What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have a bunch of jalapenos in the fridge. I *could* make some ABT's. They will ruin my gut, but they are so tasty!

What I need is a nice pork butt to make into pulled pork.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

I would go with ABTs. Lol. They tend to ruin my gut too. But I have a clone recipe from a chain called fish city grill down here for cream of roasted jalapeño soup that is just amazing. I figure you could do it with hatch chilis if you doubled the chilis and it would be great. Have not tried that yet though.

Made 2 batches of savory buns. In the photo it´s broccoli, chili, and parmesan. The other batch was spinach, carrot, chili, sage, thyme, and parmesan. The later was better due to its balanced complexity, however it was also too watery. Should have drained it a bit.

DSC06365.jpg

BBq'd beef ribs & tip roast yesterday with pin oak for our anniversary. Forgot all about the shrimp & peaches, so they'll go in the pit with hot dogs in a while. Gonna grill the tops of the peaches, then stuff with dried cranberries & top with a couple strips fontina cheese. Drizzle of honey to serve. Try to remember pics this time...
Pics-
Grilled peaches with dried cranberries, fontina cheese & drizzled with clover honey...

Dogs with grilled peach & jumbo shrimp-

Peaches and shrimp look fantastic!

I slow smoked them with pin oak on the coals from tree trimmings. The jumbo blue tiger shrimp came like 30 to a bag raw/frozen. Slow smoking gets the shrimp just right, but marinating would've made them even better. The peaches were surprisingly good! Brushed them with a combo veggie/ canola oils. Seared cut side down about 4-5 minutes over the coals with grate oiled as well. Flipped over indirect & stuffed with a bit of dried cranberries & covered with 2 strips Fontina cheese & roasted about 10 minutes or until cheese melts. 8 minutes to melt the cheese would've been better I think.
But the combination of flavors is unreal when you actually taste them. The hot peach halves mix their nectar with the warming honey to make a naturally sweet juicy quality of flavor. And the smooth, creamy buttery flavor of the fontina mixed perfectly with that. And the dried cranberries taste more like cherries, sweetened & changed a bit by the honey & peach juices. We're already planning to buy more peaches Tuesday when we get paid. Gonna experiment with grilling these sweet bits of goodness.
And I never thought to use the leftover beef ribs & tip roast for taco salad. Good stuff! * I also forgot to mention that bottle of kottbusser in the 2nd pic went well with the combo.

Last edited:
It took me 10 minutes to get that last picture to post right side up.

Just in case anybody else was having that problem with Windows 10:

It turns out that Windows 10 opens photos by default with a new application called Photos. When you are looking a photos with that app you can click a little button to rotate 90 degrees, which I did. The photo shows up in the app and in the folder view thumbnail in the right orientation. But when I tried to post it, it was back to it's original sideways orientation! Huff.

Apparently Windows 10 Photos does not really modify the file, it only modifies the display in Windows 10 and in Photos. So you cannot tell by looking at the thumbnail or opening the photo in Photos which side is actually up! The Brilliant Minds at Microsoft are always making thing easier for us.

If you open with the traditional Windows Photo Viewer, and rotate a picture, the picture also looks correct in Photo Viewer and the thumbnail view in the folder. But when you try and post that, it is indeed right side up.

I have to wonder sometimes where Microsoft's collective heads are at sometimes? My wife had a free download/upgrade on her laptop for W10. she had to have our son help her with it...

I slow smoked them with pin oak on the coals from tree trimmings. The jumbo blue tiger shrimp came like 30 to a bag raw/frozen. Slow smoking gets the shrimp just right, but marinating would've made them even better. The peaches were surprisingly good! Brushed them with a combo veggie/ canola oils. Seared cut side down about 4-5 minutes over the coals with grate oiled as well. Flipped over indirect & stuffed with a bit of dried cranberries & covered with 2 strips Fontina cheese & roasted about 10 minutes or until cheese melts. 8 minutes to melt the cheese would've been better I think.
But the combination of flavors is unreal when you actually taste them. The hot peach halves mix their nectar with the warming honey to make a naturally sweet juicy quality of flavor. And the smooth, creamy buttery flavor of the fontina mixed perfectly with that. And the dried cranberries taste more like cherries, sweetened & changed a bit by the honey & peach juices. We're already planning to buy more peaches Tuesday when we get paid. Gonna experiment with grilling these sweet bits of goodness.
And I never thought to use the leftover beef ribs & tip roast for taco salad. Good stuff!

