What can I make with what I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckr

Reaction score
I am wanting to make a small batch for an upcomming trip. I have a 'Cowboy Golden Lager' kit and a 'Blonde Ale' kit from a Mr. Beer setup. I was my intention to use the blonde ale LME, thow in a handful of steeping grains, a little extra DME, and maybe some hops. I sent the wife the the LHBS with a list (that stated for 2.5 gal batch) and I think the guy gave me quantities for a 5 gal.

What I have:
The Mr. Beer LME (stated above)(19.4oz)
1lb Crystal 10L
1lb crushed Vienna
2lb light DME
1lb dextrose
1oz Talisman hops (5.8AA)
a few different yeasts but probably will use notty

According to this paper he wrote, I should have an OG of 1.045 and FG of 1.011 for an ABV of 4.4% - this has to be for 5 gals, correct?

I have the equipment to do 5 gals and now what appears to be the ingredients. Any suggestions on how to piece this togather?

I was thinking:

Steep crystal 10 and Vienna for ~30 mins.
bring to boil
add corn sugar, 2lb DME, .5oz hops
boil 55 mins
add remaining hops and LME
boil addt'l 5 mins
cool, pitch, ferment, bottle

Any clue what I could expect from this... ?

Well... finally got around to purchasing Beersmith. I need to play and practice with it for a while to figure out exactly what I'm doing with it but punched in my stuff and was able to duplicate his numbers using 5gal. I'll just toss this all in a pot in a few hours (adding all the hops at once - didn't realize it would drop IBU so much splitting them up). It'll make something, just not sure exactly what yet.

Back