What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're welcome ;)

Is that homemade phyllo?

You betcha! (it was homemade feta cheese, too). I was rolling/stretching it with a dowel, but I have the best rolling pin in the world and it works just as good, so the second batch was just with the rolling pin. I can knock out two dozen sheets in about an hour (plus 10 minutes of kneading by my Kitchenaid and an hour or two of rest time for the dough).

• 6 c flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4c oil
  • 1 1/4c warm water
Knead 10 minutes until it's no longer sticking to mixing bowl (add more flour until it's not sticky)
Put dough in oiled bowl and cover with seran wrap for an hour or two.
Cut into 12 equal chunks, roll each chunk into about 18"x18" very thin sheets, constantly throwing more flour onto work surface
Brush butter all over a sheet, put another sheet on top, butter again, slice into 3 strips, add a tbsp or more of filling, fold like the american flag into triangle.
More butter :)
Bake at 350 until light brown, ~30m

_mg_0869-66040.jpg

_mg_0875-66041.jpg

You betcha! (it was homemade feta cheese, too). I was rolling/stretching it with a dowel, but I have the best rolling pin in the world and it works just as good, so the second batch was just with the rolling pin. I can knock out two dozen sheets in about an hour (plus 10 minutes of kneading by my Kitchenaid and an hour or two of rest time for the dough).

• 6 c flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4c oil
  • 1 1/4c warm water
Knead 10 minutes until it's no longer sticking to mixing bowl (add more flour until it's not sticky)
Put dough in oiled bowl and cover with seran wrap for an hour or two.
Cut into 12 equal chunks, roll each chunk into about 18"x18" very thin sheets, constantly throwing more flour onto work surface
Brush butter all over a sheet, put another sheet on top, butter again, slice into 3 strips, add a tbsp or more of filling, fold like the american flag into triangle.
More butter :)
Bake at 350 until light brown, ~30m

Wow, I bow to you - that's an undertaking even I won't make! LOL! NICE job.​

Wow, I bow to you - that's an undertaking even I won't make! LOL! NICE job.

Haha, not really too hard. I was rolling last night while my wife was watching some terrible music awards show (Miley Cyrus has GOT to be the most annoying person in the world). I thought of using my pasta sheet roller thing on my mixer, but I don't think it would roll it thin enough. Might try it again next weekend though.

I would go with ABTs. Lol. They tend to ruin my gut too. But I have a clone recipe from a chain called fish city grill down here for cream of roasted jalapeño soup that is just amazing. I figure you could do it with hatch chilis if you doubled the chilis and it would be great. Have not tried that yet though.

Need the soup recipe!

Went to the store to buy some things for camping. Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Shrimp was on the menu for this weekend.

AND.....

No.

Shrimp was $13 a package. I'm debating substituting some other meat instead. Maybe chicken.

My version of a green papaya salad...because I used what I had on hand. Pretty good.

Forgot to post this from the weekend.

Roast beef and gravy, zucchini and tomatoes, roasted potatoes, and crusty bread.

Beef was seared on all sides in cast iron before going in a crock pot with beef stock, wine, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, oregano, and onion powder. It went for about 10 hours before I took the juices from the pot and made some super tasty gravy.

Zucchini was just cut up and sauteed with a can of tomatoes (our garden was kind of a bust this year), salt and pepper.

Potatoes were roasted for about an hour (I'm reasonably sure the key to great roasted potatoes is relatively high heat and turning every 10 minutes or so) with olive oil, plenty of salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary.

And lastly, super easy crusty bread. :D

roast beef potatoes zucchini bread.jpg

Threw this mess together last night. We've got several quart jars of sauerkraut in the fridge that I'm too lazy to can and really just wanted to make some room in the fridge, so I made some sauerkraut soup (based loosely on this recipe).

A bit of bacon and an onion went in first, then a bell pepper, then garlic, potatoes, chopped dried apricots, garlic, a jalapeno, and smoked sausage. Topped it off with chicken stock, a can of tomatoes, chipoltle powder, a few cups of sauerkraut, and a generous bit of sauerkraut brine. Toasted caraway and toasted fennel went in to a tea bag to steep (still haven't found that thing yet) for about a half hour before it was done. I think that was it...I threw it together on the fly and of course didn't write anything down :eek:

This turned out stupid good. It was supposed to rain today but ended up being on the hot side, which is too bad because this would be a great rainy/cold day meal. Nice and spicy and the sauerkraut brine complimented it beautifully.

sauerkraut soup pot.jpg

Forgot to post this from the weekend.

Roast beef and gravy, zucchini and tomatoes, roasted potatoes, and crusty bread....

That looks really good! I'm anxious to get back into fall/winter cooking, but it's still in the upper 90's here and will be near 100 this weekend. But first cold snap it's time for stick to your ribs roasts, soups, stews, etc.! :D

Been doing some recipe testing for fall. First order of buissiness is getting savory breakfast tarts right. All you could want in a delicious small package. Got a few things to work out still (ingredients and timing), but it is already pretty tasty.

This is prototype II. Parmesan topped egg yolk on a bed of spinach, toasted walnuts, portabello mushrooms, sage, and mozarella. All found in puff pastry with smoked paprika.

DSC02415.jpg

Back