What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The O'Fallon Smoked Porter is pretty good. Although I agree about the rest of their line, not so great.

Has anyone tried Old Monk 10,000? I can't remember if I mentioned this one before or not. In case anyone is curious, it tastes like someone took a two dollar 40oz malt liquer and poured 2 shots of the worst tequila ever created into it. It's easy to recognize on the shelf. Its the glass bottle with so many air bubbles in the glass that you are a little bit afraid to touch it.

It was so bad that I feel a little bit embarrased to even admit to trying it.

There are 3 tied for 1st place for me.
One was a blond ale from a brewery in St. Charles MO that tasted like they used sweat to brew it instead of water.
The 2nd was a Belgian something or other, aged on cherries, and looked, smelled and tasted like the straight up juice from a jar of grocery store maraschino cherries.
The 3rd was a Berliner weisse I had at a festival that was just extremely foul. No other way to describe it. I held one sip in my mouth for approx. 2 seconds before abandoning the decency to even swallow it and spitting it into a nearby trash can. It was even an unappetizing pink color. (I think they put strawberries in it).
On a different note, looking through these posts, I'm like DFH 90? Enjoy By? Dark Truth? Whaaaaa? Insanity.

While I don't despise it, I was let down by Lagunitas Brown Shugga.
It was good, not great.
I had heard so much about how great this brew was, it just didn't live up to the hype.
I will drink it again next year, but won't save a bottle for my beer buddy neighbor.(we introduce each other to good micro brews)

Nobody despises craft beer more than BMC-style companies.

Here in Finland, they have just passed sweeping legislation preventing any and all forms of alcohol advertising. The law lists thousands of situations that are prohibited and there is a very active monitoring agency doing the enforcement.

Who was behind this? The Finnish equivalents of BMC (Karhu, Koff and Karjala). Everybody knows their name and they want to destroy the sales of all these pesky little newcomers.

Third Shift, and my dislike of it is no secret. Beer flavored kool aid masquerading as craft beer.

Here in Finland, they have just passed sweeping legislation preventing any and all forms of alcohol advertising. The law lists thousands of situations that are prohibited and there is a very active monitoring agency doing the enforcement.

Who was behind this? The Finnish equivalents of BMC (Karhu, Koff and Karjala). Everybody knows their name and they want to destroy the sales of all these pesky little newcomers.

The KKK is against beer? (Karhu, koff, karjala)

Lol

I gotta agree with a couple posts I've seen about DFH... I just don't get it, I've tried to make myself like their brews. I'm an IPA fanatic and just can't stand the taste of any of theirs.

Anything aged in bourbon barrels. Weyerbacher Insanity/Heresy... Harfdywood DIPA... I just don't want to taste bourbon in my beer.

Fascinating. This just wouldn't happen in the U.S. BMC thrives on advertising. Without advertising, BMC sales would decline regardless of the craft beer market share.

Dogfish head 90 min IPA. Sadly I was very disappointed. I also had a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that I did not like. I like most of SN's other stuff

Fascinating. This just wouldn't happen in the U.S. BMC thrives on advertising. Without advertising, BMC sales would decline regardless of the craft beer market share.

Is it really so that people would slow down drinking if they don't see advertisements? Or is that statement coloured by your own left-wing train of thought? Not saying that train of thought is necessarily negative, just posing an objectively seated question.

I recently just tried Stone's Coffee Milk Stout...couldn't finish it. In fact, couldn't even take a third sip. It was horrible (to me), and I love stouts.

Founders All Day IPA. I'm usually pretty gung ho for anything hopped up. This stuff did not appeal to me at all. This beer really emphasized to me how important decent balance is in an IPA.

Not to derail the thread, but what do you think is the purpose of BMC spending billions on advertising?

For them to try to take away market share from each other.

Without advertising, people are still going to buy beer.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat... i guess its not a secret.. i actually hate that beer and its gross artificial cherry flavoring.

+1

That goes for their blueberry thing too. Both taste like cough syrup to me.

Wow, I actually can enjoy Sam Adams over some of the nastier DIPAs and other attempts at "craft", I've never had a cough syrup taste that's interesting maybe I'll pick up a sixer and reevaluate.

Dogfish Head Palo Santo, for some reason I just can't stomach it. Love DFH though.

Wow, I actually can enjoy Sam Adams over some of the nastier DIPAs and other attempts at "craft", I've never had a cough syrup taste that's interesting maybe I'll pick up a sixer and reevaluate.

Dogfish Head Palo Santo, for some reason I just can't stomach it. Love DFH though.

I tend to agree with you on a lot of this. Sam Adams was my favorite craft beer (and before anyone says it, yes, it's still designated as craft by the brewer's association) for a long time before I started branching out into the more esoteric stuff, and I still drink and enjoy their beers from time to time. They have a few (and what brewery doesn't?) that aren't as good -- often I don't love their fruit-flavored or chocolate beers. Still, they seem to get a lot of sass just because they're bigger and more accepted in the mainstream market, and I guess it just isn't hip to say that maybe that's okay.

As for DFH Palo Santo Marron, I think it's a darn tasty beer overall, but I can hardly finish a snifter of it because of how boozy it is. I'll take mine in a 2 oz sampler, please!

Anything with blueberries in it. I love blueberries, fresh, in baked goods, yogurt, pancakes, whatever, but for some reason every time I have it in beer....yuck.

Def not an IPA guy; however Ballast Point's Sculpin and India Pale Ale (the original), along with Rock Bottom Brewery's Zombiere (Black IPA) have been the only one's I seem to like, but def IIPA's make me wanna gag. Almost anything Iversion/ Stone (also just way over rated, but have some of the best marketing people around)/ Rogue/ Green Flash/ Aztec Brewing Co/ and New Belgium's Munich Helles was one of the worst MH I've ever had. I fell into the hype until I tried my first and last Pliny the Elder, yeah it was an udder let down, I would've rather drank a Coors original. I love Abita Beer since I grew up drinking it in South Louisiana, but that Pecan Harvest is just not happening.

