What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked chicken and corn on the cob brushed with Italian dressing

image.jpg

The chicken taco recipe from America's Test Kitchen is a keeper! Turned out fantastic despite no grill being involved, much to my surprise! I will definitely be doing it again!

Lots of smoke. Actually got 2 one going in charcoal side box and one in electric. experiment

I smoked a 13lb packer brisket for Memorial Day, and it turned out great. Just a few unsolicited tips -

1. Get it trimmed and dry brine 24-48 hours in advance
  2. Rub it down at least 2 hours ahead of time and allow to come to room temp
  3. Smoke either low & slow (225F for about 10-12 hrs) or hot & fast (300+ for 6 hrs)
  4. When it hits internal temp of 160F, tightly wrap in double foil layer
  5. When it hits internal temp of 203F, it is done
  6. Rest in the foil wrapped in towels placed in a cooler for 2-3 hrs (or a 170F oven)
  7. Slice against the grain

Used up the last of SWMBO's excellent homemade pesto made from homegrown basil. She makes a huge batch of pesto at the end of the growing season, then freezes it in mini-muffin tins so we get these little "pucks" of pesto.

Boil some pasta, drain it, and toss in a couple pucks, which melt instantly. Stir it up, top with sauteed zucchini and tomatoes (or whatever leftover veggies are in the fridge) and you've got a dynamite quick easy weeknight dinner.

Gonna shoot for Korean Beef Tacos Manana... Marinate the beef in the usually, but will mince some kimchi to add. Grill, then add some chopped cabbage with a celantro-lime cream... Pics to follow. This will be a first adventure.

I wonder if a fermentation box would work for a slow rise on pizza dough? And what temp would be best? Hmmm.

I guess I was a little vague on the 'slow rise'.
I make my dough a few days in advance of making the pizza. I first make the dough and let it rise at room temp for a few hours. I then divide the dough into 12 ounce balls and put them into round, medium sized Tupperware. I put those into a 40 degree fridge for 24-36 hours. (I've gone longer, but the dough is very hard to work with.) A few hours before making the pizza I take the dough out of the fridge and keep it at room temp.

Also, I never roll out the dough, work it too hard, or stretch it too much. I gently stretch it by hand and place it on my peel.

Cheers!

I did not cook tonight. Well, I grilled some burgers and sausages, but did not really cook. I did however make a great deal of progress building a coffee table height base for my Chili's table top that my daughter found and gave me for Father's Day! It's upside down in a test fit. I'll glue it all up in the morning.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465702565.923026.jpg

Back