what date to use to determine age of brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman101

Reaction score
howdy.
Probably just splitting hairs, but what date do you use to determine how old a brew is?
Brew date? Bottle date? Something else?

Mostly just curious. Most of the stuff I brew takes over a month to finish

I tend to think of my beer as having been born on the day it's brewed. I see the logic in using a packaging date as the "born-on" date, but what if you left a beer in primary for a month or two...or left a beer in secondary for a year while aging. What would be the ages of those beers?

Since the time the beer spends in primary or secondary is indeterminate, I'd think the brew day would be reasonable for dating a beer.

otoh, for many styles "mash day" is just the beginning and the beer isn't actually done until post-mash processes are completed...

Cheers!

I record my brews on brew day and make notes of when bottled, kegged etc. I am old fashioned and like paper notebook, but then update my software with the notes but always fall back on the hard copy.

It really depends on what you want the "date" to mean. How long since you started it? Or how long since you it was ready to drink. I note both, but in thinking "born on date" I would put that as when it was fully carbonated. Then again a pale ale would be ready to drink then but a Barleywine might not be ready to drink for another year......

IMO, either way the "date" doesn't really mean much. Once my beers are drinkable few cross the timeline to where the flavor is degrading (only one or two big beers were around long enough to be on the down side of the "flavor bell curve"

howdy.
Probably just splitting hairs, but what date do you use to determine how old a brew is?
Brew date? Bottle date? Something else?

Mostly just curious. Most of the stuff I brew takes over a month to finish

What about a "best on" date (aka when it has reached its peak)? Sometimes age matters, sometimes it doesn't.

Brew date. It provides a more consistent point of reference since I dont package every beer after the same amount of time.

Back