What can I make??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeirvine

Reaction score
Ok so the title is a little misleading, but basically I have some left over grains from previous batches and a dry Irish stout kit and I'm wondering what if any of this anyone could recomend to add into the kit to make better.

So the kit is
6lbs Golden LME
1lb Roasted Barley
2oz Nugget hops (I think, I'm at work or I'd check)

And what I have laying around is....
2lbs of rawr 2 row
.8lbs of roasted barley
.75lbs of flaked barley
.5lbs of Vienna Malt
and 3oz Halletau hops

I already planned on doing a partial mash with the 2 row and probably adding another half pound of roasted barley....
I'm fairly clueless when it comes to my grains since I've only done one partial so far and haven't even gotten a chance to try.

But without ordering anything else how would....
6lbs LME
2lbs 2-row
1.5lbs roasted barley
and 1/3lbs of flaked barley sound?

Also what would thoughts on adding the Vienna to the partial? And as for hops I don't think I've ever seen a Stout calling for Hallertau but what would opinions be on adding some of those?

I typed in this recipe into beer calculus after reading up on the vienna in the stout:
6lbs gold LME
2lbs 2-row
.5lbs Vienna
1.5lbs Roasted Barley
.33 lbs flaked barley
2oz nugget (60) Min
Muntons Gold

and I came out to a OG of 1.065 and an FG of 1.018 with 74.2 IBU 34 SRM with an ABV of 6.3%

Is 1.018 too high of a final? I'm fine with more alcohol, and I think the Vienna will give a nice bit of maltiness to it, but is 1.018 going to be too sweet for dry stout?

1018 looks a little high. But if you are going with that amount of IBUs then I don't think you would be overwhelmed by sweetness.

Back