What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EA2BAC84-A65F-41A8-A530-58E2D1DFDD3D.jpeg
And the after

Wow some of the best grilled chicken I’ve ever made. Super crispy skin, juicy and very flavorful. Used a premium grade young chicken since it was on a steep discount and it was much better than any chicken I’ve eaten recently.

IMG_1069.jpg

Wife thought it was terrible and left 90% of hers on the plate. Not sure what her problem is tonight.

Pasta con pesto alla Trapanese a.k.a. pasta with Trapanese pesto sauce.

-high quality olive oil, quite a bit
-fresh basil leaves (a full handful or so)
-almonds 40-80g (remove hulls by hand after treatment with hot water, then toast in an oven at 180°C until golden, shake 'em a bit during toasting to get even color)
-cherry tomatoes (they contain less seeds & water than the large ones but you can use any tomatos & just remove seeds & the watery stuff)
-fresh garlic according to taste
-sea salt
-parmesan or equivalent hard Italian cheese

-pasta al dente, preferably "penne" type but could be something else. Today I used Italian penne that contained 30% chick pea flour

Put toasted almonds, basil leaves, some olive oil, sea salt, garlic and some parmesan in a suitable bowl, then crush and mix them with an immersion blender to form a pesto. Cut tomatos into small cubes (you could even use immersion blender briefly). Then just mix fresh tomatos with the pesto and mix everything with freshly cooked pasta. Grate some parmesan on top. Serve with a good Barbera d'Asti or equivalent refreshing and acidic Italian red wine.

If you crush and mix everything very well, it won't necessarily look so tasty, but it is going to taste great anyway. Toasted almonds can actually make it a very "meaty" dish (I mean taste wise, but almonds are also rich in protein and other nutrients). If you drop the cheese, it can be a nice dish for vegans as well.

Last edited:
Guess my thermometer is out of calibration. Pulled it at 120F and it was more like 160F. Not a dab of pink in the whole thing. Totally ruined that $35 steak. :mad:

Learn to gauge ‘doneness’ by feel. Use the inside of your forearm as a gauge. Press down by your wrist. That’s what well done feels like, two inches or so below the elbow bend is rare. In between is in between. It really works. The only pros who use thermometers are straight from cooking school.

I would have cried!! Sorry that happened!

My wife told me that our 5 year old told her “daddy said the fock word”.

Yes son, he did, many times, but it was the proper context for using it.

Oh well. The massive amount of fat rendered so much it was still super juicy.

Learn to gauge ‘doneness’ by feel. Use the inside of your forearm as a gauge. Press down by your wrist. That’s what well done feels like, two inches or so below the elbow bend is rare. In between is in between. It really works. The only pros who use thermometers are straight from cooking school.

I was taught to use the muscle that's between your thumb and wrist; the big one. As you touch fingers to your thumb you'll notice how firmer that muscle gets as you get towards your pinky. Medium is thumb to index, and everything gets worse as you progress :)

Guess my thermometer is out of calibration. Pulled it at 120F and it was more like 160F. Not a dab of pink in the whole thing. Totally ruined that $35 steak. :mad:

schematix - I highly recommend a Thermapen. Not exactly cheap but extremely accurate. I have one (love that thing and use it all the time). I also just bought the Thermoworks 'Smoke' for smoking ribs and such on my Weber kettle grill, works great, very happy I bought it.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

Some peeps use a heat insulated temp prob, (my dad did otherwise it was always burnt offerings, which is why I learned to grill at 14) and it means a thick steak or roast doesn't need babysitting. Testing the amount of "give" a protein has is what works for me. Others swear by 5 minutes per side on a screaming hot grill to achieve a perfect medium rare on a normal thickness of steak. @schematix glad it was still juicy and edible, though over cooked.

I have several thermopens and they are great for spot checks. I 100% trust those. However this was a large chunk of meat so I used my remote dual probe sensor. I don’t think the probe wires are adequately protected from heat. Even in indirect heat they fail rather quickly. It had been working well for a few years so didn’t expect it to fail and still report reasonable temps.

Frito Pie Casserole. Didn't get a picture, but I tried the recipe from "Kevin is Cooking". Four simple ingredients, about 30 minutes, less than $10, and ended up with a 9 by 13 casserole dish of comfort food that four of us consumed in one sitting. (OK, five ingredients: I added a sprinkling of cumin)

Last edited:
Back