What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been buying spices I can’t find locally from Spice House now. Penzey’s just irritated me. I think they may be owned by the same company, but Penzey’s is in your face political and Spice House is not.

Penzey’s and Spice House are both members of the Penney family but that’s where the similarity ends. They are diametrically opposed “in that way” - I got “those emails” from Penzey’s and that’s when I quit buying from them. Found out Spice House was the sibling who had a completely opposite view of things so have been buying from them ever since!

All these pictures are making my mouth water!!

886FCF87-8356-479F-8368-C932195FF0CF.jpeg
Grilled shrimps

I’ve been buying spices I can’t find locally from Spice House now. Penzey’s just irritated me. I think they may be owned by the same company, but Penzey’s is in your face political and Spice House is not.

My wife figured out that 'Spice House' is owned by Penzey's sister, she inherited the company from her father/family and she's not as much of a moron as her brother. She actually likes to, you know, actually sell stuff, go figure... and not limit her customers to only people that share her political views. Her brother, on the other hand, not so much. I haven't bought anything from there yet and we do limit our purchases from her brother.

Again, sorry that there aren't any pics for this post. This is a recipe for a marinade for both lamb and chicken kabobs that we like to use frequently. For the lamb kabobs, I will buy a boneless leg of lamb, trim off the fat and connective tissue and cut it into kabob size cubes / chunks. It works well if you can marinate the meat for 4 - 6 hours or longer if desired. It is also excellent on shrimp which I marinate for usually only 2-4 hours. It's very simple but sometimes simple is really good.

Lamb or Chicken Kabob Marinade

- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 3 Tbs minced/crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbs dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (I don't include the salt and pepper if marinating shrimp)

OOooo been waiting - will have to venture into Fry's and see if they have any in stock yet! Our favorite Chile for general use, fermenting, and just enjoying. We buy pounds of them and roast them off like you are doing on the grill, skin, and freeze. I have ONE left in the freezer that I've been hoarding!

I threw together some tacos tonight chicken and ground beef leftover from earlier this week. Nice and easy while I was also putting together a rose’ cider. Steeped grape skins from grapes that I juiced ( yeah that was fun) for a couple hours. I think it will have some nice color for the effort.

I gave my new Inkbird Sous Vide it's first dinner and it couldn't have turned out any better. I seasoned and vacuum packed the chicken breasts on Monday. Yesterday my 14yo was home for 'school' so I walked her thru starting the chicken over the phone. They cooked at 150F until I got home, about 5 hours later, when I browned them for 2 minutes outside on a smoking hot cast iron grill. Put them on ice while we made the rest of the salad.
IMG_2669.jpg

My 14yo hadn't been looking forward to dinner when she found out we were having chicken (again!) but after she tried it she said, "That is not the chicken I was expecting. We could eat like that every night!". My wife had to work (and eat) late, but said that if I had put the salad in a to-go container, she totally would have believed it came from a good restaurant.

BBQ pork chops with black eye peas. Deb made a nice salad with small mozzarella balls. The chops were dry but the salad was great. I think they were just a bad cut. I'll blame it on the dog.
IMG_20200820_183712.jpg

splitpeamuffin.jpg
withcheese.jpg

@grampamark this is how i serve your peas and gluten, unfortanatly my griddle was sticking....and my picture sucks, but that is a split pea english muffin....with cheddar sauce......(i added some ham bullion to the blender when i was mixing up the gluten and pea flour too....and yeast)

Back