What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey foodies!

I harvested a bunch of long red chilis off my plants this weekend. And there's already a bunch more coming in. What would you make with chili peppers? I've been slicing them for nachos, but there's got to be some novel ideas out there.

Hot sauce is always a good way to use up a large crop of chilli. Get some sweet and spicy flavours going with mango and pineapple then balance that with as much chilli as your taste can cope with.

Either that or http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8257/sweet-chilli-jam

I've never had tasteless capers. However, fish and chicken with capers always benefit from a bit of lemon juice. It's a great complimentary flavor.

Meatballs with capers is tasty.
_mg_8251-62710.jpg

Made this Chicken Piccata recipe last night. It was ok.

Sat down to eat and the kids says, loudly, "This is SOUR!"

Yeah, the capers and lemon juice (Actually lime because I forgot to buy lemon juice before I got home) make it a tart taste.

It was edible. I don't think anyone stopped eating it, but we all agreed it wasn't one of our preferred recipes.

The funny thing is I actually liked the capers, so I'm going to be looking for more recipes with them, or maybe try adjusting this one to be less sour.

Fixed it up with Risotto with diced carrots, peas, and Parmesan cheese.

@passedpawn - bread & butter peppers are AWESOME, I make them with onion wedgies in there too. We eat them with everything.

I think somewhere way upthread I posted my recipe for them, made with jalapenos, but any pepper should be good.

Made this Chicken Piccata recipe last night. It was ok.

Sat down to eat and the kids says, loudly, "This is SOUR!"

Yeah, the capers and lemon juice (Actually lime because I forgot to buy lemon juice before I got home) make it a tart taste.

It was edible. I don't think anyone stopped eating it, but we all agreed it wasn't one of our preferred recipes.

The funny thing is I actually liked the capers, so I'm going to be looking for more recipes with them, or maybe try adjusting this one to be less sour.

Fixed it up with Risotto with diced carrots, peas, and Parmesan cheese.

Odd. My whole family asks for chicken piccata (I had some for lunch today). Even my picky inlaws liked it. Maybe the lemon helps. I have a lemon tree, so I never run out :)

@passedpawn - bread & butter peppers are AWESOME, I make them with onion wedgies in there too. We eat them with everything.

I think somewhere way upthread I posted my recipe for them, made with jalapenos, but any pepper should be good.

Found it. Thanks. I also found some ideas for the bushels of cherry tomatoes that I'm harvesting every weekend (a friend came by today and we were picking and eating them for lunch).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6170346&highlight=bread+butter+peppers#post6170346

Oh yeah they are good. I used your recipe for bread and Butter jalapenos and they are great. I am almost out of them and definitely will make another batch soon.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. (Vinegar flavored by pulling peppers is great on cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and greens.)

Chicken Tikka Masala - quick weeknight dinner.

Picked up the naans from the supermarket as well, but didn't care for them. Totally different than the authentic ones you get at an Indian restaurant straight out of the tandoor.

That looks delicious, I agree though supermarket naan doesn't come close to the real thing.

You're not going to sneak a little for a corned beer? St Pats day is right around the corner.

I'm not sure if I should make a snarky joke about corned beer (or make a corned beer... mmm sweet osmanthus and Sichuan peppercorn saison...) or start researching cuts of beef and their Chinese names so I can brine my own corned beef. Maybe both?

Lovely piece of meat! :mug:

How long does the entire process take? Any recipes that you can recommend? :tank:

Hi,

My process takes around 3-4 weeks. First cure/brine:

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons of pink salt (Prague Powder)
5 tablespoons pickling spice
4 cloves of garlic
1 gallon of water
Bring everything to a boil, then cool down overnight.
Make enough to completely cover the brisket. (I make 3 gallons for 2 briskets)

Add brisket(s) to brine and keep at 36-38 degrees for 3 weeks, flipping every week. Making sure all sides of the brisket gets exposed to the brine.

After three weeks take the brisket out of the brine and replace brine with cold water, add brisket to the cold water and replace back to the fridge for at 8 hours. This step helps get rid of extra salt.

You now have corned beef.

To make pastrami, smoke it!

I rub mine down with heavy pepper and coriander. Smoke at 250* with apple wood until the internal temp is 190-205. You can slice and serve now or cool it down and steam it the next day.

This is the abridged version of the Amazing Ribs recipe. To understand curing meats I would highly recommend checking out that website.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if I should make a snarky joke about corned beer (or make a corned beer... mmm sweet osmanthus and Sichuan peppercorn saison...) or start researching cuts of beef and their Chinese names so I can brine my own corned beef. Maybe both?

Dang it. I type beer so much on this site I guess my fingers just wandered off and did their own thing when I wrote that.

