What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my wife one of those kindle-laptop computers for her birthday with the carrying case. I think I finally got her talked into getting my first book on kindle, Time Lords 2034:The Alternate Prometheus. She's in it, so she should at least find it interesting? She also told me by the prices she's seen, she thinks I should charge more?!

Finally reading Infinite Jest after finishing ‎Consider Phlebas. I should get an award for that many pages read.

Finally reading Infinite Jest after finishing ‎Consider Phlebas. I should get an award for that many pages read.

Did you see the movie End of the Tour? It's a mock interview with David Wallace regarding his book tour after Infinite Jest is released. Jason Segal is awesome, Eisenberg is his normal manic nervous self. Pretty cool movie if you're into subtle introspective stuff like that.

Started reading The Boys in the Boat two nights ago. Already know I love the author.

Right when the book starts, there's a picture of the rowers going up Lake Washington. What a blast from the past. I've paddled a kayak up the middle of the same lake (many have, I'm sure, but I'm from FL so it was neat to me). In the picture below, I'm probably just to the right of the original Univ Of Washington boat house where those rowers brought out their boats.

seattle-october-2007-012-62723.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Bookshelf" includes Kindle/iPad.

I stopped collecting books a long time ago, switched to kindle, now read on an iPad. I don't miss the books much at all, especially the crappy low-contrast paperbacks.

And thus, I collect more dust.

I recently found a book by Hugh Howey called "Wool" that I devoured so quickly the I ended up buying the rest of the trilogy, "Shift" and "Dust"... Good stuff.

Read all of them, maybe based on this comment, so maybe thanks! For others, it was REALLY captivating. Classic literature? No. Edge of your seat, absolutely. No doubt will be made into a movie.

I just picked up a 1968 printing of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at a garage sale for a quarter.

Wonderful read. Should be on everyone's bookshelf. No way to read it now without picturing Jack.

I'm not much of a sci fi reader, I suppose, but I loved a bunch of stuff by Vonugut

I read much of Kurts stuff. All very good. I particularly liked Galapagos, and the recent Timequake.

Just finished the "Arsenal of Democracy", after "One Summer America 1927". I found both facinating

I did read that 1927 book. What a great read. I learned so much about that period, and overseas flight. I probably read it based on this recommendation - thanks! I love Bryson.

Finally got my Kindle app on the new computer, & my files input. Thank God the old Gateway saved a backup in June before it died a slow death! I read my youngest son Matt's 1st book, " Remedy For A Dream". A rather disturbing look at one young man's journey through hell. Or was it his own daemons staring back at him? It reminds me a lot of Rod Sirling's Night Gallery.
Got treasure Island, Pride & Prejudice, & Aesop's Fables free. Bought Mastering The Craft of Making Sausage, now that we have the Kitchenaid with grinder & stuffer kit. The author covers a lot of real world info that seems quite practical so far. Treasure Island, the original, is nice to read again after so many years!

Been using the kindle to reread the classics. Working through 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea right now.

Mainly posted for book reccos. Cheers!

Gotta see what classics are on there, like Hawthorne, The Tell-tale Heart & other Poe stories, HG wells, Jules Verne, Dickens, etc. Love unabridged classics.

Still haven't finished Sword of Shannara. Installed a Pool game on my phone and somehow end up playing a few rounds instead of reading. I really need to get that book finished and get on to the second one. Behind on the TV show as well, which isn't too bad, considering it's targeted towards young adults. At least there are a couple of young hotties in it anyway!

The Giver was just OK. Interesting premise, slow build, then pow it's over. Fast read, good thing.

Reading the following now. I'd love to find a book with some action, but I keep falling into these types. Will fix on next one.

51mwFdkP0JL.jpg

Currently kinda reading Gordie Howe's Autobiography. Actually it's pretty interesting, but with the daylight running out so late in the evening I end up doings things until past bedtime. I'm usually reading in bed before falling asleep.

Capital Dames, Cokie Roberts. Figured I'd try to read a book that focuses on the social and political circles of women prior, during, and after the Civil War.

Mastering the art of making sausage mostly. SWMBO & I got the stuff to do the mechanical part. Wanna make some 5lb batches to freeze. I also figured out how to put PDF's in my kindle reader APP. My camera guides go in there now as well! :rockin:

Finished "The Life we Bury" last night. Very quick read, real page turner, sophomoric writing style, fairly predictable. I'd recommend for a vacation, but not for serious late night on the couch reading.

Launched into Hugh Howey's Shift. Now I remember why I liked Wool series so much. Very cool. If anybody wants to get into this, you can get Wool/Shift/Sand all in one Kindle download pretty cheap. All 3 series are finished.

51IrohY%2BAmL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Just started reading "Off-Centered Leadership" By Sam Calgione of Dogfish Head Brewery. Really good read. Real page turner. Totally recommend:
1119141699.jpg

I hadn't seen that one yet? Downloaded two PDF books from Jim chapman, " Practical Guide To airgun Hunting", & the second addition of same with even more info. This guy practically wrote the book on the sport. Lots of good information on everything you need, etc.

Just finishing up End of Watch by Stephen King, then onto The Way of the Fight by George St. Pierre.

Pilgrims Wilderness - it's about a man who moves his family into the Alaskan Wilderness to be closer to God, but then it gets weird. It's a true story and I highly recommend it.

Was reading Sword of Shannara, but it got boring. I ended up opening The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. Always a funny and enjoyable fantasy read.

Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey

Sometimes I have to drive out into the country, turn off all my devices, and listen... to everything and nothing but my thoughts.

Thank you. It has been to many years since I pulled Abbey off the shelf.

I just finished Laila Lalami's The Moor's Account, which was wonderful so I will have to Desert Solitaire will definitely be on deck for tonight.

Back