What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've come to the point where I pan sear/fry all my fish. I'll even have the grill going cooking other meats but I still do the fish in a pan. It either falls apart on the grill or all the nice charring comes off and sticks to the grill when you flip it so I just gave up on the grill.
A screaming hot cast iron, salt n pepper, and a high temp oil is all I do. And of course a sauce done in another pan, balsamic reduction or herb/wine butter sauce.

My MIL was born in Veracruz and I really like fish cooked in the Verscruz style. Huachinango a la Veracruzana which I have eaten many times but never cooked. I also like fish en papillote which I make a few times a year changing up the veg depending on whats in season.

@sablesurfer
I just wrote this huge response that got deleted so this will be not as good. Got the old you don't have permission to access this page. Damn. I love the idea of the fry/sear. God that sounds good. I wonder if your problem with that red snapper was its freshness I could be wrong. I wish I ate more fish too long way from Colorado to the ocean. Fish tacos , by the time you add the mango lime cilantro sauce or whatever and the avocado and cabbage and corn tortilla it's hard to taste the fish tilapia is perfect for that. Have you made fish and chips the traditional batter is beer and flour. Try breading it with something like panco and frying it. Make a gumbo or a stew with shrimp and fish. In high school my pre wrestling meal was red snapper and spaghetti. On chef ming the other day he steamed it in a bamboo basket on top of lemons then heated up olive oil tell it was smoking and spooned it over the fish to flash finish it. Thick cuts of fish like salmon are freaking amazing when smoked. I mean awesome. Be sure to keep plenty of lemons around when you cook fish they help the flavor. Also bunch of tartar sauce wouldn't hurt things. There are some amazing Cooks on this website and they will no doubt have more and better advice. I like breaded fried fish with rice and peas. Many cultures eat fish cooked in lime juice called ceviche. Here in Denver the Mexicans eat ceviche with crackers or tortilla chips and it's good. The spice dill will give your fish some life. On the grill baste it with butter and season well. Most fish sucks when it's overcooked so treated delicately.

My smoker sucks. The element I tried using isn't hot enough to COOK ribs, and I don't have it set up to really smoke much either. Am thinking about hitting up Craigslist to find someone's unused smoker.

You can't go wrong with a Weber Smokey Mountain. I have several smokers, large and small, but I am always pleased when I cook on my WSM. Easy to use and very stable temps.

-Mike

You can't go wrong with a Weber Smokey Mountain. I have several smokers, large and small, but I am always pleased when I cook on my WSM. Easy to use and very stable temps.

-Mike

Me too. But I've been using a controller for a while, and once you have one of those, it's taking candy from a baby easy.

86#'s of food at the race track over 3 days...while still running two race stints (1.5 hours each) and repairing my and helping repair others cars. I hurt everywhere but it is that good kind of pain. I realized I still have not lost my organization skills but I have not learned proper pacing when bulk cooking on charcoal and tiny propane stoves. I also learned 3 gallons of frozen chili does not thaw even in two days...sitting outside (no cooler) in April Michigan weather.

I hate (as a rule) grilling/barbeque when I have a good kitchen to cook in but there is something just right about the smell of abused oil and gasoline mixed with char-grilled veggie skewers, garlic smashed potatoes and "steaklets".

Passover meal, pictured potato keugel a potato cake, chametz a yam potato prune chuck roast, chicken and rice that went with these very red mushroomy all spicey meatballs my aunt has made my whole life, classic dessert ring jells chocolate rasberry gel filled scoobey snacks, chopped liver-a pate? of fried liver onions and eggs. Matzah the unlevened bread. C. Liver doesn't look appetizing but I can assure it is stupid good

Not pictured lamb and peas syrian spiced my aunt again, more gel filled candy, macaroons desert of coconut and choclate, s...ty red wine, gefilte fish white fish appetizer

View attachment 1461635745417.jpg

View attachment 1461635755974.jpg

View attachment 1461636140768.jpg

View attachment 1461636236553.jpg

-Mike

I'd like a "nice" smoker, but I can't see paying that much with all the other stuff I got going on.

I found an upgraded version of my electric smoker for $50 on Craigslist.

And I think I'll try upgrading mine to charcoal and see how that works out. It probably won't take much to seal it up and make put in some venting.

I'd like a "nice" smoker, but I can't see paying that much with all the other stuff I got going on.

I found an upgraded version of my electric smoker for $50 on Craigslist.

And I think I'll try upgrading mine to charcoal and see how that works out. It probably won't take much to seal it up and make put in some venting.

The advantage of the WSM is that you don't need to upgrade it, modify it, or replace it.

I chose to the spend the money upfront once, rather than buying a cheaper smoker, buying modification parts, buying a new cheap snoker, buying modification parts, etc. ;)

Anyone here cook fish?

I stuffed with some herbs and slices of grapefruit, salt and pepper on outside, tied it up and sprinkled (well more like poured) olive oil over it. After the grill had cooked up two chickens and a pork loin, the fish went onto the grill. They seemed to take a long time to cook (putting this in here in case it is relevant) and first turn happed at around 10 min. Then easily another 10 before the skin started to burst/crisp.

