What brew would go well with chocolate malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarFromBilly

Reaction score
Recently made a big holiday beer, that's now fermenting. It called for some chocolate malt. I have half a pound left and would like to incorporate it as a steeping grain in an extract wheat beer. Does anyone have any suggestions that I can use instead of making a chocolate wheat or things I can add to my chocolate wheat to have a better chance of it turning out, I am thinking of adding a bit of cherry too it, but am uncertain.

I love chocolate malt and use it a lot. You could brew an English mild, brown ale, porter, or a stout. All of those you could use a 1/2 lb of chocolate malt.

And if your not a fan of porters? Either I'm not a fan of porters are I just have not found one I like yet.

And if your not a fan of porters? Either I'm not a fan of porters are I just have not found one I like yet.

Ever tried Koff Porter? Pure black gold in a bottle! In fact, I think I need to make a run to Alko and pick up a few bottles for this evening's sauna.

I haven't tried any of those. I have tried a milk stout, troegs java head, and an assortment of others that I can't remember the names to. I think I am going to make a chocolate honey wheat ( that's what I have in house )

Wouldn't really be to style (don't think the chocolate malt flavor would be the most appropriate), but you could use a portion of it and go Dunkelweizen.

I have brewed 2 batches of JZ's Who's Your Taddy Porter, and all I can say is Wow. I should say I modified the recipe slightly, and no, I haven't opened a Samuel Smith's to taste side by side, but all of JZ's recipes that I have tried were amazing. My wife, who is a giant supporter of my home brewing,(and the direct cause of this crazy obsession) says I should enter this batch in the next contest available. At present, I have 3 batches in the primary fermenter. A BIPA, with an IBU of 91 not counting the the 2 ounces of dry hopping, an Oatmeal Chocolate Stout in D-rest, and an ESB that I started 2 days ago. Damn, I love my wife! If you want my TP recipe, let me know.

I used chocolate in my black IPA with molasses, hopped heavily for bittering to counteract and residual sweetness of the molasses. If I would do it again I would add a lot more flavor / aroma hops to make it more of an IPA it came out like a standard black ale but was very drinkable.

You could also use chocolate in a milk stout.

Some Porter suggestions, try Stone's smoked porter or Big Sky's Robust Porter.

Back