What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished this - captivating! I laughed, I cried, it's got it all. Taking the test Saturday morning.

Interesting thing, I found a typo in the book and emailed the author. He replied in about 1 minute and told me he's gonna send me the next book (General Class) for the typo report. :rock:
View attachment 773367

I hope congratulations are in order!

I would say that's a pretty good reward. When I punched my ticket, I took the tech and general on the same day. I took my time studying for the extra though.

The ARRL has a multitude of good books for hams. The antenna book is practically a bible for hams.
http://www.arrl.org/arrl-antenna-book
It's an awesome hobby, and I personally have learned a lot of skills that I use in my day job too, and have met lots of great people.

I would say that's a pretty good reward. When I punched my ticket, I took the tech and general on the same day. I took my time studying for the extra though.

The ARRL has a multitude of good books for hams. The antenna book is practically a bible for hams.
It's an awesome hobby, and I personally have learned a lot of skills that I use in my day job too, and have met lots of great people.
Thanks! Yes, I passed. Call sign not issued yet. I am planning to take General soon - waiting for my study guide to arrive.

Radio is on it's way. I've got one antenna here (6M) and one on the way(40M). I just bought that antenna book on amazon. Free shipping there.

Company Commander by Charles B. MacDonald. A memoir of his time in command of I Company, and later G Company, of the 23rd Infantry Regiment 2nd Infantry Division Nov '44 through the end of the war.

Wife and I read this over the course of a few weeks, while having some drinks on the back porch in the spring. I recommend the audio version because it is read by the author. I worked in a 4 star restaurant, and a bar when I was in college, so I could relate to a lot of the book.
514zrYO-J+L._SL500_.jpg

Some of the better books I've read lately:
  • Confessions of a Vintage Guitar Dealer: The Memoirs of Norman Harris
  • Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory
  • Big Fish by Daniel Wallace
  • Hell Divers by Nichols Sansbury Smith
  • Maze Runner by James Dashner
  • Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

@betarhoalphadelta I ended up picking up Broken Earth Book 1, and am most likely going to read Harbinger also, thanks for the recommendations.

Folks here have mentioned Bernard Cornwell. He writes historical fiction from old England and is best known for his books on The Last Kingdom. I am reading one of his about the Elizabethan theater called Fools And Mortals. So far very engaging. I'm about 30% in.
We're just coming to the end of Season 2 of The Last Kingdom on Nitflox. It's escellent.

@betarhoalphadelta I ended up picking up Broken Earth Book 1, and am most likely going to read Harbinger also, thanks for the recommendations.

The writer of Harbinger, Olan Thorensen, also has a series called "Destiny's Crucible". I can give a short synopsis of the premise without it really being a spoiler:

American chemistry grad student Joseph Colsco is on a flight from SF to Chicago. Looking out the window, he sees a flash and then all hell breaks loose. He wakes up on an alien craft speaking to an AI who tells him that the collision was accidental, and they have repaired his injuries (which took two years). They can't let him back on Earth, because he now knows of the existence of aliens, but these aliens are investigating the past where some other alien race transplanted humans to other planets in that region of the solar system (for unknown purpose). They offer that he can be dropped onto one of those planets, a place where technology is circa 1700's Earth, or can choose termination.

He chooses the alternative planet. He arrives on an island, slowly learns the language and blends in to the local culture, all the while trying to find ways to use his knowledge of technologies unknown in this society (and his chemistry background) to uplift their society. At the same time, the island has a small occupying force of one of the main empires from the rest of the planet, bent on subjugating the island and incorporating it into the empire. Obviously a conflict will ensue, and Joseph (now called Yozef due to language/pronunciation differences) becomes a more and more pivotal factor in that conflict due to his knowledge.

The only true "sci-fi" portion of this is the premise of how he ended up on-planet. It's not really so much "sci-fi" after that point.

To give you an idea of how this series has gripped me, there are 8 books currently. I bought book 1 on June 20. I am now halfway through book 8.

I highly recommend it.

 Waterman, by David Davis. Bio of Duke ahanamoku, Hawaiian swimming legend and trailblazer.
It is interesting to see how the world record times of the early 20th century were basically as fast as the  state-level records of high school swimmers of the early 21st century.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Rereading Will Wights Cradle series before the last book is released later this year. I love this series, it’s an action packed king fu fantasy series that removes a lot of fluff. 2-300 pages a piece and now I’ve got my wife hooked. She’s on book 3, which is one of the best

I'm currently working my way through three different books. When driving I'm listening to my Audible copy of Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson.

Here at work, I have two new books that I'm working on. I'm concentrating mainly on Yeast by Chris White with Jamil Zainacheff right now, but also dipping into Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll to see what I need to order to make some cheese and set up a cheese cave.

IMG_9820.jpeg

Very good book! Seeing your hard copy makes me wish I could afford to buy all my favorites in both hardback and audible versions. I've got about 450 books in my audible library. I rarely buy hardback versions anymore.

As I'm getting older (closer to 70 now than 60), audibles are getting to be my preferred option.

I'm currently working my way through three different books. When driving I'm listening to my Audible copy of Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson.

Here at work, I have two new books that I'm working on. I'm concentrating mainly on Yeast by Chris White with Jamil Zainacheff right now, but also dipping into Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll to see what I need to order to make some cheese and set up a cheese cave.

View attachment 779124
Just finished Rhythm of War. Can’t wait for my kickstarter books to get here next year. Bought the hardcover of those

General is done, will be taking my Extra this Saturday. Gotta lotta studying to do this week to get ready for it! I'm pretty much memorizing the contents of the following book right now:

1661658395827.png

Re reading Iain M. Banks culture series. Quite pleased I can barely remember them as they are excellent. That is one series of scifi books I wish could be made into a good tv show.