The fish was, well, cooked very badly. It was mushy with no texture, but it was cooked white. You could pull pieces off with your fingers and they looked ok, nice white color, but bleh they were mushy and flavorless when eaten. What with the texture and that the bones reminded me of the other reason I stopped fishing my own food as a boyscout, I couldn't finish my meal.

Was it me? Or is that really what red snapper on a grill is like?

Red snapper is a "tender" fish. Though I wouldn't like it "mushy" cooking whole fish takes a bit more time, unless you deeply score the sides, essentially making smaller pieces for cooking. Perhaps some salmon would be more suitable for you. Wild sockeye and coho salmon are less fatty than farm raised ( which aren't actually a healthy addition to one's diet) the coho I like to poach, and it turns out tender and flakey. Tilapia is a crap fish... Really they are often dumped into ponds where salmon were grown and they eat the salmon excrement. In the wild, they would eat hippopotamus dung. Yummy right? Tuna steaks, Mahi are good too. But tuna is one of those in trouble if you care about sustainability. Sorry I've rambled, and hope I've offered some encouragement to sample more things like haddock nice meaty fillets not too fishy when fresh. :D

I grilled Cornish game hens this weekend. Yup, I brined them in a simple salt and sugar brine for a couple hours, then set up the Weber kettle for indirect cooking and let them sit until done. Darn tasty, and surprisingly forgiving for little things, too. One of them was spot on 160 in the breast and 170+ in the thigh - the other one was a little above that, so I gave SWMBO the good one and I took the slightly overdone one, which was perfect, BTW. Threw some carrots on the grill, and SWMBO made some nice herby slightly spicy bread dressing.

Next day, all of the leftover dressing and carrots got poured together with the leftover bits of hen, a can of corn, and some canned (I know, I know) gravy for some killer leftover comfort food.

The advantage of the WSM is that you don't need to upgrade it, modify it, or replace it.

I chose to the spend the money upfront once, rather than buying a cheaper smoker, buying modification parts, buying a new cheap snoker, buying modification parts, etc. ;)

Unfortunately unlike my smoker you can't just plug it in and forget it either. And it's $150 less and it doesn't require any money in charcoal. I haven't charcoal smoke since I got my electric and I smoke like about every weekend but different folks Different Strokes the Masterbuilt 30 and Weber Smokey are the way to go.

Anyone here cook fish? I messed up and not sure where. The GF been trying to get fish onto our menu, but damn if talapia doesn't taste like dirt and most other stuff just rubbery. (And sushi just too damn expensive for more than once a year...lol)

So, Costco had some red snapper that looked like everything they tell you on cooking shows. Clear eyes, shiny scales, colorful undamaged fines. I figured I'd give it a go since snapper should be a nice clean white fish.

(I did NOT know that they were still scaley, haven't descaled a fish since boy scouts when I gave that up as a bad idea. Scales in hair, ears, shirt, yard, etc.)

I stuffed with some herbs and slices of grapefruit, salt and pepper on outside, tied it up and sprinkled (well more like poured) olive oil over it. After the grill had cooked up two chickens and a pork loin, the fish went onto the grill. They seemed to take a long time to cook (putting this in here in case it is relevant) and first turn happed at around 10 min. Then easily another 10 before the skin started to burst/crisp.

The fish was, well, cooked very badly. It was mushy with no texture, but it was cooked white. You could pull pieces off with your fingers and they looked ok, nice white color, but bleh they were mushy and flavorless when eaten. What with the texture and that the bones reminded me of the other reason I stopped fishing my own food as a boyscout, I couldn't finish my meal.

Was it me? Or is that really what red snapper on a grill is like?

I take a less-is-more approach with fish. Get fresh, good quality fish, add a little olive oil, a little kosher salt, and grill until done. A little lemon or herbs in the cavity goes a long way - I usually skip it. Pull when it's 130 (Thermapen is a lifesaver here.) IMHO, fish is perfect when it's not quite flaky. If you hate the bones and you're not quite confident in your boning skills (stop snickering) most good grocery stores and fish shops will do it for you and do a great job of it.

And things like catfish, tilapia, swai, etc. are going to be pretty soft. Meaty fish are your mahi-mahi, swordfish, shark, tuna. Salmon is an all-around winner, though. Tasty, meaty, pretty forgiving and usually a good price. Steelhead and Rainbow trout are awesome too.

ETA: I have a never-fail technique for grilled skin-on salmon fillets, if you'd like it.

Wild sockeye and coho salmon are less fatty than farm raised ( which aren't actually a healthy addition to one's diet) the coho I like to poach, and it turns out tender and flakey.

Farm raised salmon tastes totally awesome... but that is because it is treated like a cow. It's fed lots of grain (and coloring agents), to turn it into big fat juicy market-ready specimen.

