What det hop gives grapefrukt flavour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHaddock

Reaction score
Hi, my first posting on what looks like a good forum 😊

I just tasted an IPA (recipe not available) with a wonderful fresh grapefruity flavour.
I am curious to know: what kind of hop might I dry hop with to achieve such a flavour?

Lots of hops do that. Amarillo is a classic. But I've noticed Equinox (now Ekuanot) gives a huge punch of grapefruit. If you dry hop with it pretty early and leave it for something like 7-8-9-10 days in the fermenter you'll get a nice fresh and punchy grapefruit.

Cascade is best known for this flavor, but several newer hops exhibit it also. Amarillo has been called "super cascade".

http://www.brew365.com/hops_cascade.php

http://www.brew365.com/hops_amarillo.php

Centennial is often called super cascade. Im about to wail on a grapefruit ipa with amarillo, centennial, equinox in boil with big dry hop of chinook. 10% Grapefruit candi syrup to overload the citrus. S-05.

Fwiw i do not know if ekuanot/equinox gives grapefruit. I was hoping it would draw more tropical in my recipe. Cascade is your benchmark grapefruit hop.

OP: what beer was it that you tried? You may be surprised how many recipes are available [emoji6]
Or, worst case, someone may know what hops were used, especially in a commercial brew.

OP: what beer was it that you tried? You may be surprised how many recipes are available [emoji6]
Or, worst case, someone may know what hops were used, especially in a commercial brew.
It was a home brewed IPA, but the brewer is for personal reasons no longer approachable.
I have a little expeerience from all grain, but quite new to IPA.
I know there is a lot og info on-line, but prefer to become part of a forum - thanks for so much and quick input 😊

Ahtanum is by far the most grapefruity.
I object :)

It might be grapefruity, I havent used it that much. But Ahtanum is somewhat low in total oil content, especially comparing tio Equinox. So I you'd toss an oz of both into separate batches, I bet you that Equinox would out-grapefruit Ahtanum :)

Except Equinox doesn't taste of grapefruit. So no amount of Equinox will result in a grapefruit flavored beer.

Equinox is often described as papaya and green pepper. I'm not sure that accurate but its closer than grapefruit as a descriptor

Also there is nothing stopping you increasing you hop additions to compensate for a lower total oil content/g.

I disagree with a lot of the hops suggested in this thread.

Most hop taste of a generic citrus amongst other flavors. Even for those that are genuinely grapefruity that's only part of the story.

For example ctz is grapefruity but it is also very resinious and dank. Simcoe is grapefruity but also piney and catty.

Citra and galaxy are not particularly grapefruity. Citra is primary mango and tropic citrus like pineapple and galaxy is a more complex mix of fruit flavors.

Amarillo is often described as tangenalo which I think is actually an accurate description.

Centennial is very grapefruity but also very floral.

Cascade is quite grapefruity, so I agree with that.

Now I not saying you cant get grapefruit from these hops, after all the final flavor is a combination of ingredients rather that simply stating Citra will give you grapefruit isn't true.

Comet... comet used late is very strong grapefruit to me... pith, juice, everything. To some, I can see it being too assertive in that character (I love it).

What is the best online resource for detailed flavor profiles of hops? Particularly the ones developed and/or made popular only within the past 10-15 years.

Except Equinox doesn't taste of grapefruit. So no amount of Equinox will result in a grapefruit flavored beer.

Equinox is often described as papaya and green pepper. I'm not sure that accurate but its closer than grapefruit as a descriptor

Also there is nothing stopping you increasing you hop additions to compensate for a lower total oil content/g.

I disagree with a lot of the hops suggested in this thread.

Most hop taste of a generic citrus amongst other flavors. Even for those that are genuinely grapefruity that's only part of the story.

For example ctz is grapefruity but it is also very resinious and dank. Simcoe is grapefruity but also piney and catty.

Citra and galaxy are not particularly grapefruity. Citra is primary mango and tropic citrus like pineapple and galaxy is a more complex mix of fruit flavors.

Amarillo is often described as tangenalo which I think is actually an accurate description.

Centennial is very grapefruity but also very floral.

Cascade is quite grapefruity, so I agree with that.

Now I not saying you cant get grapefruit from these hops, after all the final flavor is a combination of ingredients rather that simply stating Citra will give you grapefruit isn't true.

That's funny. I haven't been using EQ a lot, just started recently. But what struck me was what I'd define as grapefruit. Lots. After a few days in the fermenter (not boiled), that's what I'm getting.

Yes it could be biotransformation by the yeast. Eq off the bat though is not that grapefruity

So, what happened to me and my brew after seeking help here? Well, I followed advice given, and dryhopped with Cascade (will try other suggestions when I brew more ;-) )

250g Cascade pellets in 40l turned out just wonderful, with the sought after aroma.

Thanks for help :mug:

Nice followup!

I can't personally tell much difference between Centennial and Cascade.

Back