I tend to agree with you on a lot of this. Sam Adams was my favorite craft beer (and before anyone says it, yes, it's still designated as craft by the brewer's association)
. . .
Still, they seem to get a lot of sass just because they're bigger and more accepted in the mainstream market, and I guess it just isn't hip to say that maybe that's okay.

As for DFH Palo Santo Marron, I think it's a darn tasty beer overall, but I can hardly finish a snifter of it because of how boozy it is. I'll take mine in a 2 oz sampler, please!

You said that perfectly, when I made my beer cap table a majority of it was Sammy's, when a brewery does do over 50 beers (Dogfish Head does 32 I believe) some are bound to slip through the cracks.

On Palo Santo, I actually thought it was an IPA when I bought it hahaha boy was I in for a shocker, still very good but so heavy.

Why? I love Stone

I definitely don't hate them, but I feel that Stone's beers have gone down hill recently. IMO theyre putting too much energy and focus into expansion and not as much into innovation in craft beers. I still love going to the brewery and drinking their beers, but I feel that their beers 5 years ago were way better than today's. But that could also be due to a shift in preference of craft beer. Who knows?

Here is a quick summary of this thread for anyone late to the game:

Post 1- I hate x beer...
Post 2- Really? I love that beer, explain
Post 3- Can't explain
Post 4- I hate IPAs
Post 5- I can't stand x company...they went down hill, where are the good ol'days!?
Post 6- I hate IPAs
Post 7- I hate x beer
Post 8- Really? Thats my favorite!
Post 9- Ugh, I just can't stand x style, only for hipsters
Post 10- I hate IPAs

Repeat

Anything from Bell's but they has more to do with Larry Bell wanting to snuff out all competition. Not buy them like InBev and others but rather have them produce so little that it's a hobby and not a viable option for full time owners.

However I do drink Two Hearted if it's the only micro ish available.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I don't even see how they call it a stout!
You cant be serious? That is a top 5 beer for me...easy.

I definitely don't hate them, but I feel that Stone's beers have gone down hill recently. IMO theyre putting too much energy and focus into expansion and not as much into innovation in craft beers. I still love going to the brewery and drinking their beers, but I feel that their beers 5 years ago were way better than today's. But that could also be due to a shift in preference of craft beer. Who knows?

No, I tend to agree with and I think Stone is losing a bit of ground. For example, their coffee milk stout is terrible. TERRIBLE. never would have said that 5 years ago about any of their beers.

I won't name names, but:

1. Sweet, malty IPAs... and IPAs that are not even bitter. Some bitterness is important for this style. Get with the program.
2. IPAs brewed with Belgian yeast. Just no...
3. Weird beers, brewed by mediocre breweries who are putting out trendy offerings instead of first perfecting basic styles.
4. Imperial stouts that are thin bodied and riddled with bitterness; just brew a Black IPA instead.
5. Sours that aren't even sour.
6. Chile beers... Fruit beers.
7. Barleywines. Much overkill. Such sweetness. Most calories. Yuck.
8. Witbiers... Nuff said.

Post 1- I hate x beer...
Post 3- Can't explain
Post 4- I hate IPAs
Post 5- I can't stand x company...they went down hill, where are the good ol'days!?
Post 6- I hate IPAs
Post 7- I hate x beer
Post 10- I hate IPAs

Repeat

+1 whoops lmao

I'm not feeling the IPA hate that is suggested in the previous posts.

Sure, a bad IPA is like drinking cat piss filtered through a box of week old kitty litter. There is nothing worse than a poorly designed IPA sitting in a warehouse so it can develope skunk flavors ontop of the poor hop selection and profile it was born with.

The truth is, few IPA's suffer this fate. The most common fate is that they sit in amber bottles so long that they have lost most of the aroma they were brewed to exhibit. They don't sell at the right time.

I've made many IPA beers. One of the most important elements to enjoying them has been consistant with all of them. You must drink them when they are at their prime. That perfect prime lasts for about 60 days. You must drink them in that time frame to know what the brewer intended. If you go outside of it, you are not drinking the beer the brewer intended. You are drinking something else. If the brew is a really strong one, above 8% ABV, you might be ok. Still, more often than not, this isn't the case.

Anyone hating on IPA's may need some further education on IPA's. Sure, some of you simply do not like the taste of hops. If you are part of that club, I simply don't know what to say to you. Then again, I don't like lagers. I'm an Ale guy. I like beer that doesn't taste like water. Then again, some poeple don't actually like beer at all. They want beer that tastes as much like, not beer taste, as they can possibly find. And I think that is ok. It's called, "I like American Lagers". I cannot relate. I don't like American Lagers.

Dear Moderators - There is clearly something amiss with the site - NOT with my laptop. Everytime I clink on the link that will take me to the LAST PAGE in this thread, it is clearly NOT the last page. The thread goes on and on - appearing to not really have a last page at all. Please research this and let me know if there is ever really a last page.
Sincerely, Dead Horse

+1 to perfecting the basic styles first before doing something weird like a bacon beer or something. I'm looking at you Darkhorse.

Post 1- I hate x beer...

Post 3- Can't explain

Post 4- I hate IPAs

Post 6- I hate IPAs

Post 7- I hate x beer

Post 10- I hate IPAs

Repeat

You forgot the...

"This thread is stupid/I'm going to complain about it because my beer geekery is clearly more advanced than these other people" posts.

Back