Delicious. Totally. Healthy, eh, you only live once. I've read the wild salmon is quite high in omega-6 compared to wild which is high in omega-3. I believe it based on the taste. Fresh wild Salmon is great too, but it's almost a different fish than the farmed variety.

As a previous poster said, pan searing is a great way to prepare fish. Nothing is more consistent or generates the beautiful crispy crust.

I season differently based on the fish. For a fish like salmon i just use a little S+P, and fully coat the fish and CI pan in oil, get it hot before below smoke point (~400F), and sear for about 2-3 minutes on the first side, and then flip and do a little less on the second. If it's an especially fat piece (1"+), i'll turn it on its sides for 30 seconds each to make sure the center is warmed. For a fish like tilapia, i like to use a blackening season and cook in butter. Tilapia is a pretty bland fish. I don't find it to taste like dirt though. Really i don't think it has much of any flavor, which is why it lends itself to intense seasoning (and fish tacos!).

Sauteed garlic shrimp, red onions, lentils & cherry tomatoes served on top of spinach.

Warm salad.jpg

I'm going all out tonight. Prefab hamburger patties in Ore Ida shoestring fries! Lol

LOL Travis! I went one easier - hit up In 'n Out for a double-double, animal style, protein style (translation - 2 beef patties, cooked in mustard, 2 slices cheese, grilled onions, tomato, pickles, lettuce, special sauce, wrapped in lettuce, no bun) and since I was being all virtuous with that low-carb choice, I had an order of well-done fries! Ordering them well-done gets you nice golden brown crispy shoestring-type fries, lightly salted. Oh man they're good.

As for the fish conversation - I won't buy tilapia at all. It's junk IMHO and yes, I've always said it tastes like dirt! No wonder, based on how it's raised. Yuck.

I also am not a big fan of fish cooked whole though. I like it steaked out or fileted. For rockfish/snapper, I like to panfry the filets in buttah. A little homemade tartar sauce (mayo, horseradish, sweet pickle relish, capers) is a good go-with.

Sauteed garlic shrimp, red onions, lentils & cherry tomatoes served on top of spinach.

That looks delish....not a big cherry tomato fan, though. Love tomatoes, but cherry tomatoes seem like more seed and goop, than tomato flesh. Plus, I prefer my tomatoes peeled. But that's just my weirdness.

That looks delish....not a big cherry tomato fan, though. Love tomatoes, but cherry tomatoes seem like more seed and goop, than tomato flesh. Plus, I prefer my tomatoes peeled. But that's just my weirdness.

I usually find them too sweet as well; however, that sweetness seems to play very nicely against copious amount of garlic that was used in this dish.
:mug:

Tom Yam Goong + Shrimp & Veggie rolls.

I usually don't like eating Tom Yam outside, as you always get inedible bits in your mouth that are put there just for flavoring - kaffir leaves, galangal (a/k/a "blue ginger") & lemongrass.

So I just bag them - like hops - and take the bag out once the soup is cooked. Then I can enjoy the soup uninterrupted.

Tom Yam.jpg

Shrimp roll.jpg

Wow, beautiful picture, @cpa4ny! Nice work!

Last night I made a chicken pot pie with two split chicken breasts and 5 thighs which I ovenroasted, then devoured the skins, then cooled and cut up the meat. Sauteed some brown mushrooms, a diced red onion, celery, and half a seeded zucchini, then added a can of VegAll, some cream of mushroom soup, homebrewed amber ale, seasonings, mixed it all up and into a pie crusted casserole, topped with another crust, sprayed with olive oil and baked an hour. KOTC loves this and I do too.

Tonight, leftover venison taco meat which I'll mix with refried beans and top up a big bunch of homemade tortilla chips, then a mountain of 5 cheese taco shred, pop into a hot oven til the cheese melts, top with some guac and diced tomato and seeded jalapeno, salsa on the side. Super nachos!

I was asked to make a cake for my grandmothers 95th birthday party. Background on the triangles.... She painted a series of these triangle paintings in the seventies and every member of my family has one hanging proudly in our homes. The last picture is one of the actual paintings. The cake is Orange with Orange curd and lemon orange frosting. Two dozen eggs, six pounds of butter, twelve cups of flour, six pounds of powdered sugar, ten cups of white sugar, fifteen oranges, lots of love and twenty hours of work. It is eighteen inches tall.

View attachment 1461967220079.jpg

View attachment 1461967231809.jpg

View attachment 1461967242194.jpg

View attachment 1461967261995.jpg

Love the art reference for the cake... Very cool.

I am an artist so I get it. MY mother was a painter so we all have a painting or two of hers.

@melana what a beautiful cake and touching family story. I think it is really cool how when you look at one side you don't see the others because it is cut so well. Any idea why my cake keep falling in the middle am I using too big of a pan I never use the right size pan

@cpa4ny those rolls look super super good. They bring back such strong memories thanks

Gorgeous trim on that, Prime wow. The marbling looks nice.

I woke up with cookie crumbs in my hair.

Back