What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just showed up prime delivery. Going to vacuum pack some meat. The upright freezer we ordered in May showed up last week.

B1C89140-BB23-4A0B-B4BA-6BCB6F1755BA.jpeg

Some hops for an early birthday present - EKG, simcoe, nelson, & lots of mosaic. Also some beer line cleaner - powerpunch 22. UPS delivered the first bottle to the wrong house, but kegworks replaced it promptly.

That’s the hope. I’ve wanted one awhile kept putting it off. I hope I don’t regret being a cheapass and buying the 39$ model. Oh well.
Naturally, a few days after my order I get an email code for 10% off everything. It never ends...
That capper looks like the one I have, it is easy and reliable.

I would say the majority of us use that exact same capper. The handle plastic piece may pull off, clean the bell after use, and enjoy. It's been working wonders since I bought mine quite a while back. After three or four or six batches with the wing capper I was over it. This is SOOOOOOO much nicer!!

That’s the hope. I’ve wanted one awhile kept putting it off. I hope I don’t regret being a cheapass and buying the 39$ model. Oh well.
Naturally, a few days after my order I get an email code for 10% off everything. It never ends...
That capper looks like the one I have, it is easy and reliable.

Blackberry mild certainly works.

Bueberries are difficult, you need a lot to get a good flavour out of them (or perhaps freeze/unfreeze?)

Three pounds of hops; one of Chinook and two of Mosaic, took advantage of YVH flash sale last week. Usually they get my hops here in 3-4 days, this time it took a week, since we've had so much snow in the mountains and covid madness. Tempted to switch up my planned Citra/Sabro for tomorrow to a Mosaic Smash, haven't done one in a while....

Saturday through the AIH sale we acquired our next red wine kit, some shrink wrap for xmas bottles, and a stir bar to go with the stir plate I received as a gift. Now, I can start making starters to start my beer with. Or something like that.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the Ananeono. I thought It was great. In fact I’m heading back to the market where I bought the single can, hope to find more.
Definitely a tasty beer, and sneaky for 10%. This is ~2 months old and probably stored in a warehouse before I got it but if it's this good now, I imagine it's special when fresher
20201116_200839.jpg

Definitely a tasty beer, and sneaky for 10%. This is ~2 months old and probably stored in a warehouse before I got it but if it's this good now, I imagine it's special when fresher
View attachment 706866
Excellent, glad you like it. I agree, at 10% and so smooth it's extremely sneaky for sure. I was only able to score one more can of this. But the "Beer Dude" said they'll be getting more Equilibrium beers in soon. Yay!!

Got a dry hop tube delivered, and it's actually dry hoping a beer right now after being cleaned and sanitized.
Got some mexican chiles delivered too, mainly Jalapeños but I got some habaneros and serranos too, they are not intended for beer but who knows, maybe I can brew something with them if I have anything left, I'm planning on picking some, turn others into sauce, some fermented for sauce and the rest freezed, well, some Habaneros will come back to life next spring through their seeds as I'm planning on cultivating some

IMG_20201118_124308.jpg
IMG_20201118_122703.jpg

What came in the mail today was a cga320-cga320 transfer tube with relief valve, to go with the 20 pound siphon tank I finally sprung for yesterday.

siphon_tank.jpg

I was able to put just over 3.5 pounds into a room temperature 5 pound cylinder that was almost empty (might have been an ounce left). Didn't do any venting, just hooked it up and let it rip until it stopped, closed both cylinders and vented the tubing before disconnecting both cylinders.

Easy peasy and the only loss of CO2 was what was left in the tubing. There's no reason to try to put 5 pounds in the cylinder which would likely waste a pound of CO2 to accomplish.

It cost $29 to fill this bad boy. It costs $21 to fill a 5 pound cylinder at the same company. I run three gas systems all with 5 pounders and the fill cost was a *****. This is gonna pay for itself in under a couple of years...

