What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your Single Malt's "deal" is it's named for an eel, that's Glen Moray,
When your dram of the day is Saccopharyngidae, that's Glen Moray!
🤣

20211013_184415.jpg

Edit: Jeez it's WAY time to clean the bar mat!
:ghostly:

Last edited:
My just kegged Oktoberfest/Marzen.
Got tired of orange O'fests. I found Hubert Hanghofer's Ur-Marzen recipe and tweaked it a bit. Turned out nice. It seemed to emulate what I used to get many years ago before the "Festbier" replaced the original Oktoberfest. In particular, Hofbrau had a great O'fest back then - dark and very easy to drink. Not quite there, yet, but still working on it. I'm thinking some Munich Dark might be the answer.

Can farming be less work than a brewery? That farming stuff looks like real work.
Most of the heavy lifting in farming has been reduced by technology. There’s still a certain amount of manual labor. Just climbing up and down the ladders which provide access to the cabs of our tractors and combines is a pretty good workout. The operator’s seat is 8-9 feet up and one gets in and out of a machine multiple times a day. But brewing, on the typical brewpub scale, involves a lot of schlepping grain bags, scooping out mash tuns, etc., and, if brewing 4-5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, doesn’t give the brewer a break. At least most of the manual labor involved with my occupation is seasonal; I have the winter to heal up.

Most of the heavy lifting in farming has been reduced by technology. There’s still a certain amount of manual labor. Just climbing up and down the ladders which provide access to the cabs of our tractors and combines is a pretty good workout. The operator’s seat is 8-9 feet up and one gets in and out of a machine multiple times a day. But brewing, on the typical brewpub scale, involves a lot of schlepping grain bags, scooping out mash tuns, etc., and, if brewing 4-5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, doesn’t give the brewer a break. At least most of the manual labor involved with my occupation is seasonal; I have the winter to heal up.
Well when you put it like that

You'd hire people to do the heavy lifting and just do the brew mastering!!!

My just kegged Oktoberfest/Marzen.
Got tired of orange O'fests. I found Hubert Hanghofer's Ur-Marzen recipe and tweaked it a bit. Turned out nice. It seemed to emulate what I used to get many years ago before the "Festbier" replaced the original Oktoberfest. In particular, Hofbrau had a great O'fest back then - dark and very easy to drink. Not quite there, yet, but still working on it. I'm thinking some Munich Dark might be the answer.
Consider a Dunkelweizen or a Shwartzbier as well :) Doppelbock, anyone?

My first beer in 9 days. HB NEIPA. Tastes weird… but then again nothing tastes quite right yet, and from what I understand, might take a long time, if ever. I’m happy to see that it doesn’t look like mud though.
View attachment 745348
My taste came back in about two weeks. Smell took months and it still comes and goes at times. Go luck and get better

I am kind of in Wine/ Cyser mode, but I just kegged an amber Belgian Dubbel I made a couple weeks ago. Waiting to bottle a couple of gallons of Seyval wine and my Cyser, but I keep stealing samples of it;). I also just started a batch of mixed black grapes, about 130 pounds worth crushed yesterday and innoculated today. That won't be ready for months though.

Consider a Dunkelweizen or a Shwartzbier as well :) Doppelbock, anyone?

My O'fest recipe has shifted from roughly 1/3rd Pils, Munich & Vienna (orange beer) to a Munich/Vienna mix with a little CaraMunich III. In view of my effort to emulate the Hofbrau O'fest of old, I'm considering subbing maybe a pound or so of Dark Munich for the Light Munich. Setting aside the higher percentage dark munich's you point out as changing the style, what would a small bit of dark munich add to an o'fest/marzen?

You'd hire people to do the heavy lifting and just do the brew mastering!!!
One of the things that people who don’t own a business don’t understand is that everybody else gets paid before the owner. If I want to make beer without knowing if I‘m going to get paid this week I’ll just keep homebrewing. I don’t need to trade the uncertainty of the business I already own, and have 45 years of experience in, for the uncertainty of a business that I have 0 years of experience in.

One of the things that people who don’t own a business don’t understand is that everybody else gets paid before the owner. If I want to make beer without knowing if I‘m going to get paid this week I’ll just keep homebrewing. I don’t need to trade the uncertainty of the business I already own, and have 45 years of experience in, for the uncertainty of a business that I have 0 years of experience in.
Was just encouraging you because you seem so dang good at it!

Tried the peach? I love that one. I haven’t had luck finding any varieties around here lately though.
I was hopeful to try all four last night and saved the peach for last but was exhausted and couldn't stay up any later. I look forward to trying it tonight. I lucked out at our local Wegmans (grocery store) and found all four bottles in the make your own 6-pack for $12 in the beer cooler. Yet on the European shelf they had them all in full 4-packs and the mixed 4-pack. They were $15/4-pack if my memory was correct. I had been eyeing these beers but kept holding off and I am glad I did! Got the mixed 4-pack cheaper and two other beers.

Back