I'm about halfway through this one. It's really well written. I read (partially read) Michener's Hawaii years back, and remembered that Capt James Cook discovered the island. Bought this, and now finally getting into it.

Amazon.com: Farther Than Any Man: The Rise and Fall of Captain James Cook eBook : Dugard, Martin: Kindle Store

View attachment 778991
Tagging on....

Read many of Michener's classics and loved them all. Best of the Best was "Centennial". Not quick or easy reads, but the texture and depth of his prose are among the best at creating visual imagery from the written word. Michener needs to be consumed slowly, enjoying every morsel.

Tagging on....

Read many of Michener's classics and loved them all. Best of the Best was "Centennial". Not quick or easy reads, but the texture and depth of his prose are among the best at creating visual imagery from the written word. Michener needs to be consumed slowly, enjoying every morsel.
Centennial was excellent. I learned SO much reading that book about 100 yrs ago. Funny, he spends several chapters in the beginning explaining the tectonic activity in the area, then you become acquainted with a family of beavers (I think), then Indians. Humans come along and drama ensues. In the process, with details of poled Herefords and how the west was won (by Englishmen), you're that much smarter for it.

So, I agree!

General is done, will be taking my Extra this Saturday. Gotta lotta studying to do this week to get ready for it! I'm pretty much memorizing the contents of the following book right now:

View attachment 779135
Congrats, and good luck. Memorizing the content is the way to go. i get annoyed at pretentious hams that think you need to understand every detail. The purpose of this as I see it, is to prove you know the law, and to expose a ham to new concepts.

Congrats, and good luck. Memorizing the content is the way to go. i get annoyed at pretentious hams that think you need to understand every detail. The purpose of this as I see it, is to prove you know the law, and to expose a ham to new concepts.
I wonder about this licensing as well. But the ham community has been around forever, and I'm reluctant to make waves. Anyway, off topic for HBT.

Centennial was excellent. I learned SO much reading that book about 100 yrs ago. Funny, he spends several chapters in the beginning explaining the tectonic activity in the area, then you become acquainted with a family of beavers (I think), then Indians. Humans come along and drama ensues. In the process, with details of poled Herefords and how the west was won (by Englishmen), you're that much smarter for it.

So, I agree!
Growing up in the Midwest, I knew the spelling of the remarkable beef species, as well as the fine steak house in Kansas City known as the Hereford House, but we always pronounced it "hurfurd" rather than the grammatically and phonetically proper English "here ford". Either way, it turned me into an unrepentant carnivor.

I've been listening to this while I cycle commute, and it's such a great book.
51F9xUwEpdL._SL500_.jpg

I just bought this, and haven't started it yet but I'm really looking forward to it.
41SH-SvWPxL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Slowly working through Tolkien's "old lore" (Silmarilion, Fall of Gondolin, Berem and Luthien, Children of Hurin are done, still need to get into Unfinished Tales).
Also starting to read the Dune prequels. I don't think it is the same quality as F. Herbert's series, but it is fun.

I've been listening to this while I cycle commute, and it's such a great book.
51F9xUwEpdL._SL500_.jpg

I just bought this, and haven't started it yet but I'm really looking forward to it.
41SH-SvWPxL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Clean code is pretty great, though a bit dated in some of the more modern languages. He has another book called clean architecture that I took a lot from as well.

Clean code is pretty great, though a bit dated in some of the more modern languages. He has another book called clean architecture that I took a lot from as well.

I did enjoy it, but wow it's basically entirely focused on Java and OO, maybe I didn't read the description well enough. I think I'll add "Clean Architecture" to the wish list, but will probably end up fishing for a book on design patterns for now.

This was a good book as well that I just finished:
41CE05yyNRL._SX260_.jpg

My first try at being an author. I added this book to this forum post once before but wanted to let y'all know I have the Kindle price on Amazon currently set to $0 (free) for Oct 4 through Oct 8. Absolutely no cost if you want to give it a try. The Lich of Thandorien - a satire/comedy LitRPG type book incorporating role playing (think D&D) and lots of beer. The Lich of Thandorien: Crypts & Crusades, Book 1 - Kindle edition by Dragon, Zak. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Grab a copy while it's free - I appreciate any and all feedback if you do.

Does anyone here like to read detective stories? In the fall, I'm in the mood to read a good detective story. I like books from a Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo

My first try at being an author. I added this book to this forum post once before but wanted to let y'all know I have the Kindle price on Amazon currently set to $0 (free) for Oct 4 through Oct 8. Absolutely no cost if you want to give it a try. The Lich of Thandorien - a satire/comedy LitRPG type book incorporating role playing (think D&D) and lots of beer. The Lich of Thandorien: Crypts & Crusades, Book 1 - Kindle edition by Dragon, Zak. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Grab a copy while it's free - I appreciate any and all feedback if you do.
Now $2.99 but willing to give a fellow brewer a try!

"The Earth Book of Stormgate", by Poul Anderson. Also "Madame Bovary" (Dutch translation, not the French original) which is there since the summer of 2018, just trying to slog through the story. Also, my e-reader with Dickens, Wodehouse, and a whole lot of books about fermentation, baking bread, making cheese, beer. Also currently reading some Conan the Barbarian collections.

Does anyone here like to read detective stories? In the fall, I'm in the mood to read a good detective story. I like books from a Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo
Man I LOVED Nelson DeMille's John Corey books. Start with Plum Island and Lion's Game. They are all gread!

If you like those, maybe try his John Sutter books (The Gold Coast was one of my favorite reads ever!)

1668093274659.png

Latest posts

Back