Lovely piece of meat! :mug:

How long does the entire process take? Any recipes that you can recommend? :tank:

I made it for the first time a couple of months ago and it turned out amazing! Pictures back on this thread somewhere. Now that Lakes is doing it again, I'm going to have to also. I really love pastrami :)

When I made it I followed the instructions here:
close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami

You have to follow the corn beef instructions, then move to the pastrami page. Lots of details on why you do what you do, brisket cuts, etc. Good luck if you try it. It's pretty cool and the results blow away any pastrami you have ever tasted!

Here's some pics from recent pastrimis that I made, in case anyone's looking for more. I detail my process and recipe pretty well in the first link. Second link is just more pics from a different make. Third link is some corned beef I made from half of one of those. Also adding a pic cause hey this thread needs pics.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6079585&postcount=2141
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6740244&postcount=4164
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7163397&postcount=11

_mg_8162-62527.jpg

Those pastrami look really good. Sadly I can't have it right now lol I've been on a curry kick lately though and just had an early dinner. I messed up the rice for the first time in my life though. I never measure my rice and water, I just eyeball it and it always comes out perfectly. This time I didn't add quite enough water so the rice is a little tougher than it should be.

View attachment 1457037359864.jpg

Those pastrami look really good. Sadly I can't have it right now lol I've been on a curry kick lately though and just had an early dinner. I messed up the rice for the first time in my life though. I never measure my rice and water, I just eyeball it and it always comes out perfectly. This time I didn't add quite enough water so the rice is a little tougher than it should be.

Its all good. The Italians call it al dente when they forget to cook the pasta enough. I am sure it works for rice too.

Eww and yummy.... Expressing my ignorance of the process

Haha, I have no idea what to expect either. I had this milk to make cheese over Christmas (!). It's forming curds now. I make cheese all the time, but first time with this type of experiment. I'm going to let it coagulate for another hour, then heat it up and tighten the curds, then dump into cheesecloth and break it up and salt it. I might cut up some chilis and make something unique: chili cottage cheese. Yea, I just made that up.

Haha, I have no idea what to expect either. I had this milk to make cheese over Christmas (!). It's forming curds now. I make cheese all the time, but first time with this type of experiment. I'm going to let it coagulate for another hour, then heat it up and tighten the curds, then dump into cheesecloth and break it up and salt it. I might cut up some chilis and make something unique: chili cottage cheese. Yea, I just made that up.

I'm not sure how I feel about this whole thing you've got going on right now xP but I guess if it works that's a good way to save 2 gallons of milk lol

Sour milk is also good for making biscuits. Add some poultry seasoning for a unique flavor.

It's just my wife and I here. Nobody is going to eat a basket of biscuits.

The curds didn't form very well. I ended up with something else. It wasn't bad, but not cottage cheese. More like ricotta. I'm going to save it and make eggplant lasagna this weekend.

I've got 2 gallons of whole milk I found in the back of the garage fridge. Expired Jan 10. I'm turning it into cottage cheese right now.

Good for you not wasting the soured milk, I guess you'll have a little extra tang in that cottage cheese. I'm not a fan of cottage cheese. Take it or leave it, I always leave it.;)

Good for you not wasting the soured milk, I guess you'll have a little extra tang in that cottage cheese. I'm not a fan of cottage cheese. Take it or leave it, I always leave it.;)

I love cottage cheese. I could eat a whole container of it by myself xP

This may easily be the best thing I've ever cooked. Especially for just winging it and never having had made fish tacos before or Mahi Mahi. The slaw is cilantro, lime juice, a bit of sriracha and ancho chille mixed with crema Mexicana, cooked the Mahi mahi with ancho, lime, and garlic and of course topped with avocado, sriracha and a squeeze of lime juice.

All the real food looks great. I just had a bowl of chicken noodle soup from Panera, this head cold has to go!

It seems like everyone is sick lately. I had a little 48 hour bug the other day, couldn't eat much of anything and kept me out of the gym for couple days. Hope you feel better soon and get to eat some real food again lol

Gotta be in the mood for cottage cheese; but in Summer, over sliced, ripe tomatoes with salt and freshly ground pepper...awesome.

For last night's dinner, basil pesto-crusted salmon with a wedge of Meyer lemon. Mixed fresh veggies consisting of small diced potatoes, sweet onion petals, sliced small sweet peppers, minced garlic, sliced carrots & mushrooms in a butter sauce with a lil salt & fresh cracked black pepper. I only had 5 potatoes left, so this is what I came up with. Had a nice natural sweetness to them. The browned bit of crust on the salmon, with the pesto & Meyer lemon was spot on!

Back