What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wednesday got my hop order; a pound each of Galaxy, Sabro, and Citra from YVH. And yesterday got the order from brewhardware, with some new o-rings for the disconnects, four new universal poppits (two of which have already been installed, not a minute too late) and another couple of rubber tap covers to keep the omnipresent fruitflies out of my taps. Always like ordering from them, fast shipping and good prices; not to mention those little orange o-rings that go in female disconnects are a b*tch to find around here. Thanks Bobby!

A few days ago from @Section1
IMG_20200615_083346.jpg

😳.....😳😳??? Romulan ale maybe??? Orions' Belt bock???
I haven't seen anything on this, so I'll bite. In what capacity shall you be using said magnets for a dry-hopping experiment?

You guys are too much. :)

My plan is to re-brew a pale/ipa (I called it "Dancing Bobber") that I brewed a few months ago that was just so good. It kind of borders the pale ale/ipa threshold, but is probably an ipa, at 5.5% and great juicy/hoppy flavor. In the fall I hopped it with Citra and Idaho7 hops. I dry hopped in the keg, left them in until kicked. This time I plan on adding Galaxy along with the the other two hops, but I wanted to play around with dry hopping in the fermenter, but without introducing the amount of oxygen that opening the lid will.

The magnets - I ferment in a Speidel 30l plastic fermenter and don't want to open the lid to add dry hops. From another thread here I got the idea to put the dry hops in a hopsack along with a couple magnets (magnets will be in a vacuum sealed bag), and put them inside, but up against the lid, with magnets on top of the lid holding the hopsack with magnets in place. After fermenting a few days I'll pull the magnets from the lid, dropping the hopsack into the fermenting beer.
I have one of these for low/no oxygen transfer to the keg.

Will it work? Will this one be better than Dancing Bobber? Guess I'm going to find out.

Last edited:
Wire shelving, Erlenmeyer flask, 1000 ml separatory funnel, funnel stand, 50ml vials, 15 ml vials, hanna digital refractometer. Really in the fence about another grainfather conical fermenter since they are on sale. 2 would let me brew every week as one would start and the other would finish right after.

Wire shelving, Erlenmeyer flask, 1000 ml separatory funnel, funnel stand, 50ml vials, 15 ml vials, hanna digital refractometer. Really in the fence about another grainfather conical fermenter since they are on sale. 2 would let me brew every week as one would start and the other would finish right after.
Until you need a third.......I had two and need to skip a week so I just bought a third, not the Grainfather ones. My BL has two of them and loves them.

Until you need a third.......I had two and need to skip a week so I just bought a third, not the Grainfather ones. My BL has two of them and loves them.
LOL, yeah I pulled the trigger on it and the cooling kit. Should be here Monday, but now I really want a crankandstein 320G and aleworks motor. Ill probably get it next month and finally be done with all this equipment. I really went full in on this, but grown men have grown men hobbies lol.

Oh yeah! After my disappointing experience with the Mash and Boil (not the system’s fault, but my home electrical system) I’m ready to dive in to the all-in-one game. Now I’m just waiting on my fermzilla to come to do my first 5 gallon batch.View attachment 685529

Didn't notice you had an issue with your M&B. What was it? Curious :)

Didn't notice you had an issue with your M&B. What was it? Curious :)

It was sort of a whole string of things that happened at once. We got new appliances so I moved the old fridge out to the garage to be my kegerator which is on the same circuit as my two “ferm chambers” (mini fridges) and we built a new back porch that added a bit of load to the same circuit. This is the same circuit I would have had to run the M&B on. I tripped this circuit twice while brewing with my induction burner this past Monday.

I realized I had a spare 240v circuit from a hot tub that no longer exists so the Foundry made the most sense.

You guys are too much. :)

My plan is to re-brew a pale/ipa (I called it "Dancing Bobber") that I brewed a few months ago that was just so good. It kind of borders the pale ale/ipa threshold, but is probably an ipa, at 5.5% and great juicy/hoppy flavor. In the fall I hopped it with Citra and Idaho7 hops. I dry hopped in the keg, left them in until kicked. This time I plan on adding Galaxy along with the the other two hops, but I wanted to play around with dry hopping in the fermenter, but without introducing the amount of oxygen that opening the lid will.

The magnets - I ferment in a Speidel 30l plastic fermenter and don't want to open the lid to add dry hops. From another thread here I got the idea to put the dry hops in a hopsack along with a couple magnets (magnets will be in a vacuum sealed bag), and put them inside, but up against the lid, with magnets on top of the lid holding the hopsack with magnets in place. After fermenting a few days I'll pull the magnets from the lid, dropping the hopsack into the fermenting beer.
I have one of these for low/no oxygen transfer to the keg.

Will it work? Will this one be better than Dancing Bobber? Guess I'm going to find out.

i wish you luck with the magnet dry hops and hope it was my post that inspired you! My citra pale ale that I did that with is kegging now and my carb sample last night was delicious!

i wish you luck with the magnet dry hops and hope it was my post that inspired you! My citra pale ale that I did that with is kegging now and my carb sample last night was delicious!
I honestly don't remember, but I suppose I can go back and try to find the thread. I should have subscribed to it, but unfortunately I did not. I remember it going off on a tangent, or at least into some things that I didn't see being practical to me and my process. If it was you I thank you for the inspiration. Hope yours turns out tasting great. I'd love to hear about it when you have a chance to try it.

I honestly don't remember, but I suppose I can go back and try to find the thread. I should have subscribed to it, but unfortunately I did not. I remember it going off on a tangent, or at least into some things that I didn't see being practical to me and my process. If it was you I thank you for the inspiration. Hope yours turns out tasting great. I'd love to hear about it when you have a chance to try it.
Enjoying a glass of it now. Great color, citra comes through on the nose and in the taste but low bitterness so super drinkable (hop additions were only whirlpool and dry hop).

Attachments

• 00A0B6CF-D538-4993-ACBD-511D5606FA8D.jpeg
    00A0B6CF-D538-4993-ACBD-511D5606FA8D.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 10
Enjoying a glass of it now. Great color, citra comes through on the nose and in the taste but low bitterness so super drinkable (hop additions were only whirlpool and dry hop).
Looks great. I plan to brew mine soon, but I'll practice the magnet trick first. I'll try it with my fermenter empty and 2 1/2 oz of dry cat food in place of the hops.

Here's my original attempt at this back in October, but with dry hopping done in the keg instead.
20191012_151124.jpeg

Looks great. I plan to brew mine soon, but I'll practice the magnet trick first. I'll try it with my fermenter empty and 2 1/2 oz of dry cat food in place of the hops.

Here's my original attempt at this back in October, but with dry hopping done in the keg instead.
View attachment 685683
So now it's magnets AND cat food???😵😵😵. That's gotta be wrong and illegal no matter what quadrant your in!!!!

Back