What Can I Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I drove to our 2nd closest local brew store (40 miles away) to get a few things for my first all grain batch. I got there and picked out my grains, about 15 pounds worth, and was told that they could only mill 1 pound of grain at a time and had to limit me to 5 pounds of milled grain.

Slightly saddened (as my main shop will gladly do it all but are currently closed for remodeling), I went ahead and choose my 5 pounds of grain that I wanted and a 4 pound can of hopped extract.

This puts me a few pounds less than what I had originally needed, and want to post my recipe to see if you all can give me any pointers, or what the possible gravity will be if I use 5 gallons of water.

4.0 Pounds of Pre-Hopped Pilsner
2.5 Pounds Munich
2.5 Pounds 40 Crystal Malt
0.5 Pounds Chocolate Malt
0.5 OZ Perle Hops
Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian Lager Yeast)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 42.11 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 26.32 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 26.32 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) Yeast-Lager

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.63 %
Bitterness: 0.0 IBU
Est Color: 25.5 SRM

I just got beer smith so I hope I did it right. Thats for a 6 gallon boil....5 gallon batch size with 75% efficiency (partial mash). I didn't figure in the hops.

Neither of these help in your current situation, but first, don't ever go back to that LHBS again. To me that's a little odd that they would limit the amount of grain the would crush. Either crush it all, or don't offer the service.

Second, get yourself a grain mill and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Thanks for the quick responses, that was 100% what I was looking for, and what I had expected. I was kind of weirded out by the guy at the shop, he said that most peeps don't ask for that kind of service, that they usually just crush for flavorings. Haha.

I had planned on using 20% Pilsner and 80% Munich for a Bock like beer. And while I've seen a pilsner based recipe, how close will this get me? Any idea if using the pils extract will this throw it off really bad compared to a normal Munich based bock?

Looks like you've got a pretty tasty dunkel on your hands here. mmm Wish I could lager

That might be a lil too much choc malt though......someone else will have to chime in on the specifics of a good dunkle.

I'm not to familiar with dunkels so I'm interesting in seeing what it'll taste like. Thanks again for the tips.

Actually looking at it again.....it might be more of a schwarzbier. Oh well it'll probably be good whatever it is.

An example of a dunkel btw would be Warsteiner Dunkel.

Neither of these help in your current situation, but first, don't ever go back to that LHBS again. To me that's a little odd that they would limit the amount of grain the would crush. Either crush it all, or don't offer the service.

Second, get yourself a grain mill and you'll never have to worry about it again.
Agreed, that homebrew store sucks! what a bunch of A-holes. I mean why wouldn't they let you do it? that's just so lame. sorry bro.

Latest posts

Back