the real shocker: On 4/30 I ordered 50# of malt from Rite-Brew in Wisconsin. Three days later it was at my house. I'll certainly be giving them another look.

Here is my recent history:

Northern Brewer, 3/19 ordered 20# Malt, 2# hops delivered 4/1.
NB, 4/23 ordered 20# Malt, 1 Kit, 1# hops delivered 5/5
Morebeer, 4/13 ordered 35# Malt, 1# hops delivered 4/30. That surprised me. I live on Long Island in southern NY and one of Morebeers locations is in PA and I usually get things alot quicker.
Here is the real shocker: On 4/30 I ordered 50# of malt from Rite-Brew in Wisconsin. Three days later it was at my house. I'll certainly be giving them another look.
Seems like morebeer PA is having an easier go at this than the one on the west coast. I guess we call in sick more out here. But good to know on Rite-Brew. I’ll have to look them up.

I usually order from northern brewer. My last ingredient batch took a week longer than usual to get here (southern Indiana). Iorder my grains crushed as well, so that might delay things alittle more right now. I thought my hops rhizomes were originally supposed to arrive in mid April, but I just recieved them today. Another thread i started to ask about anyone else having delays getting rhizomes revealed that several suppliers are behind apparently. On the whole, I can't complain. Everything I've ordered has gotten here eventually.

I ordered from morebeer in late March and it got here in less than 24 hrs. Then another order on the 18th. To be fair, it said predicted ship was May 1, but I thought that was due to shipping. When I asked about it, they said it wasn’t scheduled to be picked until at least May 1. Definitely not ordering liquid yeast right now, but there was no dry yeast at the time so I place an order as soon as I saw some back in stock. I have to be patient as I know it coming from Pitt, CA and here in the Bay Area we have so many restrictions right now. I finally found some dry yeast from Northern Brewer and placed another order with them last week, and so far no word. I may be supporting my local breweries a little more than usual next month.
Have you tried Williams Brewing yet? They ship out of San Leandro AND have will call that is open i think.

Morebeer has a showroom in san leandro but it is closed. Concord is their main showroom... may be worth the 1 hour drive? (Guessing you live on peninsula?)

I used to live in east bay, and will still drive out to concord for their 15% off days (and make a trip to in laws... win-win ((kind of))

Have you tried Williams Brewing yet? They ship out of San Leandro AND have will call that is open i think.

Morebeer has a showroom in san leandro but it is closed. Concord is their main showroom... may be worth the 1 hour drive? (Guessing you live on peninsula?)

I used to live in east bay, and will still drive out to concord for their 15% off days (and make a trip to in laws... win-win ((kind of))
Good to know. I have heard of Williams but have not shopped there. I’m on the coastside of the peninsula. I really should make it up to Concord. Right now they are ticketing anyone parked more than 10 miles away from home. I’ve been trying my best to obey the orders, but if it last much longer, I will have to make such trips.

Good to know. I have heard of Williams but have not shopped there. I’m on the coastside of the peninsula. I really should make it up to Concord. Right now they are ticketing anyone parked more than 10 miles away from home. I’ve been trying my best to obey the orders, but if it last much longer, I will have to make such trips.
That Conciord showroom is the bomb. The feel of a lhbs with a huge website inventory. Great service and the beer case has some great singles. Always great odds and ends in their clearance section. (Another benefit of all the web returns).
Look for great deals on various Viking malts (pre covid at least).
My only gripe is their yeast always seems to be older. And not a lot of 1# hop selections.
Plus, you got a Costco right there, and an amazing bottle shop just down monument about a half mile.
Anyways... man did i hijack this thread. Sorry all.

Ordered supplies from Toronto Brewing on April 22. Just shipped it on May 11. They should of closed down until they can at least ship it in a timely manner. No more orders from them.

Yup, ordered from morebeer as well. All the items were in stock in California but it's still showing not picked yet . The last time I ordered it was on the 9th and I received it on the 11th

We got a package today only 1 day late!

I haven't ordered any brewing stuff. If AIH opens up for curbside pickup I'll probably do an order there to restock on grain and yeast and pick up some hop varieties outside my goto varieties I buy by the pound. Really not interested in mail ordering yeast if it might get stuck somewhere for days and it seems UPS and Fedex are a pretty big upcharge.

Got bit by an inexplicable Morebeer.com bug when I was informed that a 10 meter length of 5mm ID EVAbarrier tubing - which is still shown as in stock - has a quoted delivery time of 16 days.

Meanwhile in the last week I had a pound of cocoa nibs delivered from Illinois in 3 days, a whole boxload of PTC fittings from Californica in under a week, a pair of glass phone screen covers from NJ in two days, and it appears five pounds of hops will arrive from ritebrew in four days...

That ain't right, but whatever...

Cheers!

Just was notified my morebeer order has been shipped ! Of course I brewed on Wednesday so I had to swap out a different hop but oh well .

I've had good success with Great Fermentations throughout the pandemic. Both curbside pick up and delivery have been quick and accurate. Perhaps a day or 2 more than usual on average.

Back