Cheers!

What came in the mail today was a cga320-cga320 transfer tube with relief valve, to go with the 20 pound siphon tank I finally sprung for yesterday.

View attachment 707260

I was able to put just over 3.5 pounds into a room temperature 5 pound cylinder that was almost empty (might have been an ounce left). Didn't do any venting, just hooked it up and let it rip until it stopped, closed both cylinders and vented the tubing before disconnecting both cylinders.

Easy peasy and the only loss of CO2 was what was left in the tubing. There's no reason to try to put 5 pounds in the cylinder which would likely waste a pound of CO2 to accomplish.

It cost $29 to fill this bad boy. It costs $21 to fill a 5 pound cylinder at the same company. I run three gas systems all with 5 pounders and the fill cost was a *****. This is gonna pay for itself in under a couple of years...

Cheers!
Did the source tank get cold during the transfer? If so, you might be able to get more into the receiver tank by letting the source tank warm up, and then repeating the fill process. You also might try putting the receiver tank in the fridge and having the source tank at room temp.

Brew on :mug:

The siphon tank did not obviously chill - even though this was a liquid transfer, physics dictates there was some drop in temperature due to incidental vaporization. But it was full, so the mass was pretty much maximum. And the transfer took less than 10 seconds before it stopped on its own.

I'm sure if I stuck the empty 5 pounder in one of my freezers overnight I could have gotten more in there, but really there's no need to fill more than the "easy peasy/minimal loss" mode that my first fill accomplished. So what if the fill is only 70% of capacity - the mothership is just 30 feet away :)

When I've watched folks at my old lhbs (RIP, Strangebrew) fill my 5 lb cylinders there was a lot of wasted gas. They said they lose about 1/6th of the gas through repeated venting and filling to hit an honest 5 pounds in the tank - and that factored into the price. I prefer not to go that route and will stick with the easy-peasy thing :)

Cheers!

Not today but this week I got a couple of cool things in the mail. My brother sent me a huge box of homegrown assorted Chinense peppers. A medium flat-rate box totally full. Most of them are just a little bit hot (I think they are called spice peppers, or seasoning peppers) I've been eating them as fast as I can, but it's a race before they spoil. I haven't figured out what to cook with them.

The other thing was a Raspberry Pi starter kit (model Zero W.) I've been having fun playing with it. (trying to set it up as a "pi-hole" on my router was a disaster) I just ordered a Tilt Hydrometer a few minutes ago and will use the Pi to log the data from it. I'll probably keep a separate SD card to use the Pi for other things when I don't have any beer in the fermenter.

Got myself a nice little surprise when we got home from a walk!

Attachments

• 88C39135-77A3-433D-8A53-51E9506ACE6B.jpeg
    88C39135-77A3-433D-8A53-51E9506ACE6B.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 34
  • DB70947A-D6F5-498D-ACA9-9240FDCC5177.jpeg
    DB70947A-D6F5-498D-ACA9-9240FDCC5177.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • E887F23B-D622-4AB8-9D72-6AAC9F888956.jpeg
    E887F23B-D622-4AB8-9D72-6AAC9F888956.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 32
  • C3052187-ACD0-4ED2-8DBC-28B6261A6760.jpeg
    C3052187-ACD0-4ED2-8DBC-28B6261A6760.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 34
  • 095D876B-4A0C-48A1-B5CC-002243831A6D.jpeg
    095D876B-4A0C-48A1-B5CC-002243831A6D.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 32
Yes, but I don't know how to cook with these. Might be better to cut them up and dry them; my brother says he has about a gallon (!!) of ground (in a blender) dried peppers. That's kinda what I'm planning to with them after another day or two of eating them fresh.
You can freeze them and thaw them before you use them and just do whatever you want as if they were fresh, dry them, pickle them, ferment them, etc

My taps were supposed to arrive this coming wednesday. Instead I got them today. Not going to complain!

Back