What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a couple of shoulder clod roasts for $2/lb. It’s not a cut I’m familiar with, but for that price I can experiment a bit! I put the first one in the sous vide at 140F for 23 hours. It was good but had a couple of dry spots and was almost too tender - almost mealy. So today I did the other one at 138F for 23 hours. Perfect! Sous vide may not be optimal for an expensive cut like a Rib Eye, but it is awesome for turning a cheap cut with zero marbling into a piece that I would be happy with in a restaurant.

I had to convince my oldest that after 23 hours it was thoroughly cooked even if it was still pink but she seemed to decide it was OK.

Last edited:
75° today
First sun roast of the year
Awesomeness
IMG_20210327_175415_169.jpg

PXL_20210328_012247731.jpg

PXL_20210328_015524358.jpg

Im going to see if this works ok as a meatloaf. Its a spinoff of the WoksforLife Lion head meatball recipe. I just upscaled it and added some minced shallot.
2 pounds 80/20 ground chuck
1 pound 80/20 ground pork
About 3 golf ball sized shallots minced
1 slice ginger (20g, minced)
3 scallion (minced)
3 large egg
9 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
3 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
3 tablespoon light soy sauce
3 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
3.5 ounces water chestnuts minced

Mix all that up and put it in a bread pan to rest for an hour or so at room temp before baking at 350F. I may not bake it in the bread pan. Just use it for shaping. Let the drippings drain and save some of it for the sauce.

Love it too. I normally make it with a brown onion and/or mushroom gravy with mashed taters. Ive made a Korean themed meatloaf before with a sweet gochujang glaze that was pretty good. Reminded me of the filling in pork kimchi dumplings.

I got a package of the THICKEST-CUT loin lamb chops at Costco this week - marinated them Greek-style and then put them in the air fryer at 400* til they were 132* in the center. MAN they were good. Didn't think to take a picture though. Also had sliced avocado with feta cheese, Kalamata olive oil and a drizzle of Balsamic. KOTC was smacking his lips!

I love making kimchi. I even got my brother and father addicted to it but we always loved homemade kraut and spicy foods.

We recently started watching Gina's videos on YouTube. "Italian Grandma makes ________" --insert a whole lot of different Italian dishes in the blank. I dishonored her recipe for gnocchi by using wheat flour instead of what she said to use, though it was ground finely. I would have used what she recommended had it been in the house, but I was too excited to use the fork to make the design, like she did, to go get some from Kroger (1.5 miles and 5 minutes away). This is tray one of one and a half trays in total.
raw gnocchi.jpg

I'm always happy when a recipe works. I, because of zero knowledge of potato pasta (?), think it's going to disinegrate in the boiling water
Finished gnocchi.jpg

Last edited:
No baking but I did manage 6 perfect coffees in a row on Sunday.
Those are nice. I figured out how that's done (not as artistically as yours) on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld.

Well the wife and I decided to splurge with some of our recently acquired stim-u-bucks. We both figure that both the price of beef is going to go up because inflation IS a real thing, and availability might go way down in the future. So I ordered one of these for this years Christmas dinner well in advance, thanks be to the deep freezer. I've had their 50 and 45 day dry aged roasts for Christmas dinner several years in a row and this is the first time I've ever seen 60 day dry aged - needless to say I couldn't resist.

1617906355117.png

https://shop.lafrieda.com/products/...roast-boned-and-tied-1?variant=32864670646319

Simple salsa. Its more or less the recipe from Ro-Tels site which turns out pretty good too.
https://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Zesty-Fire-Roasted-Tomato-Salsa-7709?brand=23
Upscaled and my changes
2 Cans of the Ro-tel diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
1 Can of the Ro-tel diced tomatoes with green chiles (No salt added)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbs fresh lime juice
3 tbs finely chopped cilantro
2 Jalapenos diced
3 Stalks of celery diced fine
About half a medium yellow or red onion diced
2 tbs of rocoto paste (optional) if you like a bit more heat

Drain the cans of maters though a fine strainer and add to a food processor with the lime juice, sugar and cumin. Pulse it until its as thin or chunky as you like.
Dump that into a large mixing bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Let it rest a couple hours in the fridge for the flavors to meld.
uwzDrUS.jpg

0vV5s1w.jpg

Last edited:
I made some blackeyed peas in the instant pot yesterday. Start by pressure cooking a nice sized piece of smoked hock in 50/50 chicken broth/water (about 2 quarts) for 35min then a natural release. Shred the meat off when cool enough and add it (with bone) back to the stock. Add a little over a lb of blackeyed peas and around a pound of cubed fried pork steak. Pressure cook again for 12min and a natural release. Turn the "keep warm" function on low for another 30min after the pressure releases.

These were stellar blackeyed peas with just Kirkand 21 spice, half a yellow onion and 4 stalks of celery. Most of the liquid was absorbed and will thicken a bit after you stir it all up.

For the smoked hock. It was about a pound. I can weigh the other one later for a better guess.
2- 14.5oz cans of Swanson reduced sodium chicken broth. (its not very low really if watching sodium)
5 Cups water
2 Tbs dehydrated onion flakes
1.5 Tbs Kirkland 21 spice
2 Tsp Garlic powder
Pressure cook on high for 35min and a natural release. While its cooling off prep and fry your pork, onion and celery. This recipe was almost at the max line on the Instant Pot from Costco which is a 6qt.

Last edited:
Last night dinner..... Baked spaghetti squash pulled from the shell, cooked ground turkey tossed in Trader Joes Harvest Vegetable Pasta Sauce, fresh spinach, ricotta cheese, shredded parm cheese, salt, pepper, garlic all mixed together than put back in the spag squash shell topped with fresh mozzarella cheese baked for 20 minutes and then under broiler for 5 minutes. Hmm hmm good.

Spag Squash.jpg

Wife and I both enjoyed the sausage. This was certainly one of the best hot dogs that I've had, but the sausage was better. Simple; perfect.
@pshankstar

Ps: yes, the rolls were too long. I ripped the ends off so it worked out.

View attachment 725713
I’m glad you and the wife enjoyed the Zweigle hots (or hot dogs)! It’s the only brand we buy & it supports local! Plus I grew up eating them too.

Last edited:
I’m glad you an the wife enjoyed the Zweigle hots (or hot dogs)! It’s the only brand we buy & it supports local! Plus I grew up eating them too.

I should've fired up the grill, but it was cold, breezy, and I was lazy. They were still awesome... My lunch tomorrow, too.

The salt potatoes hit the pot this weekend I think!! Drool

Back