What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made Champagne Chicken last night, but put a twist on it. I cooked the chicken in a pan, as usual, then removed and made the sauce in the pan, and then diced the chicken and added back to make a sauce to pour over linguini.

Fried some Zhucchini in a pan with olive oil and butter. Haven't fried zucchini in a long time. No eggs, so I had to simply dredge in flour.

We had a local brew pub do a bacon and beer paring for Brunch. It was chicken fried bacon, regular bacon, duck bacon, and lamb bacon. I cant remember all of the beers :-x

12439467_10153962448488911_807213647571407416_n.jpg

That's just cool. Everything is better with bacon! It has to be true for beer too!

It was paired up really nice. Full disclosure this was my first time to try a sour beer. I think I only liked it because the vinegar sour like flavor actually did balance the fatty salty bacons. But I could never see myself just enjoying one alone.

I did something different with a medium-size bowl of left over mashed & (box kind) potatoes yesterday. Wife made her fried chicken again, & I took the bowl of mash & added about 1 1/2? cups of milk, 1C yellow corn grits, 3 thinly sliced green onions, about 1TBS Zaterain's creole seasoning, fresh ground black pepper, 1C hot pepper cheese, shredded, & 3 eggs. Stirred & folded to combine. Let sit for grits to absorb any extra liquid while greasing 2 corn bread pans. oven @ 425F. Split between both pans & leveled off, baking for 20 minutes. Or until top light golden brown & only slightly gives to the touch.
Comes out smoother & richer than just cheesy grits. Slices easily when warm. Could still taste the corn a little, but mixed with potato & cheese flavors. I'll give a more standardized recipe next time, as this was some of this & a little of that this time. I can eyeball it pretty close anyway...

In Denver I could have swore I saw a bacon beer festival. They were selling tickets for like $60. Anybody heard of this? Anyways interesting dish unionrdr.

In Denver I could have swore I saw a bacon beer festival. They were selling tickets for like $60. Anybody heard of this? Anyways interesting dish unionrdr.

Not sure about Denver, but we've had an annual "Bacon & Brewfest" in Missoula for several years now, put on by a local radio station & a few other sponsors. Not too fancy, but lots of bacony goodness & some tasty brews. Only $5 to get in, but you have to pay for all your food & drink. I've been to a few of them.
Regards, GF.

The addition of the chilled mashed potatoes makes the cheesy grits richer & a bit smoother I think? Gonna standardize the recipe next time I make it. Makes 2 cornbread pans worth. Would also be good with sawmill gravy or a marinara poured over it!

If any of y'all have dark sky's, the Perseids meteor shower is supposed to be peaking tonight. 200 per hour I have seen one.
I wanted to take my wife & I outside of town to get to a darker place for pics, since we now both have a DSLR. But rained & cloudy with thunderboomers all day & into the night. Dang...

I wanted to take my wife & I outside of town to get to a darker place for pics, since we now both have a DSLR. But rained & cloudy with thunderboomers all day & into the night. Dang...

We had clear but light polluted skies, with half a moon to make things worse. I saw 1 meteor! lol

We have way too much light pollution around here too. Would have to go way out of town for pics...

Camping this weekend. Supposed to rain this afternoon and possible storms tonight and tomorrow.

I don't get the excitement for these things anyway. I mean, you know what causes them, and after you've seen a few, what's the big deal?

Camping this weekend. Supposed to rain this afternoon and possible storms tonight and tomorrow.

I don't get the excitement for these things anyway. I mean, you know what causes them, and after you've seen a few, what's the big deal?

Well, I thought about having her use hers on the tripod, while I kept mine "on", and in video mode with my finger on the big button with the red dot on it. I wanna pan with it to try & get the camera to " see" it as we do?...might be cool to try & capture. but it's supposed to rain all weekend. Bummer.

We have too much smoke from the big Soberanes Fire south of us, and then coupled with the typical summer coastal crud, AKA fog, it's rare we get to see the Perseids. This is just not the right time of year to look at the sky at night unless you enjoy fog!

We have too much smoke from the big Soberanes Fire south of us, and then coupled with the typical summer coastal crud, AKA fog, it's rare we get to see the Perseids. This is just not the right time of year to look at the sky at night unless you enjoy fog!

You'll have to wait for the Gemenids!

Standardized the recipe for that side dish I mentioned earlier.
CHEESY POTATO GRITS

4-5C) Left over firm mashed potatoes, well chilled
5) Green onions, sliced thin
2 TBSP) Creole seasoning
Cracked black pepper to taste
1/2 Stick) Butter, melted
1C) Shredded cheese ( I used pepper jack)
3) Large eggs
1C) Yellow corn grits
About 1 1/2C of milk
Heat oven to 425F. Fold all ingredients by hand, as a mixer might make it too creamy. We want this to firm up a bit after mixing by letting the grits soak up excess moisture. Grease two corn bread pans & divide mixture evenly between them. level'em off & bake 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. They should be firm to the touch, giving only slightly. The cheese should be bubbling through the surface here & there as well. cut into squares & serve warm. These are good for dinner with gravy or marinara sauce poured over them. Or with sawmill or sausage gravy for breakfast. Makes 8-12 servings, depending on how hungry y'all are...

Standardized the recipe for that side dish I mentioned earlier.

CHEESY POTATO GRITS

4-5C) Left over firm mashed potatoes, well chilled

5) Green onions, sliced thin

2 TBSP) Creole seasoning

Cracked black pepper to taste

1/2 Stick) Butter, melted

1C) Shredded cheese ( I used pepper jack)

3) Large eggs

1C) Yellow corn grits

About 1 1/2C of milk

Heat oven to 425F. Fold all ingredients by hand, as a mixer might make it too creamy. We want this to firm up a bit after mixing by letting the grits soak up excess moisture. Grease two corn bread pans & divide mixture evenly between them. level'em off & bake 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. They should be firm to the touch, giving only slightly. The cheese should be bubbling through the surface here & there as well. cut into squares & serve warm. These are good for dinner with gravy or marinara sauce poured over them. Or with sawmill or sausage gravy for breakfast. Makes 8-12 servings, depending on how hungry y'all are...

Thanks for that post! Love potatoes, love grits, love cheese and butter, what's not to love with your recipe?!! Lol

Definitely worth a go!

Back