When I saw it the first time I was thinking dried cherries would work well with those flavors too!

No, I would never boil my ribeye when I have a grill ;-)

It's not boiled. It's placed in a vacuum-sealed bag and held in water at whatever temp you want the finished product to be. 131* is a long long way from boiling.

Then finish it up on a hot grill, or cast iron skillet, or whatever. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it! ;)

WANT WANT WANT!! isn't sous vide great?

It's good, but so far I'm not ready to give up any of my hot heat cooking methods. While the interiors are cooked perfectly, there is definitely a lack of browning flavors, even when seared before serving. Still getting the hang of it though.

I sous vide in my mash tun - a 15G blichmann with a RIMS Rocket.

Ugh think the reason I'm getting so fat is because I make food like this and forget I ate it. That and 6 beers a day.

Just a simple quesadilla with marinated grilled chicken, peppers and onions, plus a pile of chopped iceberg with full octane sour cream, guac, and fresh pico de gallo. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440990514.260314.jpg

Great crisp on the tortilla. All about frying it in butter.

Ugh think the reason I'm getting so fat is because I make food like this and forget I ate it. That and 6 beers a day.

Just a simple quesadilla with marinated grilled chicken, peppers and onions, plus a pile of chopped iceberg with full octane sour cream, guac, and fresh pico de gallo. View attachment 300168

Hungry!

Flour tortilla ?

It's good, but so far I'm not ready to give up any of my hot heat cooking methods. While the interiors are cooked perfectly, there is definitely a lack of browning flavors, even when seared before serving. Still getting the hang of it though.

I sous vide in my mash tun - a 15G blichmann with a RIMS Rocket.

What I've learned on steaks is to cook them about 10* less than you want the finished product - that gives you room to really sear the outsides.

I love the sous vide for stuff like brisket, corned beef, turkey breast, etc. Makes such tender work of cuts that are typically slow-cooked.

Just a simple quesadilla with marinated grilled chicken, peppers and onions, plus a pile of chopped iceberg with full octane sour cream, guac, and fresh pico de gallo. View attachment 300168

More butter.

Apple tart things. I made another batch of spanikopita triangles yesterday (my wife REALLY likes them and has been eating them for lunch). Anyway, I rolled a bunch of extra phyllo dough sheets, and used it to make apple things (what are these called?). I made a filling of diced apples, cinnamon, sugar, and some corn starch to thicken it then wrapped the phyllo around it, then sprinkled powdered sugar and baked. Holy crud, these are good (I have to admit I just heated one up :). I also cut up some pears and made a pear filling. Nom nom. Next weekend I'm going to stuff meat into them. Phyllo triangles are versatile.

_mg_0878-66038.jpg

_mg_0881-66039.jpg

Apple tart things. I made another batch of spanikopita triangles yesterday (my wife REALLY likes them and has been eating them for lunch). Anyway, I rolled a bunch of extra phyllo dough sheets, and used it to make apple things (what are these called?). I made a filling of diced apples, cinnamon, sugar, and some corn starch to thicken it then wrapped the phyllo around it, then sprinkled powdered sugar and baked. Holy crud, these are good (I have to admit I just heated one up :). I also cut up some pears and made a pear filling. Nom nom. Next weekend I'm going to stuff meat into them. Phyllo triangles are versatile.

_mg_0878-66038.jpg

_mg_0881-66039.jpg

Looks like i have a weekend project... Mmmmmmmm spanikopita and Apple Turnovers.

Back