What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fried rice made w/ leftovers
Love the cat picture.
Reminds me of one of our neighbors who puts out human food leftovers for the stray cat.
I'm surprised the cat eats whatever. Our boys wouldn't touch anything but unseasoned meat and sometimes they get a very small nibble of sharp cheddar.

Smoked ribs with fresh rosemary from my plant. I used some custom made dry rub overnight, and wrapped/finished then in Mongolian barbecue sauce.
PXL_20220515_174151917.MP.jpg
PXL_20220515_235026772.jpg

A 2.5" thick porterhouse. No pictures; you'll have to believe me. Salted a few hours in advance. Slow roasted on the kettle with a small hunk of hickory smoke wood. Basted in butter. Seared to finish at 135°F. Freshly cracked black pepper as each side comes off sizzling. Served with sauteed green beans in garlic and roasted carrots and red beets.

I had some dental surgery last week so haven't cooked much - did a delicious ribeye steak tonight though and boy did it taste better than the soup I've been eating! :)
Sorry for you and hope you are over it soon. I have had an inordinate amount of dental surgery, so I feel for you. It's awesome when you can get back to food you can actually chew!!

I too have been away from here for the last week mostly, but for far nicer reasons :) We bought a 41' 2007 Class A RV 1 week ago today, I am still actively employed for 30 more working day till I retire, so all my internet time has been spent on the new bus, and I literally have not been cooking much of anything! A machine this size requires a lot of learning :) So we are trying to get ready to actually travel, with all three golden doodles, in the near future. Lots of learning, lots of shopping, etc. It's just awesome :)

Those just look fantastic! Nicely done!
I appreciate it. I always thought the veggies had to be par-boiled first. prior to skewering to keep even with the meat. What I hadn't taken into account was that if you have large pieces of meat, the vegetables then get their due heat and cook well. And the meat can still turn out tender.
I was of the camp that wanted to give a guest a bite-sized piece of meat. Honestly though, that's what a steak knife is for.

I appreciate it. I always thought the veggies had to be par-boiled first. prior to skewering to keep even with the meat. What I hadn't taken into account was that if you have large pieces of meat, the vegetables then get their due heat and cook well. And the meat can still turn out tender.
I was of the camp that wanted to give a guest a bite-sized piece of meat. Honestly though, that's what a steak knife is for.
Yeah, I think the veggies just help flavor the meat and if they are tasty then great! If I am serious about the veggies I will skewer and cook them separately, but even then I will put some onion and green pepper or poblano between the pieces of meat :)

Got a new pressure canner. I made a batch of Bolognese sauce, a LOT of it. Canned it in this awesome beast of a thing. All American does not f around, they make a solid canner.
One hell of a canner. Got myself an old wards from thrift store for 5$. Put new pressure gage and weighted system.

Actually kinda a brag reply. This purchase I felt like I was stealing the thing

Attachments

• KIMG0291.JPG
    KIMG0291.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Got a new pressure canner. I made a batch of Bolognese sauce, a LOT of it. Canned it in this awesome beast of a thing. All American does not f around, they make a solid canner.

View attachment 769372

View attachment 769373
That's just amazing Andrew!! Super high coolness factor! I limp along with the old Presto weighted thing, but then I have not pressure canned much at all.

That's just amazing Andrew!! Super high coolness factor! I limp along with the old Presto weighted thing, but then I have not pressure canned much at all.

I also have a presto, but only use it for pressure cooking - it doesn't get up to 15psi which is what I really need for canning meats.

My lovely wife surprised me with a trip to the meat shop.
I scored four, eight-ounce Waygu burgers, a 12oz 18 oz prime rib and a bunch of Waygu hotdogs. I need to be honest and state the Waygu hotdogs aren't that special. They sound like it, but I didn't find that to be the case. The burgers and steaks from this place (Fairway Packing Co in Detroit) are top-notch.
Edit: It was also a shopping trip that I didn't ask about the price. It would be slightly painful.

Attachments

• meat.jpg
    meat.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
E85E3BE6-DF90-41A3-89A5-A6D76064FEC4.jpeg
Those of you who have seen my spent grain bread recipe know it’s for a double batch (because of the size of my KA stand mixer) So this is the rest of the dough baked pretzel style with sesame seeds instead of salt. Memorial Day burgers on pretzel buns or maybe shaved steak sammies today.

DANG, Jefe, that picture made me want to go get a rack of lamb out of the freezer!

Merry, that ALMOST makes me want to throw keto out the window and gobble some of those up.

Good news here is that my "tooth hole" is healed enough to eat whatever I want. Tonight will be country-style pork ribs cooked on the Weber gas grill with a SF sauce at the end; I made a vat of guacamole two days ago because I had five avocados dead ripe, and we still have some roasted poblano peppers. Will see if I can remember to take a plated picture....

DANG, Jefe, that picture made me want to go get a rack of lamb out of the freezer!

Merry, that ALMOST makes me want to throw keto out the window and gobble some of those up.

Good news here is that my "tooth hole" is healed enough to eat whatever I want. Tonight will be country-style pork ribs cooked on the Weber gas grill with a SF sauce at the end; I made a vat of guacamole two days ago because I had five avocados dead ripe, and we still have some roasted poblano peppers. Will see if I can remember to take a plated picture....
LOL, thanks! I’m glad you are feeling better.

You are right these things are built like a tank. I have the 930 version, bought it a while ago and when fully loaded it weights a lot. I found after a while the locking knobs were getting hard to turn due to possibly many heat cycles and disimilar metal corrosion. I put a dab of high heat food grade antisieze on the threads and never had a problem since. This happened after canning approx 200 batches of stuff. Other than that all original parts and still going strong!!

Not cooked yet. The grass fed chuck from my mom to go brisket style tomorrow. Seasoned and chilling in the bait fridge.
Well pulled to soon at 200deg. Still tender but connective tissue. Took longer battling drizzle and rain and couldn't wait as the biscuits and gravy from morning was wearing off.

Attachments

• KIMG0390.JPG
    KIMG0390.JPG
    725.1 KB · Views: 0
I still have trouble remembering to take pictures of plated food but we made some yummy keto-friendly tostadas last night!

However I DID remember to take a picture of the hamburger/sandwich rolls I made at least!

Attachments

• 9F60B0CC-7C9D-4131-9806-FD0E3D4BC2DF.jpeg
    9F60B0CC-7C9D-4131-9806-FD0E3D4BC2DF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back