What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Costco rotisserie chicken with onions, tomatoes, garlic and thyme from the garden. Pretty simple; pretty tasty.
PXL_20210518_011147526.PORTRAIT.jpg

Costco rotisserie chicken with onions, tomatoes, garlic and thyme from the garden. Pretty simple; pretty tasty.
View attachment 729460
I swear I responded to this yesterday. Wonder what happened to that response? I commented that along with pretty simple and pretty tasty it was just plain Pretty!

I did this Gumbeaux Roux in 18 minutes on the sear grill attachment to my smoker and did not burn it!!! A new record for me!!! And the resulting gumbo was awesome as always :)
IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

Kid surprised us Saturday morning so I made this frittata with what I had on hand. Bacon, cheddar, a medley of grape tomatoes, and a shallot sauteed with the the bacon. It turned out great. Never done a frittata before, and now that I know how simple they are I will do the more often (and more deliberately!).
IMG_6448.jpg

Last, but not least, banana bread again. Made two loaves and split the other one between the kids. Turned out fantastic and not nearly as overdone as it looks in the crappy picture, but I either need to cook hotter of colder to get the center and the outside to finish at the same time. It looked done but center was still mush and I cooked hotter this time. Figure I will try cooler next time unless anybody has any other advice.
IMG_6467.jpg

Carrot cake for a work celebration tomorrow. Was a bit worried about how thin the layers were going into the oven but it worked really well. Raisins will be controversial I'm sure.

Mrs Pkrd will be getting some more serious cake decorating paraphenalia for Christmas.
https://tasty.co/recipe/carrot-cake
IMG_8240.jpeg
IMG_8239.jpeg

Gumbo drool!!

I just made a tritip (leftovers pictured below)
View attachment 730211
I went by Costco yesterday specifically because I thought I remembered seeing tritip available there, but alas there were none, so I ended up doing NY strips last night. I've got a good butcher close by though, so I will see if I can pick up one from them.

Recipe calls for 55 minutes at 350 F or until toothpick comes out clear. It's always really tasty, it just seems that the outside cooks much faster than the inside.
You could see if 325 works better, it will likely take longer. Another option could be to reduce the sugar a little. Just some thoughts... baking is science, but it isn’t inflexible.

Yesterday we had cheeseburgers on everything brioche buns, potato salad and corn on the cob. I thought I snapped a picture but apparently not. Rotisserie chicken is on deck for dinner tonight.

Did tomato and basil soup again with toasted cheese sandwiches. Used Campari tomatoes from Costco which are delicious right now, by the way, and San Marzano for the canned portion.
IMG_6490.jpg

The tried something new for dinner Saturday. Fettuccine Alfredo from scratch with a Caprese Salad. Fresh fettuccine is just awesome, and it's so simple to make I don't know why I ever buy it. Salad is a mix of Campari and little Wild Wonder tomato mixture, both also from Costco.

IMG_6497.jpg
IMG_6495.jpg

Huevos con chorizo

Brown 1lb fresh chorizo and remove all but about 2 tbs of the fat. Add the onion and collards. Cook until softened.
h36l34A.jpg

Add 6 scrambled eggs mixed with a couple TBS of cream.
M8fss3t.jpg

When its almost fully cooked top with just a little Mexi cheese. Cover and turn off the heat until the cheese is melted. The eggs will continue cooking but wont burn.
JRx717k.jpg

I dont always use Reaper sauce on my scrambled eggs with chorizo, but when i do its Lola's Reaper Sauce. :D
lj7xRxP.jpg

NY State Fair sauce?
Ewww, no. Lupo's spiedie marinade is the one and only for me, although I do make my own occasionally.
https://www.spiedies.com/They've been in business for around 70 years. I like their marinade the best, I grew up on that and their store made Italian sausage....also my favorite. We used to live a block away from their original market. I have memories of walking there with my grandmother. Ahh the good old days.

Ewww, no. Lupo's spiedie marinade is the one and only for me, although I do make my own occasionally.
https://www.spiedies.com/They've been in business for around 70 years. I like their marinade the best, I grew up on that and their store made Italian sausage....also my favorite. We used to live a block away from their original market. I have memories of walking there with my grandmother. Ahh the good old days.

Gonna have to check them out. I love the Chiavettas marinade, too, and I can at least get that on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Chiavettas-Barbecue-Marinade-32-oz/dp/B001UKBDGY

Gonna have to check them out. I love the Chiavettas marinade, too, and I can at least get that on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Chiavettas-Barbecue-Marinade-32-oz/dp/B001UKBDGY
I've not had that, I may have to check it out.

We order the Lupos marinade online and also the Anchor Bar wing sauce so we always have some of each stashed away.

If you're interested I can pm you a Lupo's clone recipe that's fairly close to the original. I make that when I've forgotten to reorder in time. LOL.

I've not had that, I may have to check it out.

We order the Lupos marinade online and also the Anchor Bar wing sauce so we always have some of each stashed away.

If you're interested I can pm you a Lupo's clone recipe that's fairly close to the original. I make that when I've forgotten to reorder in time. LOL.

Fire away, at your leisure.

Latest posts

Back